Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-15-2010, 09:00 AM

1,128 posts, read 1,641,273 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by aidxen View Post
The 10y.o. wants a phone. If I see the need, I will get him one, otherwise if he can affort $30 a month then he can have a phone.
Yeah....if only ten year olds could still work....lol
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-15-2010, 10:36 PM

6,066 posts, read 15,009,981 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by formercalifornian View Post
Oh, that's nothing. If you really want to be creeped out, try spokeo.
Oh wow - thanks! I didn't know about that one. I think they have all their info wrong, though, they have my husband listed as being in his 80's!! Wow! He looks great for his age!

Old 07-14-2010, 10:26 PM

1 posts, read 782 times
Default Children having cell phones

I really don't see the problem with kids having a cell phone my daughter is 4 going on 5 years old and she has a cell phone It has a kid finder inside of it so just in case she would wonder away from me or her dad or if GOD FOR BID she got kidnapped we would be able to quickly find her. It also only has 5 buttons that I have programmed so she can only call people that I want her to it is by far the best thing I have ever bought for her and I feel a little more safer knowing that she has it.

Old 07-14-2010, 10:41 PM

4,486 posts, read 5,210,528 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phoenixscorpiogirl View Post
Yeah....if only ten year olds could still work....lol
They can, at home. Our 14yr old daughter does extra chores to earn time for her pre-paid phone. Knowing that she will only get one time card each month helps her to manage her use of it as well.

Old 07-15-2010, 12:23 AM

2,905 posts, read 7,334,813 times
We've got a phone that my 9 year old son uses periodically.

Like for example if i drop him off at swim practice. He's got it with him.

We've also used it while he was outside playing. Instead of me screaming my head off for him to come back, I just call him. A lot quieter and less aggravating.

Are these reasons to go out and purchase him an expensive phone? Not really, but if you've got one laying around, which is what we had, I don't see a big deal. In our case we were paying for it anyway (and it's $12 per month) so might as well use it for our convenience or our child's safety.

The biggest problem with him "having" a phone is that now half the kids he knows are bugging THEIR parents for a phone. They are not too happy with that.

Old 07-15-2010, 06:41 AM

9,317 posts, read 20,936,261 times
I got my then 9yo Son a phone when he moved in. We are a Cell only family so if i was out for few minutes he would have a phone. I didn't take it to school till he was in middle school. Mostly it stayed at home, when he would be out playing i would have him take it so i could call him home for dinner.

Old 07-15-2010, 06:49 AM

2,735 posts, read 6,718,633 times
this irritates me too! my kids ages are: 8, 8, 13, 15...when my daughter started middle school, we got an extra phone and called it the "family phone" which was just mainly for her to use when she was staying after school, etc....otherwise it stayed home...when she got in high school, she got to actually keep it as her own phone. My 8 year olds certainly don't need their own phones. they aren't ever at any location that I cannot get ahold of them by a: calling the parents of the house they are at or b: I am there with them anyway....
my 13 year old, going into 8th is ready to have his own actually because he has more freedoms and stays after school with football, school dances, etc....

but yeah, 9 and younger is just ridiculous...not to mention my younger kids would lose it or break it...I think parents just give in to the pressure of the kids saying they have to have it because there certainly isn't a need for it.

but then on the other hand, why is it so wrong just because we didn't have the technology when we were kids?

Old 07-15-2010, 06:52 AM

2,735 posts, read 6,718,633 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JKattaron2 View Post
I really don't see the problem with kids having a cell phone my daughter is 4 going on 5 years old and she has a cell phone It has a kid finder inside of it so just in case she would wonder away from me or her dad or if GOD FOR BID she got kidnapped we would be able to quickly find her. It also only has 5 buttons that I have programmed so she can only call people that I want her to it is by far the best thing I have ever bought for her and I feel a little more safer knowing that she has it.
and does the phone have a phone finder as well for when she loses it? seriously, if someone kidnapped her, do you really think they would let her keep her phone?

Old 07-15-2010, 07:26 AM

7,931 posts, read 15,772,860 times
People are getting ridiculous with giving cell phones to kids. 14 would be the absolute youngest age that I would even consider giving my kids a cell phone, and even then, it will be a basic, bare bones phone that does nothing but make calls...it will not be for yakking around the clock, and there will be no text messaging or internet.

Actually, I kind of miss the days before cell phones. I miss being able to have nobody get a hold of me at all times. Somehow we survived, not all that long ago, without cell phones.

Old 07-15-2010, 07:27 AM

7,931 posts, read 15,772,860 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JKattaron2 View Post
4 going on 5 and has a cell phone? WHY? A kid at that age should never be without adult supervision, so what is the point of a phone?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting