Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-18-2010, 05:39 PM

2,966 posts, read 3,903,350 times

Advertisements

My 14yo is VERY allergic to most deodorants so I always buy her the most natural stuff: Arm and Hammer's Essential Natural. It's not the good smelling stuff you're daughter (and my daughter) probably wants, but all that's in it is baking soda, chamomile, geranium and coriander oils. What we've found is that the better smelling the deodorant is, the less natural and more irritable it is.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-18-2010, 05:41 PM

2,839 posts, read 9,963,899 times
My son started wearing it at 7 as well. I buy him the aluminum-free, paraben-free natural stuff... I'm not going to let him wear the chemical/aluminum/paraben deoderant/antiperspirant until he's older. I would be especially wary of aerosols... not only are they spreading the potentially dangerous chemicals on their skin, but inhaling it as well. Eeks!

Old 04-18-2010, 07:23 PM

412 posts, read 1,227,241 times
My daughter had a slight body odor under her arms at a very young age - around 2 or 3. I only noticed it during the hot summer months when she played outside a lot. The pediatrician said it was "overactive sweat glands" and didn't seem too concerned. She suggested using an alcohol wipe after her bath at night. By the time she was around 8 or 9 it was more obvious, and the alcohol wipes just weren't working anymore. That's when she started using regular stick deodorant (Secret). She's 13 now, and we've never had any skin or rash issues with the deodorant.

Old 04-19-2010, 08:56 AM

2,212 posts, read 5,142,119 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kodaka View Post
If the doctor suspects its early puberty, why would a deodorant aimed at teenage girls be a problem? There are a number of brands to choose from, including natural formulas: Terra Naturals for Teens, Teen Spirit, Dove, etc.
Actually her pediatrician said it's NOT early puberty. Early puberty (according to the pediatrician) would show up first as very small nipple buds. My daughter's haven't formed yet (I know...TMI), but the pediatrician said it's just that some kids have overractive sweat glands.

So...the larger question for me was the "teenage" deodorant. We looked at Teen Spirit and I couldn't tell that there was much difference between the ingredients in that and the regular Secret (not the heavy duty Secret, just the standard stick). Was just curious if it was nothing more than a marketing gimmick.

Old 04-19-2010, 08:59 AM

2,212 posts, read 5,142,119 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by strawflower View Post
My 14yo is VERY allergic to most deodorants so I always buy her the most natural stuff: Arm and Hammer's Essential Natural. It's not the good smelling stuff you're daughter (and my daughter) probably wants, but all that's in it is baking soda, chamomile, geranium and coriander oils. What we've found is that the better smelling the deodorant is, the less natural and more irritable it is.
Interesting. I saw that brand but for me, the more "natural" something is, the less it works. I'm not so worried about the smell (and I don't think my daughter is really even thinking of that right now) of the deodorant, but whether or not it works. I'd like to get her the most natural stuff I can find until she gets a little older. Does the Arm & Hammer actually WORK? My daughter is VERY active...basketball, swimming, running around outside. It's not only the smell of her armpits, but I would also not like her to ruin her clothes (and B.O. can really ruin a shirt).

Old 04-19-2010, 09:35 AM

4,267 posts, read 6,167,403 times
I use natural deodorant and some work better then others. I've had good luck with Tom's of Maine. Not so good luck with Alba. I've heard that Oyin's Funk Butter works awesome but haven't personally tried it. funk butter - natural cream deodorant : Oyin Handmade, Nourishing Hair and Bodycare Products (http://oyinhandmade.com/shop/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=2&products_ id=7&zenid=pq6t9facpcn93s2kmbdrtf6pn0 - broken link)

Old 04-19-2010, 09:58 AM

10,105 posts, read 19,331,607 times
Oh, for pity sake, if she stinks get her deodorant! You're micromanaging the kid!
One pet peeve of mine, though, don't let her get started on scented deodorant. I despise scented deodorant, why use one scent to control another? I simply can't stand the smell of scented deodorant, especially when its "heat activated" Once body temperatures rise, the scent gets really noticable, except to the wearer, who has built up a tolerance to it. So everywhere he goes, he smells. Isn't that what we were trying to prevent?

My ds has fallen in love with that Axe stuff, I can't stand it. He thinks he smells "manly" he's just going with the commercials. Personally, I despise any scented body products, and scented laundry products. Ever get around someone who's used a ton of scented body products and laundry products? They break down over a few hours, clash with each other, and you have one stinky mess!

Old 04-19-2010, 03:04 PM

2,966 posts, read 3,903,350 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by the3Ds View Post
Interesting. I saw that brand but for me, the more "natural" something is, the less it works. I'm not so worried about the smell (and I don't think my daughter is really even thinking of that right now) of the deodorant, but whether or not it works. I'd like to get her the most natural stuff I can find until she gets a little older. Does the Arm & Hammer actually WORK? My daughter is VERY active...basketball, swimming, running around outside. It's not only the smell of her armpits, but I would also not like her to ruin her clothes (and B.O. can really ruin a shirt).
Yep, it works. My daughter always smells fine

Old 04-19-2010, 10:24 PM

1,036 posts, read 3,060,898 times
At 5 my youngest had to start wearing SOMETHING OMG. I got her some of the Teen Secret or something like that. She loved it and has been a dedicated wearer ever since. Until last year when she turned 12. All the sudden it quit working. I had to get her the top shelf Clinical Secret for Athletes to control her funk. After Tennis...whew you don't wanna be trapped in a closed car with her. The Clinical Secret worked for her though. Good luck!!

Old 04-20-2010, 03:55 AM

20,793 posts, read 61,147,762 times
Some kids are just smelly. Go hang out at the elementary school after PE class and you will know exactly what I mean. As for kids going into puberty early, that is just false. Kids are entering puberty no earlier or later than they did 10, 20, 50 years ago, in fact, it seems to be starting LATER.

There is no difference between "teen" deodorant and 'adult' deodorant. It is a marketing scheme. If your DD needs deodorant, buy her some. If you look at reputable medical sites you will find that most of the information about deodorant causing all kinds of diseases is false.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting