Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-22-2018, 02:09 PM

13,262 posts, read 7,961,430 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by maciesmom View Post
No problem.

The problem arises when people get in a huff and make comments about other people not being respectful for *not* using those honorifics or when they make some comment that they use those words because THEY were "raised right". Or my personal favorite, "It's better than saying 'hey you,' " as if that's the singular alternative to "excuse me ma'am".

I agree with you. It DOES seem to be a regional thing, and about how one was raised. If we're raised to say sir and ma'am, we will likely say it til we die.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-22-2018, 02:41 PM

153 posts, read 129,215 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BirdieBelle View Post
Congrats. Mine are too

I haven't prompted them to say "sir" or "ma'am" in YEARS, and they still do it by choice. They also are really good at meeting people "where they're at," though, and will assess a situation and speak to people as they wish to be addressed.

I like living in a region where this kind of respectful behavior is appreciated and not denigrated, and I cannot imagine being the kind of person who would be offended at being addressed with respect. Ridiculing others for doing something out of kindness only proves my point, so thanks for making it easy.
Could it possibly be less of a choice and more of a natural habit at this point?

Old 05-22-2018, 03:47 PM

13,480 posts, read 8,315,360 times
I think it's rude for a younger adult to say "Sir" or "Ma'am" to an older adult. Both are adults.

Old 05-22-2018, 04:16 PM

24,012 posts, read 28,379,095 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PriscillaVanilla View Post
I think it's rude for a younger adult to say "Sir" or "Ma'am" to an older adult. Both are adults.

Nonsense.

Any sincere show of respect to another person -of any age- is never rude.

Old 05-22-2018, 04:17 PM

13,976 posts, read 25,867,130 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PriscillaVanilla View Post
Rude of who? I think you need to check the definition of "rude".

Old 05-22-2018, 07:20 PM

16,825 posts, read 17,663,609 times
Quote:
Nonsense.

Any sincere show of respect to another person -of any age- is never rude.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattie View Post
Rude of who? I think you need to check the definition of "rude".
I actually kind of get what she means. If someone is say in their 30s and someone is in their 40s, "ma'am"ing them all the time would be a constant reminder that they are older. That is not respectful, especially not if you are in a professional or social setting, and might even be considered rude.

Old 05-22-2018, 07:25 PM

24,012 posts, read 28,379,095 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lkb0714 View Post
I actually kind of get what she means. If someone is say in their 30s and someone is in their 40s, "ma'am"ing them all the time would be a constant reminder that they are older. That is not respectful, especially not if you are in a professional or social setting, and might even be considered rude.
She said nothing about ma'am-ing them all the time. That would be awkward in any event. I stand by my statement that any sincere show of respect is not rude. Intent is paramount when discussing politeness and rudeness. Obsequiousness is rarely sincere.

Last edited by maciesmom; 05-22-2018 at 07:48 PM..

Old 05-22-2018, 08:09 PM

13,976 posts, read 25,867,130 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lkb0714 View Post
Ma'am is not an address restricted by age, any more than sir is, at least once the recipient has reached adulthood. And the terms are widely used, and accepted, in a professional setting in the south. Personally, I far prefer to be called ma'am over "sweetie", "honey" or "dear" (also widely heard here).

Quote:
She said nothing about ma'am-ing them all the time. That would be awkward in any event. I stand by my statement that any sincere show of respect is not rude. Intent is paramount when discussing politeness and rudeness. Obsequiousness is rarely sincere.
Yes.

Old 05-22-2018, 09:30 PM

12,883 posts, read 13,911,028 times
Only times I ever said "sir" or "ma'am" in my life was trying to get customers' attention when working in the service industry during school.

Old 05-22-2018, 10:01 PM

30,585 posts, read 24,998,404 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Panda panda View Post
I think if you call your elders Ma'am or Sir it shows some respect
I am going to admit that I think it sounds old fashioned. My kids turned out fine, thank you very much. They do say please and thank you. But I never expected them to call me ma’am.

But I raised my kids in the Midwest, not in the South.

And I never had trouble getting my kids to respect me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting