Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-20-2010, 11:00 AM

43,011 posts, read 107,755,385 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by liloulou View Post
I did email the pediatrician, but they never responded... not even to say, "seems normal". Nothing. Will probably try again or just wait until her next visit in nine months.
I would never email a doctor about something important. I would CALL the pediatrician's office. Your emails could be going into his spam folder.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-20-2010, 12:31 PM

486 posts, read 1,662,504 times
This pediatrician's office prefers that we email non-urgent requests and they say they will respond with 48 hours. It's a group of doctors and nurses. Figured I'd follow their procedure and then call if they don't respond (which they haven't now). :-(

Old 04-20-2010, 10:42 PM

41 posts, read 98,352 times
As someone who has suffered w/ OCD my entire life, take her to the doctor & have them nip it in the bud early. In the meantime, try to see what she is anxious about. She is doing these routines because she truly believes that by not doing them, something will happen. Try to find out what that something is. It might be several things. Don't feed into her "obsessions" it makes it worse. Try to assure her that whatever she is worried about will not be prevented by doing these routines. In fact, if you go on wikipedia, it has a good info about OCD. By the way, you cannot "discipline" this behavior out of her.

Old 04-23-2010, 11:12 PM

1,397 posts, read 4,838,415 times
I used to suffer from OCD for years ( and still do, although I learned to "control" it, so it's not nearly as bad as it was before ). Just by reading your post, her behavior seems like a typical OCD behavior to me - however, I'm a little confused being that she's only three years old. I started showing OCD symptoms when I was 12. I used to do everything in 3s - brush my teeth 3 times, wash my hands 3 times etc. Whatever the case may be, talk to your pediatrician as soon as you can. And like cat24 said, do not feed into her obsessions. My husband also suffers from anxiety/mild OCD and I would feed into his obsessions and vice versa. However, all of our counselors told us that we're just making things worse by doing that. We were basically reinforcing each others' OCD behaviors. Good Luck...

Old 04-23-2010, 11:46 PM

43,011 posts, read 107,755,385 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lastra View Post
My husband also suffers from anxiety/mild OCD and I would feed into his obsessions and vice versa. However, all of our counselors told us that we're just making things worse by doing that. We were basically reinforcing each others' OCD behaviors.
That's so true! My son has anxiety disorders----general, social, trichotillomania (but he overcame that a few years ago). Obsessive thoughts were the worst with the trich. He'd be so upset and worried. I'd reassure him. Seemed like the right thing to do when a child is upset and worried. Then I learned that reassuring is reinforcing the obsessive thoughts. My other big problem was learning to not rescue him when he had panic attacks in social situations. He would call in a panic and I would go pick him up. WRONG WRONG WRONG thing to do. That reinforces the fear and makes it harder to return to a similar uncomfortable situation. Then the obsessive thoughts start when he's anticipating an uncomfortable situation. It's all maddening. I've never experienced it myself, only through helping him. I don't know he survives it. I admire him for being such a strong person. He has made such great strides.

Old 04-27-2010, 08:27 AM

141 posts, read 426,922 times
It's possible she could have OCD... I would keep an eye out for other ritualistic behaviors or hair pulling, scalp scraping, skin picking, etc. Otherwise it could just be the normal quirks of a 3 year old.

Old 04-28-2010, 08:24 PM

177 posts, read 470,144 times
she may have a mild to serious case of OCD or other psychological disorder such as mild aspergers. check out a doctor then psychologist.

Old 04-28-2010, 08:40 PM

15,853 posts, read 35,044,864 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by liloulou View Post
I haven't gone to the pediatrician yet because I wanted to see if this is a normal process of asserting independence or tryin gto control as kahskye mentioned.

I am in control, as is my husband on most things with her. We know we are the parents and must be, but there are these wierd instances where I'm not sure if it is a control issue or not based on her desperation and extreme reactions, as compared to the normal... she wants something, but she doesn't get it her way because she's not the boss.
If you take her to a pediatrician for this he/she will only end up writing a prescription that will result in your child being medicated and dulled. I don't think you would want that for her - not to mention the possibility of dangerous side effects that nearly ALL medications carry these days.

It does sound like she has strong OCD tendencies. For HER sake, it might be a good idea to work toward mediating these issues NOW before she goes to school and she has constant problems dealing with others, life and the educational system.

My thoughts are that you might want to consult with a good naturopathic or holistic practitioner who can suggest natural treatments which could help. There is a strong possibility that this behavior might be linked to a food allergy. Also, there are natural options available to treat this type of problem. My husband is OCD and on really bad days he takes St. John's Wort and it helps DRAMATICALLY. I would not recommend this for a child because I am not an herbalist or holistic practitioner - I am just giving you an example. There are also vitamin supplements which have been proven to help. It certainly is worth a try and beats pumping deadly chemicals into your child.

You might also want to consult with a behaviorist who might be able to assist you in guiding your daughter. OCD has been around for a long time and there has been methods developed which can help. Most mental health centers would be able to assist you in locating a behaviorist or behavioral counselor.

20yrsinBranson

Old 04-29-2010, 09:27 AM

486 posts, read 1,662,504 times
Thanks 20yrsinBranson...(and everyone else). I have tried to push her a little bit in her behaviors as far as the number of sips she takes and the order we do her bedtime routine (like we'll brush her teeth before getting her PJs on- which we usually do in reverse) and she's been ok with this. I'm still going to watch her, but have decided to not to bring her to her pediatrician yet since she seems ok with deviating from her rituals. I kind of want to "test" her longer and get my notes together.
I think she definitely has her wierd or strict rituals and attititude that her rituals are "right", but I do think there is some normal trying to push the 3 yr old boundaries of control here too.

And you're right 20yrs.... I don't want her medicated for something that could be handled though a behavioral counseler or such. I'm just as weary with holistic supplements as I am with traditional ones actually.

Old 04-30-2010, 01:05 PM

522 posts, read 1,851,364 times
My daughter is kind of the same way. She wants to do certain things before we go to bed like read 3 books and make a Krabby patty like Sponge Bob which pretty much consists of me putting her between two pillows and carry her to bed.

I had to make a Krabby Patty for like a month straight and she got pretty upset if I didnt do it for her and she always reminded me before bed. But that lasted a month and we dont do it much any more.

But reading 3 books before bed is something she still wants to do.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting