Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-15-2010, 11:34 PM

822 posts, read 2,995,018 times

Advertisements

My 8 year old daughter LOVES that show - she fantasizes about being part of that family.

I have to say, there is such a big contrast between the mother and Kate Gosselin. When the shows were back to back, you would see Kate scowling and then Michelle with this permanent happy, content look on her face.

I don't watch it enough to have an opinion, but why so many kids? I don't get it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-16-2010, 01:52 AM

4,280 posts, read 6,066,710 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blossom4792 View Post
My 8 year old daughter LOVES that show - she fantasizes about being part of that family.

I have to say, there is such a big contrast between the mother and Kate Gosselin. When the shows were back to back, you would see Kate scowling and then Michelle with this permanent happy, content look on her face.

I don't watch it enough to have an opinion, but why so many kids? I don't get it.
The Duggars believe that children are a gift from God and that it is wrong to do anything to stop His will.

Old 04-16-2010, 03:13 AM

50,096 posts, read 63,480,500 times
I enjoy watching them. The kids are so cute. One thing good about their being on the show is at least the children get exposure to what is going on outside of their cloister.
At some point, some of the children are not going to get absorbed into the family businesses, and some of the girls won't get married and will need more education. That's when the show will get interesting.

Old 04-16-2010, 07:19 AM

5,697 posts, read 19,093,877 times
how many people are going to say "turn the channel."

Old 04-16-2010, 07:33 AM

822 posts, read 2,995,018 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by psr13 View Post
The Duggars believe that children are a gift from God and that it is wrong to do anything to stop His will.
I have no strong position in this larger debate, but do the parents have to have so much sex that they end up with 19 kids? It's one thing to allow God's will to take its course, but either they're having the sex for their own fulfillment or they're having it to make kids. Didn't a recent episode address how "just because marriage permits you to have sex doesn't mean you don't need to exert self control"?

But you know, I like the Duggars, they're really sweet people. I take no issue with them. If my daughter is going to have role models, they work in my book.

Old 04-16-2010, 08:33 AM

16,579 posts, read 20,633,799 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blossom4792 View Post
I have no strong position in this larger debate, but do the parents have to have so much sex that they end up with 19 kids? It's one thing to allow God's will to take its course, but either they're having the sex for their own fulfillment or they're having it to make kids. Didn't a recent episode address how "just because marriage permits you to have sex doesn't mean you don't need to exert self control"?

But you know, I like the Duggars, they're really sweet people. I take no issue with them. If my daughter is going to have role models, they work in my book.
Technically, they could be having sex once a year and end up with 19 kids.

But are you saying they're wrong to have sex for their own fulfillment?

I've never seen the Duggars. But I have wondered how any one kid can get enough parental attention when there are 19 of them. There are only so many hours in a day.

Old 04-16-2010, 10:23 AM

9,444 posts, read 17,346,068 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fallingwater View Post
how many people are going to say "turn the channel."
As many as it takes to get a point across.

Old 04-16-2010, 10:34 AM

623 posts, read 1,599,171 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by max's mama View Post
As many as it takes to get a point across.
What is the point people are trying to make by turning the channel? I of course started this thread so I will chime in.

Turning the channel is obviously what anyone does if they don't like something on tv. My point is they seem to be everywhere. TV, magazines, newspapers etc..... I know they seem like a nice family and they probably are but they seem to be reaching saint hood for no apparent reason other than they have 19 kids and do nice things for people. It is easy to do all these nice things for people when you have producers setting these things up for your family to experience. Wish I could have that as well. But that cost money and a lot of time in the real world. Something most of us live in. I can't help to wonder if they were not on tv they would be considered that weird family with all those kids.

I guess that what happens on tv! You do something "crazy" put it on tv and suddenly everyone is amazed.

This same thing went on with Jon and Kate until everyone had enough and then it got ugly. I wonder how long that will take with this. Anxiously waiting the implosion!

Old 04-16-2010, 10:51 AM

1,084 posts, read 2,471,454 times
I'm tired of them too. I don't like seeing this trend of family broods on tv. No, I don't watch the show, but it is on the commercials and in the news. It isn't cute and they need to sit down somewhere. To me, if you have so many kids that it is basically the older ones parenting the younger ones, and not you yourself, then you need to stop. I don't care if they are supposedly "debt free" or whatnot.

My philosophy about this is, if you are not living on a huge farm that needs tending to, then you don't need a brood of children. Cause that is basically the only reason why people would do that back then, for extra farm hands.

Old 04-16-2010, 10:51 AM

43,011 posts, read 107,739,078 times
I heard about the Druggars here in the parenting forum two months ago.

I read one newspaper article. I watched one show.

That's how quick I got tired of the Duggars.

I didn't continue to watch the show. I didn't create a thread. I just chose to never watch the Druggars after the first time.

If anything, I'm tired of seeing Druggar threads in the parenting forum.

Note to self: don't open the Druggar threads!

It's entirely possible to go through life without knowing who the Druggars are!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting