Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-19-2010, 09:18 PM

2,605 posts, read 4,679,685 times

Advertisements

I was under the assumption that 'Spring Break' was a college thing. Usually for high school break means a trip with the family to Disney World or Aspen, or stay home, in which case there is no permission to be sought unless invited by a friend's family.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-19-2010, 09:24 PM

2,383 posts, read 6,047,772 times
Not until she is a senior in high school. That is when I was allowed to go by myself, although I was not able to when the time came, but that is probably going to be my rule as well.

Old 04-20-2010, 04:02 AM

20,793 posts, read 61,147,762 times
High school-no, college-if they have the money and I don't need to bail them out of jail, fine.

Out of curiosity--who are "All these kids" on CNN? How many are "all"?

Old 04-20-2010, 04:20 AM

43,011 posts, read 107,764,882 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by golfgal View Post
Out of curiosity--who are "All these kids" on CNN? How many are "all"?
Natalie Holloway......and Natalie Holloway.......and Natalie Holloway.

Old 04-20-2010, 09:47 AM

486 posts, read 1,662,504 times
My kids are still young, but I don't think it's appropriate for high schools kids to get caught up in the Spring Break escapades yet. And I won't allow it at all during high school. That's not to say that I won't go somewhere for Spring Break and allow them to bring a couple of friends and we can stay up late, walk a boardwalk, eat out, go to a concert, etc... but I'm not letting a high schooler get involved with alcohol/drug infested nakedness, which happens all to frequently in college spring break vacations. Kidnapping would be less of a worry, but still on my radar too.

Old 04-20-2010, 10:44 AM

2,212 posts, read 5,142,119 times
Nope.

Kids are in way too much of a hurry to "grow up" and start acting like adults. Spring Break has always been traditionally a time for college kids to go to a warm location, drink, act stupidly and "let off some steam." What part of that would you like your high school kid being a part of?

Also...Natalie Holloway. Enough said. Young girl, fairly responsible, went with a group of friends, most likely was murdered by that idiot Dutch guy who probably paid some attention to her, and since she was young and her friends thought he was "sooooo cute", they didn't think anything of leaving her alone to hang out with him.

Not all teenagers are dumb. There probably ARE some who are good enough friends to make sure everyone leaves together and stays together. But that's a BIG "if" and Spring Break is a perfect opportunity for people with bad intentions to prey on kids who are either too trusting or too drunk to use common sense.

Old 04-20-2010, 11:19 AM

2,540 posts, read 6,217,186 times
High School, absolutely not! I live on the beach in a Spring Break area, so I see the behavior first hand. The Girls Gone Wild video was made here. What's a shame is the good girls that are staying out of trouble seem to be the ones that get raped. We've had 3 balcony falls this year, 2 were fatal.

College -not as long as I'm supporting her and paying her tuition.

Old 04-20-2010, 02:23 PM

1,226 posts, read 2,364,460 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by the3Ds View Post
Nope.

Kids are in way too much of a hurry to "grow up" and start acting like adults. Spring Break has always been traditionally a time for college kids to go to a warm location, drink, act stupidly and "let off some steam." What part of that would you like your high school kid being a part of?

Also...Natalie Holloway. Enough said. Young girl, fairly responsible, went with a group of friends, most likely was murdered by that idiot Dutch guy who probably paid some attention to her, and since she was young and her friends thought he was "sooooo cute", they didn't think anything of leaving her alone to hang out with him.

Not all teenagers are dumb. There probably ARE some who are good enough friends to make sure everyone leaves together and stays together. But that's a BIG "if" and Spring Break is a perfect opportunity for people with bad intentions to prey on kids who are either too trusting or too drunk to use common sense.
Umm... Natalie Holloway wasn't on "spring break", she was on a CLASS trip during spring break WITH Chaperones!!!
But yes, I agree.... no way, no how... unless you enjoy looking for your offspring by digging in landfills. (I watch WAY too much Nancy Grace!)
Of course, my oldest is only 9, so I really have no business commenting

Old 04-20-2010, 02:42 PM

2,966 posts, read 3,903,350 times
Natalee Holloway got into the car with the three (?) Dutch guys. Had she been educated about the dangers of doing that and had her friends been keeping an eye on her, that probably wouldn't have occured. Now that's not to say I'd let my high schooler go on spring break alone. I know of several families who went to Cancun this spring break with each other (they all have high schoolers), parents included. They said it was a great way to let the kids have certain freedoms but they were still able to keep an eye on them.

College on the other hand, yes, I'd let my kid go alone as long as I wouldn't have to pay for anything.

Old 04-20-2010, 03:57 PM

43,011 posts, read 107,764,882 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cc0789 View Post
Umm... Natalie Holloway wasn't on "spring break", she was on a CLASS trip during spring break WITH Chaperones!!!
It was a privately organized high school graduation trip. As a matter of fact, one of the chaperones was the woman who organized the trip---the travel agency owner. Just because some of the chaperones happened to be teachers doesn't mean that it was a CLASS trip sanctioned by the school. It was not a school sponsored event.

Since many affluent families living in school districts in the south have a tradition of sending their children on a trip as a graduation gift, the beach destinations have the same atmosphere as spring break. This whole Natalie Holloway story increased the number of parents who think they need to interfere with adult children going on trips. They're adults. If they're paying for it, nobody has a right to say where they go and what they do.

Those who say that as long as they live under their roof or are paying their children's tuition are merely trying to control their children longer than legally entitled. And it's their right, but I personally think that parents should become ADVISORS and MENTORS of their aduilt children, not manipulators.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting