Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-16-2010, 11:20 AM

9,444 posts, read 17,349,099 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by littleelvis View Post
What is the point people are trying to make by turning the channel? I of course started this thread so I will chime in.

Turning the channel is obviously what anyone does if they don't like something on tv. My point is they seem to be everywhere. TV, magazines, newspapers etc..... I know they seem like a nice family and they probably are but they seem to be reaching saint hood for no apparent reason other than they have 19 kids and do nice things for people. It is easy to do all these nice things for people when you have producers setting these things up for your family to experience. Wish I could have that as well. But that cost money and a lot of time in the real world. Something most of us live in. I can't help to wonder if they were not on tv they would be considered that weird family with all those kids.

I guess that what happens on tv! You do something "crazy" put it on tv and suddenly everyone is amazed.

This same thing went on with Jon and Kate until everyone had enough and then it got ugly. I wonder how long that will take with this. Anxiously waiting the implosion!
I don't know...the only place where I still get reminded of the Duggars are here on this forum. I don't watch their show and don't watch a lot of entertainment news so they are not in my face.
That's the point we are trying to make.

I don't mind them, I'm just not interested in them...and I manage not to come across them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-16-2010, 11:38 AM

623 posts, read 1,599,476 times
I can understand that. I however am new to these forums and I may post on things that have been discussed many times. You can choose to "switch the channel as well" and not comment on my post. Just because something has been posted many times does not mean nobody can have a post or comment on it in the future.

Just ignore it if it is so easy

Old 04-16-2010, 02:56 PM

9,444 posts, read 17,349,099 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by littleelvis View Post
I can understand that. I however am new to these forums and I may post on things that have been discussed many times. You can choose to "switch the channel as well" and not comment on my post. Just because something has been posted many times does not mean nobody can have a post or comment on it in the future.

Just ignore it if it is so easy

You are actually making a good point. I won't butt in anymore. Carry on.

Old 04-17-2010, 07:17 PM

1,495 posts, read 5,036,291 times
I"m sick of them. She's going to end up with 25 by the time she's done. I don't understand how her bodies survives all those pregnancies.

Old 04-18-2010, 04:50 PM

316 posts, read 213,618 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 121804 View Post
She won't be gone for awhile b/c she brings in ratings for DWTS. People like to watch a train wreck. She is fame hungry. The show is using her as much as she is using the show. Some others will be gone before her until the professional dancer and professional ice skater who has taken dance are the final two left.

Many families in this country have 10, 11, 12 and more children. The Duggars have some extremely conservative views and the dad has figured out how to bank on these views as many find their lifestyle intriguing televsion. Again, in the end, it is about money. Personally, I find them an extremely caring family who seems to be turning out far more normal than what I see around in the grocery store or park these days. I'd rather have one of their daughters than a daughter who looks & probably is, half stoned, talking about using Jack Daniels to brush her teeth & having sex in a public bathroom.

I was raised fairly conservatively and now, in my 30s with my own young children, am beyond grateful for what my parents did not and did allow. If morals and ethics were not embedded in me and it was made clear to me that certain things were NOT a choice...who knows the route I'd be on today. It has helped a milllion as I run into struggles with my own children. So, to a large extent, kudos to the Duggars for not giving in to mainstream US society. And we may all judge them as we like, but they are getting the last laugh with the paycheck from the television show....
Morality in you own bubble is easy with someone watching your every move. These kids arent allowed to date, watch much tv, listen to music. I can understand looking after the smaller kids habits but the younger adults and older teens should have more control over their lives. It looks as if the younger adults arent allowed to freely surf the internet or watch tv freely. Im just not seeing it. I use to think my parents were strict. They were but not like this. At age 19 or 20, I lived at home but had much more freedom than these kids. I wore pants, watched tv, and listened to music and turned out ok. The parents need to put more faith in their children.Theres a difference in being moral and exteme. Michelle's detachment has been discussed on some forums. I am inlcining to agree. Some of the discipline is slipping if you watch regularly. If the Duggars would come out of their bubble they would see not makes good parents It is a dangerous concept to promote. The wrong person could get the idea to have so many children. I guess they forgot about Andrea Yates. Im not saying Michelle has these traits but Yates is the darker side to Fundamentalism. It doesnt take extreme beliefs to raise good children or even having children to be good examples. Nothing against big families but it needs to be in the proper perspective. Raising a kid from birth to 18 can cost around 100k. From a celeb perspective the thrill of announcing a pregnancy and all the attention can get addictive. Some people collect kids like some collect dolls.

Last edited by roddma; 04-18-2010 at 04:59 PM.. Reason: spell

Old 04-25-2010, 01:21 PM

4,978 posts, read 9,494,775 times
How come they get tax breaks for having all of those kids...it should be the same for everyone. Why should a family who had 2 or 3 kids have to pay taxes, but the family of 18 doesn't? The family of 18 sends their kids to school and gets free lunches? Jeesh, why are they rewarded for this?

Old 04-25-2010, 02:48 PM

22,658 posts, read 6,402,714 times
Never watch them. Claim to fame is churning out one kid after another. Yawn. Fine with me, but no reason to become famous.

Old 04-25-2010, 03:04 PM

2,839 posts, read 9,963,899 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nebulous1 View Post
How come they get tax breaks for having all of those kids...it should be the same for everyone. Why should a family who had 2 or 3 kids have to pay taxes, but the family of 18 doesn't? The family of 18 sends their kids to school and gets free lunches? Jeesh, why are they rewarded for this?
Ummmm.... they homeschool. They pay taxes so that OTHER people's kids can go to school and get free lunch, but they don't partake.

Old 09-12-2010, 08:39 PM

3,769 posts, read 8,772,492 times
Agreed - that smile on Michelle's face and the vapid look - combined with Jim Bob's hair is just CREEPY.

Old 09-12-2010, 08:42 PM

3,966 posts, read 6,848,515 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StilltheSame View Post
Agreed - that smile on Michelle's face and the vapid look - combined with Jim Bob's hair is just CREEPY.

My brother and i always laugh at that look because all the ultra religous people seem to have that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting