Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-19-2010, 05:27 PM

687 posts, read 1,114,018 times

Advertisements

O.K. First time situation for me. My son wants to go to Junior Prom and take his gf. He expects me to pay for the prom tickets and to pay for his suit. I am unemployed at the moment and he is acting like a spoiled entitled teenager unappreciative of anything I am able to buy him let alone a new suit! What should I do???
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-19-2010, 05:42 PM

1,963 posts, read 5,603,374 times
He's old enough to understand household finances, so just be honest and lay out all your monthly expenses & tell him that you both are flat-out broke. Don't try to put it optimistically, or give false hope for a quick recovery or new job. He needs to see the stark reality of desperate circumstances. Ask him if he would rather have food on the table & clothes for school versus a fancy night on the town dancing & drinking.

If you can afford it (without affecting your budget) tell him you'll pay for his prom bid but he needs to sign a contract stating he is to take care of household chores & cook dinner certain days of the week. It's time for him to be a man and own up to family responsibilities.

Old 04-19-2010, 06:02 PM

1,490 posts, read 4,742,500 times
What about renting a tux for him? Many places seem to have "prom specials" where you get the basic tux for cheap. I can't understand actually buying a suit that he is only going to wear once. Have you considered contacting her parents about prom costs? I know that's non-traditional, but... let's be honest... we're living in a non-traditional world If nothing else and he is insisting on going... give him a budget (he can earn it with chores, etc...) and let him figure out how to get everything he needs for prom. I don't know where you are living, but we're in a small town and our kids often trade / borrow dresses, tuxes, etc... for proms.

Old 04-19-2010, 07:05 PM

I think I might rent a tux for about $50 and he can use his Dad's shoes? Anyone ever do this for a prom? He is supposedly starting a job in three weeks. Should I have him pay me back for any of this?

Old 04-19-2010, 07:12 PM

45,218 posts, read 100,428,182 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by osuzana View Post
I think I might rent a tux for about $50 and he can use his Dad's shoes? Anyone ever do this for a prom? He is supposedly starting a job in three weeks. Should I have him pay me back for any of this?
Rent the tux, use Dad's shoes. But don't make him pay you back As it is, he'll have to buy the girl a wrist corsage (about $15.) and some dinner - that will probably be more than enough for him to have to cover.

This is a school event, and an important one to kids. If his class were going to the science museum, or on a 2 day trip to NASA or D.C. wouldn't you want to be sure it got to go??

Old 04-19-2010, 07:14 PM

24,873 posts, read 36,072,590 times
Quote:
Maybe. If he has an attitude of entitlement, and money is really tight for you, and he has a job...

Old 04-19-2010, 07:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovesMountains View Post
Rent the tux, use Dad's shoes. But don't make him pay you back As it is, he'll have to buy the girl a wrist corsage (about $15.) and some dinner - that will probably be more than enough for him to have to cover.

This is a school event, and an important one to kids. If his class were going to the science museum, or on a 2 day trip to NASA or D.C. wouldn't you want to be sure it got to go??
It would be me paying for the tickets, corsage and everything else! A real responsible guy would pay for at least these things himself don't you think? Attitude of entitlement while knowing how tight things are and still asks for money but I'll leave it at the original question.

Old 04-19-2010, 07:21 PM

45,218 posts, read 100,428,182 times
Quote:
It would be me paying for the tickets, corsage and everything else! A real responsible guy would pay for at least these things himself don't you think? Attitude of entitlement while knowing how tight things are and still asks for money but I'll leave it at the original question.

Like I said, he should cover the flowers and dinner - you pitch in for the tickets and tux.

I would be willing to bet he's not normally a bratty kid with a total entitlement mentality, or is he? I'm guessing he's just really upset that you would balk at paying what he knows most other parents are paying for when this is such a big deal and milestone.

Old 04-19-2010, 08:01 PM

24,873 posts, read 36,072,590 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovesMountains View Post
Like I said, he should cover the flowers and dinner - you pitch in for the tickets and tux.

I would be willing to bet he's not normally a bratty kid with a total entitlement mentality, or is he? I'm guessing he's just really upset that you would balk at paying what he knows most other parents are paying for when this is such a big deal and milestone.
But if he really wants to go, shouldn't he be willing to pay for it? the OP said she is unemployed, right? It doesn't set a very good example to pay for something like this when she doesn't have any money.

When I was a freshman in HS and didn't have a job, I asked my parents if I could go to the winter formal. I was pretty humble about it, IIRC. I didn't feel entitled. I simply pointed out that you're only in HS once, and I might not have a boyfriend in upcoming years. I borrowed a dress, and my parents paid for everything else.

By the time I was a senior, I had a job. The dress I wanted was pretty expensive. My mom agreed to pay for the dress, but I paid for everything else - shoes, jewelery, purse, hair style, manicure...

For the poster who said to ask the girlfriend if she could pay, at first I thought that seemed reasonable. But, now that I think about it, she has enough to pay for on her own.

Normally, I say a teen shouldn't miss out on something like the prom, and parents should help pay. It only happens once. But if the parent doesn't have a job...

Old 04-19-2010, 08:20 PM

13,976 posts, read 25,864,248 times
Is there a difference between a junior prom, and a prom for juniors and seniors? The latter is what our school offers, and it costs a mint. If this was a separate prom altogether, for younger students, I would be less inclined to tax family finances for it. I would, however, hate to see a student have to miss their prom in their senior year.

So far this year we have purchased a tux ( 4 formals made it cheaper than renting), paid for the prom night limo @ $120.00, and purchased the prom bids @ 2 X's $45.00. My son still has to pay for the dinner beforehand, and the corsage. If he was a junior I would be far less inclined to pick up any of these expenses.

Tuxedos can be found in consignment shops for a fraction of what they cost new, providing you are in an area that would call for tux ownership. Most grocery stores offer corsages at a price below what the florists charge. Pre-prom dinners can be held a someone's home with parents or kids doing the cooking. Limos aren't necessary unless the prom is held a distance from the school. In our case it is downtown Atlanta, so with traffic and parking being what it is, the limo makes sense.

Do what you can, but don't feel guilty for putting your family's best interests first.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting