Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-25-2010, 10:37 AM

648 posts, read 1,171,455 times

Advertisements

ummm... you have to TEACH children how to treat animals..... duh. For their safety and for hers. Especially at 3 yrs old, which is a little young to get a puppy 'FOR your daughter'. Isn't this kind of Common Knowledge...?? Parenting 101, if you will? I sure hope you didn't just sit there watching your kid flinging the pup around. Surely you got up and corrected her right away, right? Geeez..... People who aren't parents having to teach the people with kids how to be parents!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-25-2010, 02:43 PM

2,855 posts, read 10,403,051 times
If my 3 year old was already "spanking" other animals in the house I wouldn't have brought home another one let alone a puppy.

Perhaps she is modeling behavior she sees in the home....or elsewhere.
Change the behavior she is seeing and hers will likely change.

Old 04-25-2010, 06:47 PM

2,966 posts, read 3,903,722 times
Honestly, I think this is a troll. But if it's serious..

why on earth did you get a puppy FOR your daughter? She's three years old for crying out loud! A puppy is SO much different then getting your daughter a hamster, for instance. It seriously boggles my mind that even when you knew your kid has a history of being rough with animals, you still chose to get her the dog.

I would re home the dog until your daughter knows how to be responsible for animals.

Old 04-26-2010, 02:34 AM

272 posts, read 638,781 times
I would give HER a spanking. Poor dog, you need to teach her to respect animals. Your the parent,now teach her. It's proven that most serial killers started hurting animals when they were young, then went on to people as they got older.

Old 04-26-2010, 06:45 PM

45,218 posts, read 100,435,573 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 88txaggie View Post
Therapy is necessary for children who need therapy. This child, IMO, needs to be taught that a puppy is not a toy. Ergo, no therapy needed, for the child or the family. If, after teaching, child still throws puppy around and laughs while doing it, then therapy. Not before.

Therapy, when it is needed, is helpful and necessary for many children to deal with serious mental health issues.

I am not against therapy when it is warranted, that would be a bit counterproductive.

Exactly my point

There are situations in which professional help/therapy is necessary, and when not getting such help would be considered neglect on the part of a parent.

Some children (for various reasons) are disturbed or mentally ill and no amount of disciplining them or loving them will cure them by itself.

Most likely, the OP's child is just still too young to fully understand how to treat a small puppy. She needs guidence and discipline from her parents while being closely supervised with the puppy for sure.

But on the off chance there is something more going on with this child, I think it is important for the OP to recognize that sociopathic behavior often begins with the mistreatment of small animals. If this behavior were to continue as the child grows it could be cause for alarm and reason to seek professional help for the child.

When it comes to parenting it is the wise parent who realizes a "one size fits all approach" is not always in the best interests of their children.

Old 04-26-2010, 08:04 PM

12,169 posts, read 17,607,482 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LostSoul83 View Post
I see most here are incompetent. I do not LET her abuse the puppy I warn her and then I punish her/take the dog away from her. If all you "people" do is belittle someone who asks for an opinion and maybe a reason the child is doing something then you all suck as parents.Thanks for nothing.
Many reputable breeders won't allow their smaller dogs to go to a family with a child as young as your daughter. Small dogs are fragile and can easily break a bone, or suffer internal injuries, if dropped or mishandled. Pugs are very prone to eye injuries. Please supervise your daughter while she plays with the puppy. Good luck.

Old 04-26-2010, 08:10 PM

2,605 posts, read 4,680,223 times
There is nothing wrong with getting a puppy for a 3 year old. There is nothing wrong with the 3 year old, she just needs to learn how to be nice to the pup.

Many, many people have dogs or get puppies when they have small children and even babies. They survive. This little girl will grow up with a great friend as long as she is nice to him.

And she is not a sociopath because she's 3 and hasn't learned yet.

Old 04-26-2010, 08:52 PM

4,231 posts, read 15,387,291 times
I disagree. 3 year olds can accidently drop or hurt a puppy. Sure most may survive but not many people want to deal with expensive vet / surgery bills, broken legs etc or a scared and biting puppy and an upset kid. Like the OP earlier stated, the little girl is hurting the puppy and the other animals in the family. We only got a small glimpse into what's going on but this puppy would fare better in another home where it's better supervised and has a good chance for a happy and safe life.

Old 04-26-2010, 09:18 PM

45,218 posts, read 100,435,573 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Honeycrisp View Post
I disagree. 3 year olds can accidently drop or hurt a puppy. Sure most may survive but not many people want to deal with expensive vet / surgery bills, broken legs etc or a scared and biting puppy and an upset kid. Like the OP earlier stated, the little girl is hurting the puppy and the other animals in the family. We only got a small glimpse into what's going on but this puppy would fare better in another home where it's better supervised and has a good chance for a happy and safe life.
I agree with you.

We tried once to adopt a kitten from a no-kill shelter, but they turned us down because my youngest child was not yet four.

I had not thought about how easily a preschool child can accidentally hurt a small animal until then. Since then I've been able to see the value in waiting until you are sure a child is old enough to be trusted to understand the seriousness of treating animals well.

This child should not have been allowed to mistreat the puppy again after the very first time it happened. While the 3 year old could be perfectly normal, or not, the fact she has continually done this is unconscionable on the part of her parents.

Old 04-27-2010, 07:58 AM

141 posts, read 426,956 times
I think the original poster just wants to get people fired up. "wahh, my daughter hurts an animal, I don't know why. WHAT??? You're giving me advice?! How dare you!!!! And I am a wonderful parent, getting a living, breathing creature for a 3 year old - someone who still can't even take care of a babydoll."

Some people are just stupid hicks. No point in giving advice, she doesn't want to hear it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting