Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-14-2010, 09:16 AM

486 posts, read 1,667,338 times

Advertisements

I'm not sure if this question really fits in the this category or not, but it seems to be the only one there.

As some of you have read, I'm just around the corner from delivering my second child. I've seen three different products out there for co-sleeping and can't decide which to get.

Does anyone have experience with:

Snuggle Nest Deluxe, First Years Close and Secure Sleeper, or Arm's Reach mini?

I'm not sure what the pros and cons of each are?

Essentially, I will be having a cesarean so I want the baby close to me so I don't have to sit up a lot and pick up the baby from far away and be able to nurse easily. Plus being close to the baby is always helpful for longer sleep stretches.

Has anyone used any of these? Experiences?

Much thanks fellow parents!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-14-2010, 09:31 AM

3,360 posts, read 12,283,961 times
Thanks for posting these so I can see what they are. I'm about to be a new grandmother and not familiar with what's out there today. I thought the Secure Sleeper looked good.

I used one of those lined wicker baskets that came off the base so I could place it on the floor next to the bed at the same height as the bed. The baby always seemed to end up between us anyway. These look like an even better alternative as they can be placed in your bed with less worry of rolling onto them.

Old 06-14-2010, 12:27 PM

2,825 posts, read 6,935,182 times
I had the First Years Close and Secure Sleeper with my first. The main problem I had with it is that it took up so much of the bed! I put it in between myself and my husband in our queen size bed and there was just not much room left for us and it made it very uncomfortable. We only tried it for maybe a week before we gave up on it. We ended up co-sleeping with her regularly in the bed. I pushed the bed to the wall and she slept between me and the wall. We slept well this way, and she could nurse on and off all night as she wished without either of us fully waking. When my 2nd was born, we went straight to this method and didn't waste any time with sleepless, uncomfortable nights.

Old 06-14-2010, 04:27 PM

1,492 posts, read 3,238,725 times
We din't co sleep.
Baby in next room. thank you very much.

Actually while we are on this, guys, encourage breast feeding. Not because it is good for the baby (which it is). Not because it lowers the incidence of breast cancer (which it does) but because when it comes to the midnight feed all you do is go get the baby and put it in the bed with mom. If you do the bottle thing, at 3am you are up sterilising bottles and opening tins and heating water. You can get a baby with your eyes closed in the dark and go back to sleep but you try filling a bottle in the dark with your eyes closed.

Purely selfish motivation I know.

Old 06-14-2010, 06:52 PM

4,267 posts, read 6,193,091 times
I had something like the arms reach mini. If the mattress for the co-sleeper is at the same exact level as your bed, it could be very useful. Mine was lower and it wasn't open on one side so I had to sit up and reach down to pick up dd at night to feed her. After a few days I just slept with her in the bed with no devices. It was the easiest way to respond quickly to her in the middle of the night and I could nurse her while lying on my side.

Old 06-15-2010, 07:45 AM

Dorthy- that's exactly what happened with my first and why I'm now looking for a co-sleeping device so that it's easier on everyone, especially me after surgery.

I just measured the height of our bed and am now leaning toward the Arm's Reach co-sleeper, but it's pricey and feel like I'm kind of duplicating our pack and play.

Old 06-15-2010, 08:11 AM

2,825 posts, read 6,935,182 times
If you already have a crib, you can just side-car the crib to your bed instead of buying a co-sleeper. You just take the front panel off the crib, adjust the mattress height so it matches your bed, and use bungee cords to attach the crib to your bed. I did this with my 2nd and it gave us a lot more room. This page has detailed instructions, maybe more than you need!

How we sidecarred our crib - Home

Old 06-15-2010, 08:50 AM

Ooooh good one ADVentive... I might have to have DH move the crib from the baby's room into our room. Thanks.

Old 06-15-2010, 04:53 PM

3,430 posts, read 4,345,104 times
Congratulatons!
DO NOT get the first years. Its closed at the end and the baby will outgro it quicly. Get the Arms reach. 2nd choice would be the snugglenest.

Old 06-17-2010, 07:29 AM

1,149 posts, read 4,210,428 times
We tried the snuggle nest deluxe. With a queen-sized bed, it took up way too much real estate. Also, since our mattress isn't completely new (about seven years old) it wouldn't lie flat, it was always at a tilt. We ended up bedsharing, very carefully, till three months, but couldn't use the snuggle nest. Fortunately he is now in his crib and sleeping through the night - but while he was with us, he only woke up once a night, which I attribute to the bedsharing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting