Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-24-2010, 07:04 PM

3,503 posts, read 4,530,731 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by gimme it View Post
An intelligent adult should be smart enough to figure out a way to discipline without resorting to violence.
It is very possible to raise happy, well-adjusted kids without ever laying a finger on them.
To me an intelligent person is wise enough to decide what mode of discipline to use, spanking being an option.
I spanked my children but it was not the primary form of disicpline. I believe of the three girls we raised in a span of maybe 15 years I only used spanking maybe 5 times.
So I know I am still intelligent even though I used that method of disicpline. There is a difference between spanking to discipline and for abuse.
Also, people are come in different personalities. Some personalities do respond with spanking better than others. Some parents may happen to have children that spanking is not necessary at all. To say say discipline is a cookie cutter method on all kids is not correct as far as I am concerned.
Disciplne is a art for lack of a better word.
Example: I used a wide variety of discipline methods with adult Soldiers. In some cases you may think it was abusive. To some other methods may seem very easy going. It is smart to learn to use the best method for different personalities.
There are some Soldiers you discipline them by taking away part of their pay, others their freedom to go out during the weekend, others may require some simple strong talk.
People have different ways to respond to punishment and discipline. That is when leadership styles come into play. There are Soldiers that all I have to do is wave the Flag and sing God Bless American and they will go an take the hill. Others you remind them of their Mom, girlfriend or their community and they are ready to take that hill also.
Others, you may need to hit them with the butt of your rifle and make them go up the hill with you. There are others that you comfort them and help them overcome their paralysing fears.

The same applies with children. I simply think spanking can be properly used with good results. My three daughters came up great, not emotionally distroyed. All ended up in fields where they help kids or people whether as social workers or counselors.

You have a great day.
El Amigo
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-24-2010, 07:07 PM

61,290 posts, read 87,066,921 times
dr spock lied. 40 years of time out has produced the highest prison population on earth.

Old 05-25-2010, 10:12 AM

5,747 posts, read 12,008,849 times
I, too, was most interested in the comments about consistency of discipline and the role of the father. Perhaps the OP, in his rush to defend corporal punishment, missed that part.

Old 05-26-2010, 07:18 AM

623 posts, read 1,597,730 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by formercalifornian View Post
I, too, was most interested in the comments about consistency of discipline and the role of the father. Perhaps the OP, in his rush to defend corporal punishment, missed that part.
What? I didn't miss anything. The article clearly points out that spanking has no long term consequences unless it is done into the teen years.

Perhaps in your rush to defend non spankers you only pick out the things you agree with disregard the rest.

My point is this: regardless of what all you touchy feel good non spankers say spanking is not wrong and is a good form of discipline when used correctly!

Old 05-26-2010, 12:10 PM

5,747 posts, read 12,008,849 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by littleelvis View Post
What? I didn't miss anything. The article clearly points out that spanking has no long term consequences unless it is done into the teen years.

Perhaps in your rush to defend non spankers you only pick out the things you agree with disregard the rest.

My point is this: regardless of what all you touchy feel good non spankers say spanking is not wrong and is a good form of discipline when used correctly!
The most important aspect of the article was the point that whatever discipline method a family uses should be applied consistently and without anger. I am neither pro- nor anti-spanking, and I was not attempting to defend non-spankers. You, however, seem bent on defending spankers. Why is that?

Old 05-26-2010, 12:19 PM

6,190 posts, read 7,941,190 times
I never plan on spanking.
I was spanked as a child and I never want my kids to go through that and only I can inflict that upon them.
When I am a parent I want to raise happy and healthy kids without them fearing getting hit. I want them to fo the right things because its what they want to do not because they'll fear getting hit. If they do something wrong they need to face real life consequences not getting hit.

Old 05-26-2010, 01:57 PM

15 posts, read 37,225 times
I was spanked as a kid never did me no harm and I certainly dont have a fetish.. tbh i think its what kids need with their disrespect of every thing today they need fear!

Old 05-26-2010, 02:10 PM

623 posts, read 1,597,730 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by formercalifornian View Post
The most important aspect of the article was the point that whatever discipline method a family uses should be applied consistently and without anger. I am neither pro- nor anti-spanking, and I was not attempting to defend non-spankers. You, however, seem bent on defending spankers. Why is that?
It is clear from the many posts on this subject that if you spank, people come out ridiculing you for it. They constantly post how bad it is for kids and how they will grow up to be violent kids. It simply is not true.

I am defending spankers for that purpose. Spanking is not wrong if done appropiately.

As far a your point of the article. It is very important on cosistency however my point is that spanking wil not cause long term damage as non spankers typically suggest.

Old 05-26-2010, 05:24 PM

1,492 posts, read 3,219,706 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by birdy_uk View Post
I was spanked as a kid never did me no harm and I certainly dont have a fetish.. tbh i think its what kids need with their disrespect of every thing today they need fear!
and so what if you did have a fetish.
Providing a person does not ry to force their fetish on others then what they do in private is their own business. It's gotta be better than raising un disciplined kids who turn into rotton adults.

Please note that I am not saying that all kids should be beaten in order to ensure that they are good adults.

Old 05-26-2010, 05:54 PM

4,471 posts, read 9,800,438 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aidxen View Post
and so what if you did have a fetish.
Providing a person does not ry to force their fetish on others then what they do in private is their own business. It's gotta be better than raising un disciplined kids who turn into rotton adults.
Exactly! Whats wrong if you like being spanked?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting