Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-09-2010, 06:06 AM

11,642 posts, read 23,806,553 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by witty, wise and wicked View Post
I agree with you about the different people making different amounts of money, but I can' understand why my son's friends (12-14 yrs of age), have smartphones.
I don't know of any kid who has a business, or needs to keep a calendar with events/etc. Kids don't usually keep thier own schedules, they depend on mom (or dad) to do that.
But yeah....he knows of a few of the guys that have a Blackberry, iPhone, or whatever.....I can't justify that for ANY reason, and we make pretty good money, we could afford to purchase a phone like that for him, but I REFUSE.
And, BTW - my 9yr old doesn't have a cell phone, he can't take care of his room, at all, so he doesn't get a phone! Simple as that.
Not all smartphones are expensive. Spring offered the Palm Pixi at $49 with a contract. There was also a Blackberry model that was offered at a similar price. My son got the Palm Pixi and no he does not keep his own schedule. THAT would be a disaster! He uses it to talk and text and he has the internet (we have an unlimited data plan for the whole family).

BTW-my kids did not get phones when they were 9 either. They got phones for their birthday just prior to entering middle school (11). I just don't see why anyone would care if someone else got one. I find it really hard to get all revved up about what someone else buys for their child.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-09-2010, 08:04 AM

758 posts, read 1,865,498 times
My guess, as to why people get worked up over what other people buy their kids, is it leads to "Well all the other kids have them" argument from the kids who want them but parents can't or won't for whatever reason buy them.

Old 04-09-2010, 09:10 AM

24,012 posts, read 28,337,546 times
I just remembered another thing....for those who say that they would not have their kids phones allow texting.....

Several nice things about having the ability to text....My kids used to text me occasionally when they had friends over that just wouldn't leave or if they were at a friends house and were ready to come home. They were at an age where they were still trying to figure out how to excuse themselves without causing hurt feelings etc. Upon receiving a text I could "mention" that it was getting close to dinner time and BTW, wasn't there still homework or some chore that needed to be done? As they got older, they could text me from quiet places (library) where talking would have been disruptive or loud places (football/basketball games) where we wouldn't have been able to hear each other. It has come in quite handy.

Old 04-09-2010, 09:23 AM

43,011 posts, read 107,614,039 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by maciesmom View Post
Several nice things about having the ability to text....My kids used to text me occasionally when they had friends over that just wouldn't leave or if they were at a friends house and were ready to come home. They were at an age where they were still trying to figure out how to excuse themselves without causing hurt feelings etc. Upon receiving a text I could "mention" that it was getting close to dinner time and BTW, wasn't there still homework or some chore that needed to be done? As they got older, they could text me from quiet places (library) where talking would have been disruptive or loud places (football/basketball games) where we wouldn't have been able to hear each other. It has come in quite handy.
I agree that texting is a valuable tool. My children have used text the exact same way yours have. They preferred to have me call and say they needed to come home when they found they wanted to leave somewhere they didn't want to be.

When my children's friends are staying with us for the weekend, they are always texting their parents to let them know where we are going---just to keep them informed that they are leaving our house and heading to the roller skating rink, out to a restaurant for dinner, etc.

My children have always kept me aware of their whereabouts via text. It's less intrusive than calling. They can do it in front of their friends without their friends hearing the conversation between the parents.

Text is also a great way to peak into your children's lives to see what's happening. Just reading old texts can give you a clue about what type of friends they have. You know really fast if your children are starting to entertain the idea of trying drugs or talking about parties and alcohol. Just never let them know you read their texts or they'll learn to be smarter about deleting them.

As for what age is a cell phone appropriate, I believe that depends on when a child is old enough to not lose things. My children didn't get cell phones until they weren't losing their portable CD players. And they didn't get Ipods until they proved they weren't going to lose their cell phones (because Ipods are more expensive than cell phones).

Adding a cell phone to a family plan is not expensive. And the text package is only $5 or $10 depending on which package you buy. I think additional cell phones are affordable and I liked having contact with my children whenever I wanted to reach them.

Old 04-09-2010, 10:27 AM

494 posts, read 887,907 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phoenixscorpiogirl View Post
OMG how many times is this question gonna be asked?
If it bothers you so much that I brought this up go to another freakin thread for crying out loud!
It doesn't "bother" me at all, it only seems to bother you that we didn't all come in here and vociferously agree with you while patting you on the back for such critical thinking. Personally if I had kids that were school age they would definitely have phones. Just because kids used to get by without them doesn't mean we shouldn't use them now. We used to get along without a lot of things that are now an everyday part of our lives. Instant communication with one's kids is a good thing, even if they are only nine.

So just a recap: when you post on a message board, it's a
good bet that someone will have a differing opinion from yours.

Old 04-09-2010, 10:39 AM

17,574 posts, read 45,978,079 times
Quote:
So the other day I was getting a cell phone for my 13 year old son. A couple came in and the giuy was looking for a replacemment phone for his 9 year old. I heard him telling the store associate that his son had broken his phone so he wanted to get him another one that wasn't as expensive. So I saw them looking at phones such as the motorola razors...and that's what I have! I was thinking what kinda phone did this kid have before?

So where exactly do you draw the line between ages 9 and 13 where you think a child should have a phone?

Old 04-09-2010, 10:49 AM

5,747 posts, read 12,011,274 times
I think the OP's problem with kids and cell phones mostly has to do with envy, but I'm also of the opinion that cell phones are generally unnecessary for kids younger than high school age, and even then I think it's questionable. That said, I don't feel comfortable telling people what they should or should not give their children.

My perspective is that cell phones provide a false sense of security for both children and parents. They also can be used for bullying and are a serious distraction from school and other responsibilities. While it doesn't necessarily make me a popular parent, I'm sticking to my guns and will not be giving my children cell phones. They can buy their own when they're older. Your mileage may vary.

Last edited by formercalifornian; 04-09-2010 at 11:04 AM..

Old 04-09-2010, 11:19 AM

494 posts, read 887,907 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by formercalifornian View Post
I think the OP's problem with kids and cell phones mostly has to do with envy, but I'm also of the opinion that cell phones are generally unnecessary for kids younger than high school age, and even then I think it's questionable. That said, I don't feel comfortable telling people what they should or should not give their children.

My perspective is that cell phones provide a false sense of security for both children and parents. They also can be used for bullying and are a serious distraction from school and other responsibilities. While it doesn't necessarily make me a popular parent, I'm sticking to my guns and will not be giving my children cell phones. They can buy their own when they're older. Your mileage may vary.
The issues you're concerned with would only occur if a child is allowed unfettered access to all the functions of a modern phone. A conscientious parent will see the benefits of their child having the phone, while tempering that access with common sense and parental restrictions.

Old 04-09-2010, 11:40 AM

1,128 posts, read 1,639,161 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by formercalifornian View Post

It has nothing to do with envy...as I stated already...I already have 3 phones plus a land line for all of us to use!

And I guess some of you people on here just don't get it. I know everyone on here has different opinions and I couldn't care less if people agree with me or not.
As I stated numerous times....I understand that at times a cell phone is important to have if kids need them. And the difference between a nine year old and 13 year old is a thirteen year old gets more freedom and has more responsibilites and is out in the world more. My thirteen year old gets out of school first, sometimes goes to the mall, etc with friends, my ten yr old doesn't go anywnhere w/o an adult because shes younger and still in elementary school. She would love to have a cell phone but she does not need one. If she wants to call friends we have the house phone! Does that make any sense to you?
I don't know what crawled up your a**es or why you want to pick arguments with me...and this isn't to everyone on here just a select few-but I said many times I don't give a da** if parents want to buy their kids a phone. For some ages and certain phones it seems kind of sily to me, but it's not like I am trying to get a frggin bill passed against it or something. Its an opinion thats all, nothing else. why can't you get it through your thick heads?

Old 04-09-2010, 11:52 AM

11,642 posts, read 23,806,553 times
Quote:
It has nothing to do with envy...as I stated already...I already have 3 phones plus a land line for all of us to use!

And I guess some of you people on here just don't get it. I know everyone on here has different opinions and I couldn't care less if people agree with me or not.
As I stated numerous times....I understand that at times a cell phone is important to have if kids need them. And the difference between a nine year old and 13 year old is a thirteen year old gets more freedom and has more responsibilites and is out in the world more. My thirteen year old gets out of school first, sometimes goes to the mall, etc with friends, my ten yr old doesn't go anywnhere w/o an adult because shes younger and still in elementary school. She would love to have a cell phone but she does not need one. If she wants to call friends we have the house phone! Does that make any sense to you?
I don't know what crawled up your a**es or why you want to pick arguments with me...and this isn't to everyone on here just a select few-but I said many times I don't give a da** if parents want to buy their kids a phone. For some ages and certain phones it seems kind of sily to me, but it's not like I am trying to get a frggin bill passed against it or something. Its an opinion thats all, nothing else. why can't you get it through your thick heads?
Nobody is picking an argument with you. You were respectfully asked several times why you care what someone else buys for their child and you never answered the question.

Asking about it is not picking a fight. It's not having a bug up my a$$. It's just a question, which you refuse to answer.

Why can't you tell us why you care?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting