Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-08-2010, 11:52 AM

28,163 posts, read 25,405,037 times

Advertisements

Originally Posted by Magritte25
No, we don't work around our kids. We expect our children to be able to eat at a .... :::GASP::: RESTAURANT!

My kids have made fun of others. And you know what? They have been severely punished for it. I don't go for that and it's a HUGE no-no in our book. But I guess "some" parents allow their kids to act like bratty little snots.

You 'severely' punish your children for being children?

Yes, I do. You don't? Don't you punish for fighting, being mouthy, not listening? All normal parts of childhood, yes?

Quote:
You are SO totally wrong!

Exposing the breast should not be seen as indecent and in many cultures, it is not seen as such.

Leave it to the prudish, f'ed up West to make BFing into some taboo thing that must be hidden.

Then move so you can go bare. We won't mind at all.

I don't BF. I bottle feed. Guess what? I still support women's rights. And there is no need to move. I'd rather change silly, prude, Victorian attitudes thankyouverymuch.

Quote:
I've never, EVER seen an "in your face" BFer. EVER.

LOL, All of you are "IN YOUR FACE" breastfeeders who argue against discretion.

LOL. I've never BF once. TRY AGAIN.

Quote:
Because people are so sick and twisted that a mother feeding her baby is now seen as indecent?

For the hundredth time, nobody thinks breastfeeding is indecent. You have to find another tact because that one is getting old.

You think that the BREAST which is used to FEED the child should be hidden. I don't need to find another tact. YOU are providing it.

Quote:

What's funny is that the people that are crying that BFers are all about themselves are, in fact, all about THEIR feelings. IE - they are uncomfortable seeing a woman BFing, so they cry about how their rights are being tramped on.

It's actually quite funny.

What's funny is that public breastfeeders think that. Actually, people going about their business do not cause a public spectacle and bring all that negative attention to themselves. We do not expose other's and other people's children to the private areas of our bodies. We do not insist that we can do whatever we want in front of anybody we want.

And BFing mothers wouldn't cause a spectacle either if the general AMERICAN public weren't such asinine, backwards prudes.

Quote:
As for BFing sit ins:

I really don't see how ANYONE could be upset by them. Well, anyone that has an inkling of knowledge about bfing at least.

What is the purpose? Any adult is aware people feed their children by one way or another. Exactly what is the point in using your children to prove YOU can breastfeed anywhere you want? That isn't about the babies. It's about lazy women who choose to not make a point of being considerate of her baby and the people around her.

The point is that BFing should be commonly accepted in public and that it shouldn't be an issue.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-08-2010, 11:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gentlearts View Post
People were trying to eat, for Pete's sake. Yuk.

Here's the thing. This woman HAD READ UP ON the regulations and I think she was looking for a confrontation. Women have been nursing their babies since the dawn of man and there are ways to be discrete and considerate to others about it. If this woman was being discrete, then no one would have been aware she was doing it. Nobody wants to hear giant sucking sounds as they are eating in a public restaurant.
Wrong. In many countries, nursing women are naked from the waist up.

Old 04-08-2010, 12:03 PM

2,605 posts, read 4,707,336 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magritte25 View Post
Wrong. In many countries, nursing women are naked from the waist up.
Prove it.

Old 04-08-2010, 01:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoExcuses View Post
Prove it.
Canada
Scandinavia
France
Namibia
Germany

I could go on if you'd like.

Old 04-08-2010, 01:42 PM

2,839 posts, read 10,002,606 times
Quote:
Canada
Scandinavia
France
Namibia
Germany

I think she's looking for firsthand photos... because we need to actually travel to those countries and capture this phenomenon of women nursing their babies openly in order to believe that such a travesty occurs.

Old 04-08-2010, 01:56 PM

10,624 posts, read 26,819,495 times
Some of the local news reports have said that the woman in the original question was being discreet, and that no one else in the restaurant -- other than the staff -- was aware that she was breastfeeding at all.

I do think she has taken this too far, but at the same time the posts like the person who mentioned how a nursing woman would be kicked out of the family's restaurant can make me appreciate a bit more why some women do get overly confrontational and do try to prove a point. I think going too far hurts the cause to position breastfeeding as something normal and appropriate in modern society (with all involved being respectful of one another), but at the same time if I knew a restaurant or its owners was acting in blatant disregard of the law I would want to see that restaurant pay for its actions.

And the public urination/breastfeeding connection doesn't make any sense. Breastfeeding is clean, doesn't involve any need for waste disposal, and doesn't impact anyone else other than the two people involved. And, for that matter, restaurants and many other businesses provide bathrooms for customers. I don't think it's realistic or desirable for women who need to breastfeed to have to use a bathroom; it's not a pleasant situation for the mother and baby, of course, but it also ties up a bathroom or a stall that could be needed by staff or other customers. As a customer at a restaurant I'd much rather have a mother quietly and discreetly nursing her baby at her table rather than deal with either a crying baby as the parents rush to get out of the restaurant or a mother who is monopolizing the bathroom for an extended period of time.

Old 04-08-2010, 02:15 PM

4,264 posts, read 6,200,897 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dorthy
Just how is calling for support for breastfeeding mothers, "all about me" when the benefits of breastfeeding benefit our society as a whole?
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoExcuses View Post
How do you figure that?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dorthy View Post
There was a new study published in the Journal of Pediatrics this week (Study finds breastfeeding longer can save lives | News for Dallas, Texas | Dallas Morning News | Life/Travel: Health) which shows that approximately 900 babies lives and $13 billion could be saved each year if 90% of mothers breastfed for at least 6 months. Currently only 13% make it that long and it's no wonder considering the lack of support and understanding our society shows breastfeeding mothers.
The Role of Social Support in Breastfeeding Promotion: A Literature Review -- Raj and Plichta 14 (1): 41 -- Journal of Human Lactation
Quote:
Social support that increases breastfeeding includes emotional, tangible, and educational components from both informal social network members (male partner, mother, family/friends) and professional network members (health care professionals, lactation consultants). Conversely, negative social support may decrease breastfeeding.

Old 04-08-2010, 02:20 PM

2,825 posts, read 6,942,700 times
The law says that "a woman may breastfeed in any public or private location where she is otherwise authorized to be" - that means that if she is otherwise allowed to be in that restaurant, regardless of that it is a private business, then she is allowed to breastfeed there by law. If they don't want her to do so, they would need to say she was trespassing. The law goes on to say "irrespective of whether the nipple of the mother's breast is uncovered during or incidental to the breastfeeding" - that means that discretion is not required. While many of you may feel that discretion should be required or that it is the right thing to do, etc, etc, the fact remains that under the law, it is not required. Therefore, she was within her rights, and it was the restaurant who was in the wrong. This is a pretty straight-forward case as far as I can see.

Old 04-08-2010, 02:39 PM

17,573 posts, read 46,263,822 times
Quote:
Canada
Scandinavia
France
Namibia
Germany

I have spend a decent amount of time in France and Germany. I never once saw a woman breastfeeding completely topless.

Old 04-08-2010, 02:58 PM

2,605 posts, read 4,707,336 times
Quote:
Canada
Scandinavia
France
Namibia
Germany

That's no proof. I want to see photos or some kind of proof.

I've been in Canada many, many times and been in Toronto and Montreal among different places and NEVER saw a woman breastfeeding topless in restaurants or anywhere else.

My brother was in Germany for two years and never mentioned anything like that. Neither did his wife and she had their baby there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting