Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-23-2010, 03:12 AM

2,807 posts, read 7,562,392 times

Advertisements

Yeah...the fact that the OP hasn't said one single word to explain, answer, or defend his position makes me think this was just a trolling fiasco. If this is not the case, I seriously hope all the angry voices on here have made him realize he has to start acting like a parent and teach his child that abusing animals is NOT okay!

Last edited by luvmycat; 04-23-2010 at 03:22 AM.. Reason: typo
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-23-2010, 09:44 AM

9 posts, read 20,119 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 88txaggie View Post
oh for goodness sake, the fail on this thread is huge! we get physical discipline with pets AND kids, all in the same thread??!?! Not to mention the OP.

First - this child is 3.5 years old, not a budding serial killer, for goodness sake. She just hasn't been taught how to handle animals. She does not need behavioral therapy, or a psychologist, or a pediatrician, good grief! Now if she were 8 or 9, maybe....

And for those who advocate popping a puppy or dog.....oh, I'll just shut up now.
As mentioned this is probably a troll post and I was suckered in. However, the point I was trying to make is that the parent just sat there and watched. If this was going on in a household there are some kind of issues there. The help would be need not for just the child but the household as a whole. Children are very impressionable and their first steps to learning start at home, especially social interactive learning.

Old 04-23-2010, 11:19 AM

426 posts, read 789,818 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by triciajeanne View Post
I think everyone can rest easy - Lost Soul83 just joined citydata.com less than two weeks ago and has already made 120 posts/most of them inflamatory or argumentative. I don't believe there is likely a 3.5 year old nor a puppy.

Several others thought that this might be a trolling post and it appears it is from what I can surmise. So I would ignore the OP. Just another sorry person wasting everyone's time and effort.
I'm only curious, but how do you find that out? That they just became members? I get the trolling part, and though I replied on this thread, I had a sneaky suspicion. I'm still kinda new at this stuff too but find alot of informative stuff

Old 04-23-2010, 12:34 PM

511 posts, read 2,195,433 times
Troll post or not, I just have to say it is really not that difficult (IMO) to raise a puppy and a toddler together. You just have to be involved for crying out loud- teach, train, be there! We adopted a 9 week old puppy right before our dd turned 2. DD was taught from day one to be gentle with the puppy, not to yank ears/tail/toes/fur, ect. She helped bathe the puppy, brush the puppy, feed the puppy, play with the puppy and walk the puppy, all with direct supervision, being taught how to properly treat & care for the pup. Meanwhile the puppy was trained to have good maners and to be gentle as well- I went over the pup several times every day, gently playing with her toes, giving light, gentle little tugs to her ears, tail, fur, paws and so on. All of these things are easy to do and in my opinion obvious

Our 60lb dog Riley is now 3 years old and our dd almost 5... dd can walk Riley on the lead herself, play fetch with Riley & give her the command to drop toys, give the dog treats from her hand and command her to do several tricks. Riley lays still and calm while dd plays vet- listens to her heart, bandages her paw, givers her a pretend shot, ect (all these things are supervised, of course). They are best buddies, and in fact dd calls Riley her "sister". Young kids just need to be taught about how to care for animals... all it takes is a bit of time & some love.

Old 04-23-2010, 01:48 PM

426 posts, read 789,818 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SheridanPDC View Post
Troll post or not, I just have to say it is really not that difficult (IMO) to raise a puppy and a toddler together. You just have to be involved for crying out loud- teach, train, be there! We adopted a 9 week old puppy right before our dd turned 2. DD was taught from day one to be gentle with the puppy, not to yank ears/tail/toes/fur, ect. She helped bathe the puppy, brush the puppy, feed the puppy, play with the puppy and walk the puppy, all with direct supervision, being taught how to properly treat & care for the pup. Meanwhile the puppy was trained to have good maners and to be gentle as well- I went over the pup several times every day, gently playing with her toes, giving light, gentle little tugs to her ears, tail, fur, paws and so on. All of these things are easy to do and in my opinion obvious

Our 60lb dog Riley is now 3 years old and our dd almost 5... dd can walk Riley on the lead herself, play fetch with Riley & give her the command to drop toys, give the dog treats from her hand and command her to do several tricks. Riley lays still and calm while dd plays vet- listens to her heart, bandages her paw, givers her a pretend shot, ect (all these things are supervised, of course). They are best buddies, and in fact dd calls Riley her "sister". Young kids just need to be taught about how to care for animals... all it takes is a bit of time & some love.
I love your story! I had an Irish Setter growing up and we were best buddies too. She was my mom's dog, but she followed me around all the time.

Old 04-23-2010, 03:24 PM

1,474 posts, read 2,912,856 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by luvmycat View Post
Yeah...the fact that the OP hasn't said one single word to explain, answer, or defend his position makes me think this was just a trolling fiasco. If this is not the case, I seriously hope all the angry voices on here have made him realize he has to start acting like a parent and teach his child that abusing animals is NOT okay!
The poster is now trolling in the politics forum now.

Old 04-23-2010, 03:41 PM

43,011 posts, read 107,764,882 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SheridanPDC View Post
Our 60lb dog Riley is now 3 years old and our dd almost 5... They are best buddies, and in fact dd calls Riley her "sister". Young kids just need to be taught about how to care for animals... all it takes is a bit of time & some love.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carrie2979 View Post
I love your story! I had an Irish Setter growing up and we were best buddies too. She was my mom's dog, but she followed me around all the time.
When I was that age, my best buddy was a Shetland Sheepdog.

When I was playing outside, he would protect me by herding to prevent me from leaving the yard.

Old 04-23-2010, 08:10 PM

383 posts, read 221,915 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rockinmomma View Post
Does she treat the puppy like a doll? Chances are she just doesn't understand that the puppy is a living being or that she is hurting him. the older animals probably don't get the treatment because they will not allow it. the puppy may not realize that being drug by the neck can hurt him if he were to move a different way. (puppies are like babies, pretty much made with rubber bones)

What type of puppy is this?
Maybe she should not be able to handle the puppy until they both get older.
Yeah she loves on it calls it her puppy etc. But when she is alone with it or thinks she is alone she is mean to it. Its a pug/****zu/boston terrier mix.

Old 04-23-2010, 08:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bellalunatic View Post
A 3.5 year old should have a basic understanding of living things versus inanimate objects.

You allow her to treat the puppy this way? Please give the puppy back to where it came from or you will end up with a very nasty and mean and scared dog.

A child as young as 18 months has the capacity to have empathy.

As the parent it is your duty to teach her this and you should not allow her to spank the older dogs either.
I don't let her treat it that way. I have taken the puppy away from her popped my daughter on the butt after numerous warnings not to do that to the puppy and I have even sat down and told her she can not do that to the puppy.

Old 04-23-2010, 08:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sophialee View Post
And when one of these dogs bite her for spanking them or flinging them around by the neck, you'll have them put down probably? Perfect.
A few of them have nipped at her, enough to scare her but she is bold and a few days later she is back to sitting on them crawling all over them etc. Now that she has her own puppy she does not bother them as much. I think it may have something to do with the fact her brother is 1 and we allow them usually to try and work things out my son has gotten to where he stands up for himself tries to push her away etc and has even tried to bite her for messing with him and I guess she thinks it's ok to be mean to the puppy because she is bigger than it since she is not allowed to be mean to her brother. No one else in the family treats animals like that so dunno where she got this from.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting