Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-07-2010, 08:19 PM

29,391 posts, read 55,395,429 times

Advertisements

ARKADELPHIA, Ark., April 7 (UPI) -- An Arkadelphia, Ark., teenager is suing his mother for allegedly hacking his Facebook account and posting slanderous entries about him, officials said.

Denise New's 16-year-old son filed charges and requested a no-contact order after she allegedly accessed his Facebook account, changed his password and began posting entries, KATV, Little Rock, Ark., reported Wednesday.

Son sues mother for Facebook harassment - UPI.com
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-07-2010, 09:00 PM

4,796 posts, read 22,837,605 times
This will be an interesting one to follow.

The mother is a non-custodial parent so her rights are limited to interfere and make decisions on her child's behalf. And the kid is a minor so I'm not sure what rights or protections he has against slander.

I'm not sure the case will really establish precedent though, given its peculiarities.

Last edited by kodaka; 04-07-2010 at 09:33 PM..

Old 04-08-2010, 08:06 AM

43,011 posts, read 107,614,039 times
What type of parents slander their children? It blows my mind that any parent would do such a thing. Slander is not merely monitoring a teen. I hope the law applies.

Someone posted in the comments section of one article that they read the posts she had made about her son and it became evident within 10 seconds why she didn't have custody.

Must have been some very slanderous and melicious posts she made about him. People who read the mother's posts say that the posts were very embarrassing.

A parent shouldn't publicly humiliate a child.

Old 04-08-2010, 08:26 AM

4,796 posts, read 22,837,605 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopes View Post
What type of parents slander their children? It blows my mind that any parent would do such a thing. Slander is not merely monitoring a teen. I hope the law applies.

Someone posted in the comments section of one article that they read the posts she had made about her son and it became evident within 10 seconds why she didn't have custody.

Must have been some very slanderous and melicious posts she made about him. People who read the mother's posts say that the posts were very embarrassing.

I think we have to wait and see on that one. No media outlet has actually published what she wrote. And just because what she wrote was bad doesn't mean it was slander. Keep in mind, the people writing in the comments sections of online articles are most likely his teenaged friends. Hardly logic-minded objective perspectives.

Embarrassing or malicious is not slander nor any other kind of crime.

Old 04-08-2010, 08:29 AM

50,060 posts, read 46,579,059 times
Kid should have his license yanked for a bit. Maybe a lil roadside trash pick up (side by side) for the two.

Old 04-08-2010, 08:31 AM

8,652 posts, read 17,182,476 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kodaka View Post
I think we have to wait and see on that one. No media outlet has actually published what she wrote. And just because what she wrote was bad doesn't mean it was slander. Keep in mind, the people writing in the comments sections of online articles are most likely his teenaged friends. Hardly logic-minded objective perspectives.

Embarrassing or malicious is not slander nor any other kind of crime.
And neither is telling the truth.... Maybe she was telling the truth too..

Old 04-08-2010, 08:56 AM

1,429 posts, read 4,264,868 times
There isn't enough info to form an opinion.

Old 04-08-2010, 09:04 AM

11,642 posts, read 23,806,553 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopes View Post

I posted this on my Facebook page. I told them I was posting it when I took it. I thought it was cute. Apparently you are NEVER to old to wear the popcorn container as a hat. That's as humiliating as I am willing to go.....I agree with you about not humiliating kids. BTW-my kids friends thought it was funny.
Attached Thumbnails
News, Son sues mother for Facebook harassment-23686_1290089645606_1031176851_30667721_6821547_n.jpg  

Old 04-08-2010, 09:15 AM

8,652 posts, read 17,182,476 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Momma_bear View Post
I posted this on my Facebook page. I told them I was posting it when I took it. I thought it was cute. Apparently you are NEVER to old to wear the popcorn container as a hat. That's as humiliating as I am willing to go.....I agree with you about not humiliating kids. BTW-my kids friends thought it was funny.
It is funny....LOL

Old 04-10-2010, 12:56 PM

4,526 posts, read 6,058,833 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rockinmomma View Post
There isn't enough info to form an opinion.
i agree--suing your parent--emancipate the smart aleck!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting