Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-15-2010, 03:52 PM

1,224 posts, read 3,380,684 times

Advertisements

We have some new neighabors that moved in behind us. They have children that look to be 8yrs to 3yrs old. They play unattened in their back yard, it is not inclosed and there is a pretty good drop off, so that if one of them fell they would hit our rock wall and become injured. They have also been caught by the neighboar next to us throwing rocks at both properties. We will be putting in a fence toward the sart of the fall and are very worried that some one is going to either get clobbared by a rock or fall, how do we approach them with our concerns? The only reason I know that they are unattened is that I have been in my own yard watching my children and have had to say to the neighboars children to be carefull so they do not fall, that and we keep our drapes open during the day to let in the light. Any input would be helpfull thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-15-2010, 04:01 PM

32,516 posts, read 37,283,701 times
Any chance you can speed up the building of that fence? As soon as I read the words "unattended" and "rock throwing" I felt sorry for you.

Old 07-15-2010, 05:41 PM

3,430 posts, read 4,349,417 times
Talk to the parents and nicely tell them that you are worried that their children are going to get very seriously hurt if they fall. If they continue to let them play unattended at least you did your part to warn them. Don't forget to mention the rock throwing. Some people should just not have children.

We don't have a fence and I would never let my children play outside alone for even one split second.

Old 07-15-2010, 05:55 PM

18,438 posts, read 19,095,130 times
just tell the kids next time you see them, to stay well away from the edge. half the time kids will just do as they are told, especially from a stranger. if that doesn't work then go tell the parent. but I would guess if they let them play unsupervised they really won't care or think their kids could get hurt. be an old grump to the kids and tell them to back off I bet they do

Old 07-15-2010, 06:01 PM

14,784 posts, read 24,163,634 times
I would talk to the parents and if they give you the careless attitude , then call cps (child protective services ) if these parents dont have enough sense to watch their own kids then someone has to be watching over them . I pray that they dont get hurt or seriously injured on your property or those very people will be suing you . im sorry but sometimes you have to teach parents how to parent .

Old 07-15-2010, 06:11 PM

4,507 posts, read 9,079,671 times
Ugh. I'd be concerned for the children too. Why not invite them over for a visit and discuss your concerns neighbor to neighbor. A warm peach cobbler with a scoop of vanilla ice cream might be nice...so they know you are being neighborly and not just harpy. It's also possible that they don't realize how steep the slope is or that there is a rock wall to crash into. Seeing it from your yard might make them aware of the danger and cause for concern.

Then, even if the parents say they will keep the kids off the hill, call your insurance company and see what you need to do to protect yourself in the event one of those kids should slip down the hill. Do you need to put the fence up today? Do you need caution signs on the hill or the wall? Do you need umbrella insurance?

Old 07-15-2010, 06:37 PM

1,224 posts, read 3,380,684 times
Thanks for all the input, I will be talking to the insurance company, and the parents do know that it is a steep hill for a child. I am more worried about someone getting hurt than anything else, I really feel for the oldest child to much responsablity at 8 to watch his younger brother and sisster in thta type of situation.

Old 07-15-2010, 10:38 PM

852 posts, read 1,367,938 times
I understand your concern, and definitely check out the legal matter. But I'm curious. How old do you all think children need to be to play outside unsupervised? Eight doesn't seem too young to me at all. Three is definitely too young, but eight?

Old 07-16-2010, 06:15 AM

2,721 posts, read 5,371,348 times
I would speak to them directly and follow up with a certified letter so if one of the children falls and gets injured you can prove that you reached out to them and put them on notice that the potential for danger is there. If one of their children falls and hurts themselves they may sue you for negligence and you saying "I told them it was dangerous" may not fly.

Can you get one of those temporary mesh/netting type fences? I don't know how expensive they are but it may act as a boundary of sorts that the kids will stay away from.

The rock throwing is a serious problem that you need to address with them before someone gets injured or windows get broken. I hope they are responsible parents and not "Don't you dare accuse my kid" types.

Old 07-16-2010, 06:37 AM

35,879 posts, read 77,639,414 times
Do you know the situation with who is staying home with the kids daily? Is there a SAH parent? I would figure that out first. It could be there are problems in the house . . . I have seen a lot of things over nearly 35 years of home ownership . . . including alcoholic or mentally ill parents, who are asleep inside and incapable of taking care of children.

Just mentioning this, b/c you may get yourself into an unpleasant situation approaching parents who are already hiding something behind closed doors.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting