Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-08-2010, 01:05 PM

24,012 posts, read 28,374,009 times

Advertisements

ITA....My kids both have had phones for quite awhile. They are middle of the road phones. Not the bottom not the top. They can call, they can text they can take pictures. Everything else is blocked because I don't want any surprises when the bill comes. They have no need to use their phones for the internet (heck I don't even have that - it would be nice but I frankly, have no need and can't justify the expense). That is my choice though - each family makes those decisions for themselves. As far as people saying kids should not have phones because, they didn't have phones back in the day but "survived"...so what? When I grew up we didn't have cable TV, remote controls, computers, and a host of other things. What does that have to do with anything?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-08-2010, 01:22 PM

1,128 posts, read 1,640,861 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Occam's Bikini Wax View Post
I can think of a lot of reasons to
Bottom line is who cares why? You don't have to pay for it, and the parents think it's necessary, so... why should you care?

OMG how many times is this question gonna be asked?
If it bothers you so much that I brought this up go to another freakin thread for crying out loud!

Old 04-08-2010, 01:35 PM

3,422 posts, read 10,879,393 times
Forget everything else, I had a razr and if I looked at it cross-eyed the dang thing would fall to pieces. I'd be concerned about giving one to a kid just because I cannot imagine it surviving long rides in the backpack.

I am back to my ancient "mini-brick" Nokia that I have had for 8 years now. After I washed my razr (yeah I am one of those people who need durable things b/c I drop, sit on, step on, and launder stuff that should not be laundered) I moved the sim card back to my "old faithful" and I am so much happier. My cell reminds me of the old ma bell phones you could drop off the roof, pick up, dust off, and continue using as if nothing happened.

I think its an individual family choice, based on needs, what age a child needs a cell. I do know my kids will probably get phones that you can drop-kick across the room and still use b/c if they take after me, well... you get the picture.

Old 04-08-2010, 01:49 PM

3,855 posts, read 13,238,159 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phoenixscorpiogirl View Post
So the other day I was getting a cell phone for my 13 year old son. A couple came in and the giuy was looking for a replacemment phone for his 9 year old. I heard him telling the store associate that his son had broken his phone so he wanted to get him another one that wasn't as expensive. So I saw them looking at phones such as the motorola razors...and that's what I have! I was thinking what kinda phone did this kid have before?

IMO I really don't see a need for a 9 year old to have a phone. What would be the point? A 9 yr old shouldn't be off by hisself somewhere where there would not be a phone anyways. Does this kid have like a huge social life where he needs a phone?
I do believe when kids are older that its a good idea to have a phone b/c they are out a lot more doing things and with friends. That's when my kids got theirs...like sometimes I need to call my son when he gets off his school bus to remind him to get my daughter from her school when I am at work, for instance.
I mean, if parents want to get their elemenatryschool kids phones that's their perogotive, but it seems kind of silly to me. Especially a very expensive phone that they are not going to take care of in the first place!
Well...its funny you should meantion '9 yr old w/cell phone' because that is the age that we decided to get one for our daughter. It wasn't about her having a social networking tool. It was a security issue. She walked home from school. Although the walk was short there had been issues in the past with some shady individuals lurking in the area. When she left school toward home she would call and check in to let my wife know she was coming. We knew that it took ~10 min to make the walk. So it was kind of a security check for us. Also it was helpful if she walked to a friend's house in the neighborhood. Before this we had walkie-talkies that we would turn on when school let out. The school was within range. The phone turned out to be more convenient than the walkie talkies.

When I was a kid we took our chances walking around the neighborhood. It would have been great to have something like a phone in my pocket in the event that I had a bike wreck and got hurt, etc.

Old 04-08-2010, 02:02 PM

5,747 posts, read 12,023,629 times
My children do not have phones, much to the surprise of their friends. I find it interesting when parents question me about not giving my children, especially my 11-year-old daughter, cell phones. I think it reflects a doubt on their part about whether or not they're doing the right thing. Otherwise, why would it matter whether or not my kid has one?

I have allowed my daughter to borrow the family cell phone when the occasion warranted it, but, at this point, I see absolutely no need for her to have her own.

Old 04-08-2010, 02:10 PM

Hmm....I honestly don't remember when my kids got cell phones (middle school maybe?). Regardless, the decision was made for specific reasons and once the decision was made, we haven't doubted at all whether we "did the right thing" - but on the other hand, I haven't questioned any of my friends about their decisions either. I guess I figured they were responsible enough parents to make appropriate decisions for their own family. I would imagine they think the same about us.

Old 04-08-2010, 02:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by phoenixscorpiogirl View Post
OMG how many times is this question gonna be asked?
If it bothers you so much that I brought this up go to another freakin thread for crying out loud!
Well....you might take another look at the title of the thread....it isn't about certain expensive phones and it does seem to infer that it is ridiculous for a 9 yo to have a cell phone. People are going to respond base on that.

Old 04-08-2010, 02:21 PM

5,747 posts, read 12,023,629 times
I don't really understand why this is a big deal to the OP, but as far as parents are concerned, I suspect that the rapid changes technology over the past decade or so have thrown a lot of us for a loop. It can be intimidating to navigate parenthood today, especially in light of the availability of high-tech communication devices. Some people see them as extra security for their children, while others question the necessity, and still others see them as a potential source of danger (me included). Rightly or wrongly, many of us look to each other for guidance because it can be very confusing.

Old 04-08-2010, 02:23 PM

551 posts, read 1,569,585 times
My opinion is that I don't see a reason for any child that is not working and away from home a lot to have a phone period. When they are 16 and have a job or are driving then they can have a phone. Until then, they don't need one. Again this is my opinion and I know many won't agree with it!

Old 04-08-2010, 04:34 PM

1,364 posts, read 4,137,668 times
We had a situation come up where I could not get back home (major traffic accident), nor could I reach anyone who lived close to home. My 9 year old came home and was worried that I had died because I'm always home when he gets home from school. Since then, my husband gave him one of our old cell phones. It cannot be taken to school, and it's programmed with my number, my husband's number, and his grandparents' number, and we are the only people he can call. He's on our family plan and there was a minimal charge. To never have to see the look of hurt and fear on his face, and for my own peace of mind, yes, my 9 year old has a cell phone.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting