Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-12-2010, 11:06 AM

1,106 posts, read 3,519,399 times

Advertisements

Okay, I have to admit that I have been pretty inconsistent with potty training. My DD is almost 2.5 years old and I want this to happen. She will usually let me know about the poo poo but not when she needs to pee. I can put her on the toilet and about 1/3 of the time she will twinkle. I feel as though if my wife and I have a schedule that we take her to the bathroom at least once an hour or whatever that we could knock it out pretty easily.

Has anyone else tried schedules and what time frames did you use? Did it work. My DD is definitely ready we just need to step up as parents. I had too many excuses and important due dates I had to make but that is over and "excuses are tools of the incompetent."

Any help here is greatly appreciated as to what you did and it worked.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-12-2010, 11:15 AM

3,842 posts, read 10,475,144 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mike052082 View Post
Okay, I have to admit that I have been pretty inconsistent with potty training. My DD is almost 2.5 years old and I want this to happen. She will usually let me know about the poo poo but not when she needs to pee. I can put her on the toilet and about 1/3 of the time she will twinkle. I feel as though if my wife and I have a schedule that we take her to the bathroom at least once an hour or whatever that we could knock it out pretty easily.

Has anyone else tried schedules and what time frames did you use? Did it work. My DD is definitely ready we just need to step up as parents. I had too many excuses and important due dates I had to make but that is over and "excuses are tools of the incompetent."

Any help here is greatly appreciated as to what you did and it worked.
Completely simple but you need to have a 2-3 day block of time. In the morning, have her wear underpants. And they stay on from then on out (minus naps & bedtime). You don't ask, but put her on the potty every hour or so. And ask in between as necessary. She'll get the point what happens when she is in wet clothes. Change the clothes, put back on underpants, and keep it consistent.

It took us 3 days to potty train #1 & we did it over the weekend as there were no interruptions. With #2 right now, just getting him acclimated to the toilet & in a few weeks or so will do the 2-3 day thing.

Once you start noticing dry diapers after naps several days in a row, start that process. Same with nighttime training. Be sure to have a good waterproof mattress pad cover for accidents.

I don't do pullups or fancy little toilets. Keep it simple & keep it simplistic. It's not a choice & if they feel that you are confident & excited, they will be confident & excited. Once you start, you cannot stop...that is where the issues arise.

Old 04-12-2010, 12:42 PM

141 posts, read 434,257 times
Per my + friends and the family experience, your mileage may vary wildly. For us, our scheduling didn't work, our kid sprang into defensive and we had to back off, accepting his uhm schedule. We had to do it hard way, bit by bit and eventually #1 works nicely 2 weeks after, but #2 is still a prob. The siege is going on.

Old 04-12-2010, 12:49 PM

436 posts, read 1,517,688 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 121804 View Post
Completely simple but you need to have a 2-3 day block of time. In the morning, have her wear underpants. And they stay on from then on out (minus naps & bedtime). You don't ask, but put her on the potty every hour or so. And ask in between as necessary. She'll get the point what happens when she is in wet clothes. Change the clothes, put back on underpants, and keep it consistent.

It took us 3 days to potty train #1 & we did it over the weekend as there were no interruptions. With #2 right now, just getting him acclimated to the toilet & in a few weeks or so will do the 2-3 day thing.

Once you start noticing dry diapers after naps several days in a row, start that process. Same with nighttime training. Be sure to have a good waterproof mattress pad cover for accidents.

I don't do pullups or fancy little toilets. Keep it simple & keep it simplistic. It's not a choice & if they feel that you are confident & excited, they will be confident & excited. Once you start, you cannot stop...that is where the issues arise.
I agree with this. I am a family child care provider and have potty trained many children. Do not use the pull ups, only regular underpants, and take her to the potty every hour. Don't ask her if she needs to go or if she wants to, just say "It's time to sit on the potty now". If she doesn't have a choice, don't give her one.

Most importantly-be consistant. I had a day care parent who was working on potty training and came in on a Monday and told me that they were at a restaurant over the weekend, and the boy indicated he needed to go pee. The dad told him to just go in his pull up. He didn't use regular underpants at home so this took quite a while.

Old 04-12-2010, 01:01 PM

2,605 posts, read 4,672,609 times
Panties are the way to go. Putting a child on the pottie every hour is a nice idea, but in reality they go when they want to. Go by your schedule of every hour, and I'll bet my car that 30 seconds after she gets up off the potty, she will go in her pants.

Watch her face. She will give hints that she needs to go. She is way past the age mine trained and they had a look on their faces just prior to urinating. I'd grab them up and get to the potty chair as fast as I could. Oldest trained in 24 hours (15 months). Second in 3 days 17 months). Third in two weeks (my boy; 2 years).

As soon as she can recognize the feeling, she will tell you. That's when you know you've done a good job and she's done hers.

Old 04-12-2010, 01:11 PM

24,873 posts, read 36,015,649 times
I had mine sit on the potty any time we were changing activities.
First thing in the morning
before morning snack
before leaving to run errands or go to the park
before lunch
before nap
after nap/before snack
before dinner
etc.
Since a lot of it revolved around food, it was nice to get them in the habit of washing their hands before eating too.

Old 04-12-2010, 01:25 PM

531 posts, read 2,891,767 times
Yes, the every hour thing will drive you crazy. You'll do it for a couple of days, then forget it. Generally speaking, parents need to be "trained", not the kids. I say that admitting that was the case w/ my wife and I. We did something similar to what the OP describes...we'd inconsistently tell our daughter that today she was going to wear big kid underwear...but then the next day, back to diapers, just because we were lazy. We got nowhere with that. What worked? No more diapers. We just put her in underwear every morning, no questions asked. Wasn't always easy but ultimately it worked. She's had remarkably few accidents. She still wears a diaper for nighttime but that's something we'll worry about in the future.

You need to come to grips with the fact that your kid will have accidents and it will be a mess. But eventually they will get it. That was our big problem, we kept waiting for our daughter to be potty trained--she's not going to figure it out on her own, you kind of just need to force them into it. And definitely reward her when she does it--Yes, it is bribery but potty treats work wonders.

We were so discouraged with our daughter and thought she'd be in diapers in kindergarten. But out of frustration we just said no more diapeers and boom, she got it. She still fights us on it but it is painfully obvious when she needs to go.

Old 04-12-2010, 02:24 PM

24,873 posts, read 36,015,649 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by usedtobeanyer View Post
Yes, the every hour thing will drive you crazy. You'll do it for a couple of days, then forget it. Generally speaking, parents need to be "trained", not the kids. I say that admitting that was the case w/ my wife and I. We did something similar to what the OP describes...we'd inconsistently tell our daughter that today she was going to wear big kid underwear...but then the next day, back to diapers, just because we were lazy. We got nowhere with that. What worked? No more diapers. We just put her in underwear every morning, no questions asked. Wasn't always easy but ultimately it worked. She's had remarkably few accidents. She still wears a diaper for nighttime but that's something we'll worry about in the future.

You need to come to grips with the fact that your kid will have accidents and it will be a mess. But eventually they will get it. That was our big problem, we kept waiting for our daughter to be potty trained--she's not going to figure it out on her own, you kind of just need to force them into it. And definitely reward her when she does it--Yes, it is bribery but potty treats work wonders.

We were so discouraged with our daughter and thought she'd be in diapers in kindergarten. But out of frustration we just said no more diapeers and boom, she got it. She still fights us on it but it is painfully obvious when she needs to go.
I disagree about forcing them into it. If they aren't ready to do it, they aren't going to do it. It can't be forced. When they are ready, they will go on the potty. I thought I could force my son into it in time for him to start preschool, and quickly found out that was not going to happen. A few weeks later, he was using the potty. He just needed to be ready and willing. Trying to force it could lead to more resistance from the child.

Old 04-12-2010, 03:09 PM

531 posts, read 2,891,767 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rkb0305 View Post
I disagree about forcing them into it. If they aren't ready to do it, they aren't going to do it. It can't be forced. When they are ready, they will go on the potty. I thought I could force my son into it in time for him to start preschool, and quickly found out that was not going to happen. A few weeks later, he was using the potty. He just needed to be ready and willing. Trying to force it could lead to more resistance from the child.
Absolutely, wrong choice of words by me saying "force". In the case described by the OP, they've already started the process and they are in a very similar case to where my wife & I were. We had no consistent success until we didn't present diapers as an option anymore. But if we started right out the bat like that, then it would have failed miserably.

What's interesting is that you generally just know when they are ready. 2.5 years old is a good target from what I saw with my daughter, but obviously every kid is different.

Old 04-12-2010, 03:23 PM

3,644 posts, read 10,904,655 times
There are literally HUNDREDS of these threads here on the Parenting forum. The OP and her child are not unique. Here is the advice you will get, summed up:

Don't do anything. She'll figure it out before she's 22 (maybe)
Be consistent.
Use M & Ms
Stop putting her in diapers/pull ups
Let her pick out special underwear
I trained my kids at exactly 2.2 years old
Mine have medical problems and you're all a bunch of meanies!

Then there will be pages and pages where the posters will pull each other apart - this one is lazy, that one is anal, this one thinks that potty training should begin at age 17, that one thinks you should train them at 3 months...

Frankly, I think there should be a Potty Training "sticky" thread and all these lazy people who come in here, wanting everyone to repeat the same dang thing should be deleted. Yes, all parents who start a thread on this stuff are lazy or just maybe not that bright - how hard is it to do a search?

Everybody poops. No one's child is unique in this. Use the search feature BEFORE starting a new thread PLEASE!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting