Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-07-2010, 08:52 AM

1,135 posts, read 2,378,993 times

Advertisements

I feel very blessed at the moment.

I am sitting at work in a room I share with three male coworkers and I'm breast feeding my two-month old baby as I type this. No one has batted an eye. In fact, I don't think they're even aware that I'm nursing.

As I look down at my baby, nothing is showing. My shirt covers the entire breast above the nipple and her mouth and face covers the breast from the nipple down. You can see a bit of my tummy where my shirt is lifted, but less than what you see when girls wear tank tops at the beach.

I have no problem nursing in public and I doubt most people even notice. There's no reason to take off your top or pull it down and the only time someone may see a quick flash of nipple is if my baby is having trouble latching on.

I can't believe that so many people are "offended" by moms who choose to breast feed in public rather than in a car or restroom. I've never read a post by someone offended by the half-naked women seen regularly on daytime television or on gigantic billboards.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-07-2010, 08:58 AM

20,797 posts, read 9,717,002 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by maciesmom View Post
It's not the breastfeeding that most people object to. Like previous posters have said, most of the time women are breastfeeding, people around them are not even aware. It's the VERY FEW people who thrive on making people uncomfortable - they have figured out that they can USE breastfeeding to legally do this. If it weren't breastfeeding, they would be finding some other way to draw attention to themselves.
Well said!

Old 04-07-2010, 08:59 AM

1,476 posts, read 2,019,906 times
Quote:
It's not the breastfeeding that most people object to. Like previous posters have said, most of the time women are breastfeeding, people around them are not even aware. It's the VERY FEW people who thrive on making people uncomfortable - they have figured out that they can USE breastfeeding to legally do this. If it weren't breastfeeding, they would be finding some other way to draw attention to themselves.
I think you're right.

Old 04-07-2010, 09:01 AM

43,011 posts, read 107,764,882 times
Quote:
I have to say I find it a little odd that she had 2 experiences of being asked to cover up within days of each other. Then the police were called because she and her fiance were making a scene. Then she talks about staging a "nurse-in" at this restaurant. This does not sound like someone simply trying to feed their baby.
It does sound like she planned this to make money via lawsuits or to simply draw attention to herself.

Old 04-07-2010, 09:32 AM

1,016 posts, read 4,533,500 times
I have no problem with discreet breastfeeding in public, and the vast majority of mothers who breastfeed do so discreetly. Its the activist types who feel it is their personal mission in life to change the public's perception of breasts that bug me, and feel an in-your-face approach is the way to go about this. These are the types that make no attempt what-so-ever to be discreet and proudly let it all hang out. These are also the types who almost seem to be looking for a fight so they can whip out their law cards, sue, or stage a nurse in. These types of women, I feel, are actually doing more to hurt the cause of breastfeeding than they are helping it. I feel the majority of women don't want to be naked in public, or have attention drawn to themselves, and when you make a big scene you are only going to scare impressionable moms-to-be away from breastfeeding. I wonder if this woman was one of those types? Just my opinion, and again, I have no problem with discreet public breastfeeding.

Old 04-07-2010, 10:17 AM

426 posts, read 789,894 times
I cannot believe how people are so prudish! It's a baby for goodness sake and it needs food! If the mother was without child and "flashing" everyone then I would understand, but the baby was eating!!!! We all have nipples people!

Old 04-07-2010, 10:56 AM

1,476 posts, read 2,019,906 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sbd78 View Post
I have no problem with discreet breastfeeding in public, and the vast majority of mothers who breastfeed do so discreetly. Its the activist types who feel it is their personal mission in life to change the public's perception of breasts that bug me, and feel an in-your-face approach is the way to go about this. These are the types that make no attempt what-so-ever to be discreet and proudly let it all hang out. These are also the types who almost seem to be looking for a fight so they can whip out their law cards, sue, or stage a nurse in. These types of women, I feel, are actually doing more to hurt the cause of breastfeeding than they are helping it. I feel the majority of women don't want to be naked in public, or have attention drawn to themselves, and when you make a big scene you are only going to scare impressionable moms-to-be away from breastfeeding. I wonder if this woman was one of those types? Just my opinion, and again, I have no problem with discreet public breastfeeding.
I so agree with you!!! Maybe us "Unactivist" types need to have buttons made that say "Say YES to DISCREET Public BreastFeeding!!!" But then again, wearing a button and not being an activist...hmmmm. I guess that's an oxymoron Anyway, I definitely agree with what you stated so well!

Old 04-07-2010, 11:40 AM

2,605 posts, read 4,679,685 times
There are those "IN YOUR FACE" breastfeeders who look to rile people. Those are the same ones who stand on their soapbox and say we see more on the beach.

NEWS FLASH !!: When we are on the beach, we EXPECT it. Not at the mall or in the park, or in a restaurant, etc..

Why does a certain minority of women who breastfeed think they have greater rights than the rest of us? Because they can breastfeed by law doesn't mean they need to do it in a way that they think they are superior and put it in everybody else's faces.

Because you can, doesn't mean you should.

This woman researched it then went about looking for trouble. Most likely the boyfriend became beligerant so the police would be called and a report made so they could sue. It isn't difficult to figure that out. They would like a little cash and what better way to come into it. I'm sure, to that boyfriend and woman, it beats getting a job and earning it.

Old 04-07-2010, 12:20 PM

4,267 posts, read 6,167,403 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoExcuses View Post
There are those "IN YOUR FACE" breastfeeders who look to rile people. Those are the same ones who stand on their soapbox and say we see more on the beach.

NEWS FLASH !!: When we are on the beach, we EXPECT it. Not at the mall or in the park, or in a restaurant, etc..

Why does a certain minority of women who breastfeed think they have greater rights than the rest of us? Because they can breastfeed by law doesn't mean they need to do it in a way that they think they are superior and put it in everybody else's faces.

Because you can, doesn't mean you should.

This woman researched it then went about looking for trouble. Most likely the boyfriend became beligerant so the police would be called and a report made so they could sue. It isn't difficult to figure that out. They would like a little cash and what better way to come into it. I'm sure, to that boyfriend and woman, it beats getting a job and earning it.
What is an "in your face breastfeeder"? Have I ever seen a flash of nipple while a women breastfeeds? sure. Have I seen exposed skin? Yes. I've never ever seen anyone intentionally try to flaunt their breasts while breastfeeding in public.

In another article it states that the mother wants a public apology from the restaurant, nothing more.

Old 04-07-2010, 12:36 PM

2,605 posts, read 4,679,685 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dorthy View Post
What is an "in your face breastfeeder"? Have I ever seen a flash of nipple while a women breastfeeds? sure. Have I seen exposed skin? Yes. I've never ever seen anyone intentionally try to flaunt their breasts while breastfeeding in public.

In another article it states that the mother wants a public apology from the restaurant, nothing more.
I disagree. She has an agenda.

And you are smart enough to know what an "IN YOUR FACE" breastfeeder is. At least, I hope you are.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting