U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-25-2010, 07:11 PM

3,646 posts, read 10,317,805 times

Advertisements

While surfing the web and looking for ideas for decorating my kid's bathroom in our new home, my 10 year old ds has been the stumbling block. Just like his bedroom, he has "pooh-poohed" every idea. He'd like both rooms painted beige, with brown carpeting, brown curtains, etc.

He'll share this bathroom with his younger sister for the next 8 or so years. She'd like to see rainbows and bright colors.

So tonight, in frustration I asked him to name ONE THING he'd like to see in the bathroom. In 'typical male' style, he answered simply and honestly...

"A toilet".
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-25-2010, 07:14 PM

42,819 posts, read 53,315,024 times
Why are you asking him? He doesn't care, so decorate it as you please. It's your house.

Old 04-25-2010, 07:16 PM

11,642 posts, read 22,130,622 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sskkc View Post
While surfing the web and looking for ideas for decorating my kid's bathroom in our new home, my 10 year old ds has been the stumbling block. Just like his bedroom, he has "pooh-poohed" every idea. He'd like both rooms painted beige, with brown carpeting, brown curtains, etc.

He'll share this bathroom with his younger sister for the next 8 or so years. She'd like to see rainbows and bright colors.

So tonight, in frustration I asked him to name ONE THING he'd like to see in the bathroom. In 'typical male' style, he answered simply and honestly...

"A toilet".
As long as it's not to girly he won't care.

Old 04-25-2010, 07:20 PM

2,605 posts, read 4,343,891 times
Since the bathroom is being shared by a girl and boy, I'd keep it pretty neutral and let them do what they want with their rooms. That way, he won't think it's too girly and she won't think it's too blah.

Maybe neutral with some bright towels or something. When he has friends over they won't laugh at him, and when she has friends over, they won't be leery of going into something too boyish.

Old 04-25-2010, 07:54 PM

24,854 posts, read 33,123,146 times
Quote:

"A toilet".
ha ha!

Old 04-25-2010, 08:01 PM

6,487 posts, read 7,843,898 times
Quote:

"A toilet".
My son is 17 and that is all he would require. He just doesn't care about decor at all.

Old 04-25-2010, 08:14 PM

4,502 posts, read 12,700,013 times
Target has a great selection of bathroom decor for kids. They have girl-specific, boy-specific and just plain old kid-specific.

You can get something with cute little fishies all over it or just something with bright colors.

Don't stress on it --- I mean, really, how much time do they spend in the bathroom anyway? 15 minutes total a day?

Old 04-25-2010, 08:22 PM

3,646 posts, read 10,317,805 times
Seriously? This is where the thread has gone?

Lighten up folks - I'm not looking for input on decorating from anyone other than the two people who will be using it most of the time. I thought I'd share something I found very funny... wrong forum apparently.

Old 04-25-2010, 08:43 PM

25,388 posts, read 33,062,301 times
Quote:

"A toilet".
LOL. So give him one. Tell him he can decorate it any way he wants.

Let him decorate his room, let her decorate her room and you decorate the bathroom they'll share. Just do it. I wouldn't give either of them total say in the bathroom. If they can't reach a consensus, you choose. Give them a timeline and you choose if they don't agree. Just don't make it beige and brown or rainbows if you choose. Do fish or something.

Old 04-25-2010, 08:51 PM

23,597 posts, read 25,816,616 times
Agree - he won't care as long as it's not too girly. My DS (now 16) always shared a bathroom with his sister - we usually had it painted a very light grey-blue with some b/w photos etc in there. Once his sister left for college and took all the girl stuff with her, he really didn't care what else it looked like. We recently repainted and the new color was a bit too....lavender (not obnoxiously so but not what I expected - swatch looked different - it will get repainted this summer). His response "don't care".
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting