Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-08-2010, 06:56 PM

28,164 posts, read 25,201,121 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cleasach View Post
You can't discount something because it's outside of your experience. I have most definitely seen firsthand women who make a very big production about breast feeding in public. They will sit on a bench in the mall and overtly dramatize setting themselves up to breast feed. You can just tell that they are doing this for show and they look around constantly to see if people are watching them.

I think people like that have issues of their own and desire attention of some kind. Maybe they think by doing this people are going to look at them and think, "Oh, look at that wonderful mother..." Maybe they are exhibitionists and get some satisfaction out of making people uncomfortable (whether that discomfort is legit or not). I really don't know what the reason is but I have seen it many times in malls, in parks, and on public transportation.

I think most breast feeding moms exercise discretion but there definitely are those who make a big production out of it in order to get attention.
Orrrrr....they are exercising their freedom to BF in a manner that is comfortable for them and their baby and not giving a crap what others think. I say to those women - ROCK ON!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-08-2010, 06:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazyworld View Post
cleasach and that is all most of us were saying before this thread got out of hand...well said.
Got out of hand? By having people disagree? Is that out of hand?

Old 04-09-2010, 12:20 AM

2,383 posts, read 6,048,106 times
The public is given confusing rules on exposed breast. It's okay to pull your breast out in public if you're a breastfeeding mother, but it's not okay of you're a stripper or just a girl looking to have a good time and sun bathe at a public beach! Please, before you jump down my throat understand that I'm not arguing what's right and what's not, but simply that when people are given mixed signals, you're going to get mixed reactions!

Old 04-09-2010, 05:56 AM

20,797 posts, read 9,717,002 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magritte25 View Post
Got out of hand? By having people disagree? Is that out of hand?

Nope because you pretty much KILLED the thread with the anger and attacking everyone's posts.
Everyone was having a great debate here.

Old 04-09-2010, 06:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazyworld View Post
Nope because you pretty much KILLED the thread with the anger and attacking everyone's posts.
Everyone was having a great debate here.

I didn't kill anything. Sorry if posting facts and logic is considered anger. LOL

Everyone was having a great time bashing the woman in the OP. Certainly wasn't a debate.

Old 04-09-2010, 06:16 AM

43,011 posts, read 107,764,882 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dvcgal View Post
The public is given confusing rules on exposed breast. It's okay to pull your breast out in public if you're a breastfeeding mother, but it's not okay of you're a stripper or just a girl looking to have a good time and sun bathe at a public beach! Please, before you jump down my throat understand that I'm not arguing what's right and what's not, but simply that when people are given mixed signals, you're going to get mixed reactions!
Good point! People will claim it's different because it's feeding a child. But it shouldn't be different. Society should lighten up on the taboo of breasts.

Old 04-09-2010, 06:17 AM

43,011 posts, read 107,764,882 times
The only time I've been uncomfortable about breast feeding was when a neighbor breast fed her children past 3 years old.

It was weird to have them walk over to her and verbally ask her to feed them. They were just too darn old to be breast feeding IMO.

Old 04-09-2010, 06:50 AM

2,839 posts, read 9,963,899 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopes View Post
The only time I've been uncomfortable about breast feeding was when a neighbor breast fed her children past 3 years old.

It was weird to have them walk over to her and verbally ask her to feed them. They were just too darn old to be breast feeding IMO.
Oh, now you've opened a whole new can of worms! LOL!!

(says the woman who nursed her daughter until she was 3 1/2...)

Old 04-09-2010, 07:26 AM

26,785 posts, read 37,782,011 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoExcuses View Post
That's no proof. I want to see photos or some kind of proof.

I've been in Canada many, many times and been in Toronto and Montreal among different places and NEVER saw a woman breastfeeding topless in restaurants or anywhere else.

My brother was in Germany for two years and never mentioned anything like that. Neither did his wife and she had their baby there.
For what it's worth, I happened to be in a restaurant in the Quebec city of Gatineau* yesterday and a women at the very next table breast-fed her child at their table.

*Two hours west of Montreal and right on the border with Ontario

Old 04-09-2010, 07:46 AM

2,825 posts, read 6,911,191 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TouchOfWhimsy View Post
Oh, now you've opened a whole new can of worms! LOL!!

(says the woman who nursed her daughter until she was 3 1/2...)
^^ Raises hand - my older daughter will be 4 in two months and still nurses sometimes. Though not outside of our home for like a year now, so most people wouldn't even know it. She is old enough to wait, but a baby is not. My baby still nurses any time, anywhere that she is hungry.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting