Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-10-2018, 04:37 PM

7,991 posts, read 5,386,725 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by upsadaisy View Post
... show some respect". Yea ok lol let me do that in the middle of the busiest shift ever.
What a jerk for a boss. Respect is earned.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-11-2018, 05:52 AM

133 posts, read 183,092 times
I don't understand the fixation on kids and respect. My kids interact with people the same way adults do - learn their names, talk to them, etc. We're not raising them to be blindly obedient or blindly respect every adult. As far as remembering what to call each person, children's memories are so much better than ours as adults. My daughter remembers every name, number, and conversation - both H and I ask her to remind us of things.

Also, how often does one really say someone's name in conversation? I know I rarely do. When we're at home, we usually refer to their friends' parents by their first names or so-and-so's mom or dad. It's never occurred to me to tell them what to call people. I figure they will navigate that on their own if they are truly called upon to say the name.

Of course, I also called my parents by their first names, upon their request.

Old 05-11-2018, 06:59 AM

5,938 posts, read 4,699,219 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GiGi603 View Post
What a jerk for a boss. Respect is earned.
And it usually works both ways as well. If your boss wants to be called Mr/Ms/Mrs/Sir/Ma'am - that's fine with me. But usually most bosses, when you've earned THEIR respect will say "Call me Mary/Bob/etc."

Old 05-11-2018, 07:35 AM

49,927 posts, read 59,944,601 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ItalianIce View Post
I don't understand the fixation on kids and respect. ... We're not raising them to be blindly obedient or blindly respect every adult.
Why does it have to be a "fixation"? It's not. It's education and a preference, just like your parents taught you.

Why does saying "sir" or "ma'am" have to be blind obedience? It's not. That's just you being disrespectful to someone's belief that differs from yours by insulting it and making it seem insidious.

My kids speak to adults intelligently, but my youngest is NOT an adult, and he shouldn't speak to them "the same," as if he were.

Old 05-11-2018, 10:00 AM

14,294 posts, read 13,187,604 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BirdieBelle View Post
My kids speak to adults intelligently, but my youngest is NOT an adult, and he shouldn't speak to them "the same," as if he were.
What's the difference, I wonder? I can't imagine what a child should not say to an adult that they should say to someone else?

Old 05-11-2018, 10:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by somebodynew View Post
What's the difference, I wonder? I can't imagine what a child should not say to an adult that they should say to someone else?
It's not what they should say that's different.

You CAN'T imagine?

Some examples my 14-year-old might say to friends that I would not want him saying to the 62-year-old neighbor:

"What up, bro?"

"Shut up. That's insane!"

"Get TF outta here!"

Old 05-11-2018, 12:37 PM

Quote:
It's not what they should say that's different.

You CAN'T imagine?

Some examples my 14-year-old might say to friends that I would not want him saying to the 62-year-old neighbor:

"What up, bro?"

"Shut up. That's insane!"

"Get TF outta here!"
Sure, friends. But I would not anticipate my teens saying that to other teens that they don't know or know only casually.

Old 05-11-2018, 12:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by somebodynew View Post
Sure, friends. But I would not anticipate my teens saying that to other teens that they don't know or know only casually.
Oh, I didn't realize we were splitting hairs here.

There are differences between kids and adults, like it or not.

Old 05-11-2018, 05:57 PM

Quote:
Oh, I didn't realize we were splitting hairs here.
You said adults not friends.

Quote:
There are differences between kids and adults, like it or not.
Yes, ma'am. <salute> If you say so, ma'am.

My kids talk like intelligent human beings with a sense of with whom they are speaking regardless of their age. Nuts, I know.

Old 05-11-2018, 05:59 PM

8,620 posts, read 5,651,220 times
It's ma'am.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting