Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-26-2010, 07:57 AM

457 posts, read 757,009 times

Advertisements

Against my better judgment I agreed my 9.5 years old daughter could watch the movie “SAW” with my wife. My wife is a horror movie buff but I prefer suspense movies. Yesterday I asked my wife the where-abouts of our daughter and she said, “about to watch “SAW II”. HOLD UP! After another discussion about the responsibility of a 9 yr old watching a violent movie we changed our minds about that particular privilege. I went into my daughter’s room and explained, mainly my concerns, about her watching horror movies at the age of nine. She was a little disappointed but quite understood. After, my wife and I talked more about how it isn’t a good idea for a child to find entertainment in people being tortured. At this point my wife pointed out AFV (America’s Funniest Videos), boy that deflated my bubble cause I like that show and I allow my daughter to watch it with me.
The conclusion is she can watch AFV with a parent but not movies that depict murder and mutilation as entertainment.

How do some of you handle this??
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-26-2010, 08:10 AM

2,605 posts, read 4,693,382 times
Mine was never interested in movies like that, but she has watched some other things (Final Destination and The Ring I and II.). When kids understand movies are not real, they don't have nighmares and are normal kids, I think it's up to the parent to judge whether they should see those kinds of movies.

Old 04-26-2010, 08:16 AM

2,080 posts, read 4,845,409 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrmikeman View Post
At this point my wife pointed out AFV (America’s Funniest Videos), boy that deflated my bubble cause I like that show and I allow my daughter to watch it with me.
The conclusion is she can watch AFV with a parent but not movies that depict murder and mutilation as entertainment.
Are you comparing America's Funniest Videos to SAW?

Old 04-26-2010, 08:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by renovating View Post
Are you comparing America's Funniest Videos to SAW?
No not really but I do see the similarities; they both offer a form of entertainment in people getting hurt.
Do you disagree?

Old 04-26-2010, 08:31 AM

24,012 posts, read 28,458,432 times
The people getting "hurt" on AFV generally get up and walk away laughing.

Old 04-26-2010, 08:33 AM

2,080 posts, read 4,845,409 times
Quote:
No not really but I do see the similarities; they both offer a form of entertainment in people getting hurt.
Do you disagree?
Well, I haven't seen anyone intentionally tortured or mutilated on AFV lately... so yes, I do disagree.

Old 04-26-2010, 09:37 AM

1,490 posts, read 4,756,246 times
I completely fail to see the similarities between someone taking a ball-shot with a plastic bat wielded by a 3 year old and bloody, graphic mutilation with people screaming.

My kids were not (are not) allowed to watch movies like that. My 15 year old just recently decided she wanted to see a scary movie in the theatre... I believe it's the first one she has really indicated an interest in seeing.

There is enough violence in the world without using it as a form of entertainment for a child in grade-school.

Old 04-26-2010, 10:06 AM

5,064 posts, read 15,900,631 times
I'm another person who fails to see the similarities between the SAW movies and AFHV.

My daughter and I always loved to watch horror and suspense movies, but 9 is just too young for the gore of SAW. That's very hardcore violent and bloody. I agree that it depends on the child, but for that level of violence I'd think more like 11 or 12, but even that's pushing it. At 9 I'd stick with less violent suspense movies, and yes, AFHV.

Old 04-26-2010, 11:29 AM

436 posts, read 1,523,301 times
I understand your point with AFV and saw. In a way, AFV kind of encourages us to laugh when someone gets hurt. And we don't usually see the person get up and walk away from whatever happens, it is just cut to another clip. So, in a way, we don't really SEE that the person is fine, but it is implied. In a way, this could be confusing to young children, but at 9 I think your child can realize that the people in AFV are ok in the end.

However, in saw, you see the people being tortured/mutilated. I think it is not appropriate for young children to watch those kind of movies. They are rated R for a reason. Yes, some children can handle those kind of movies, but not all children are able to process that it is not real. I, personally, think it desensitizes children to violence. The saw movies are extremely gory, much more than the movies I grew up watching.

Old 04-26-2010, 11:48 AM

Quote:
Do you disagree?
Quote:
Originally Posted by maciesmom View Post
The people getting "hurt" on AFV generally get up and walk away laughing.
Quote:
Originally Posted by renovating View Post
Well, I haven't seen anyone intentionally tortured or mutilated on AFV lately... so yes, I do disagree.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sabinerose View Post
I completely fail to see the similarities between someone taking a ball-shot with a plastic bat wielded by a 3 year old and bloody, graphic mutilation with people screaming.

My kids were not (are not) allowed to watch movies like that. My 15 year old just recently decided she wanted to see a scary movie in the theatre... I believe it's the first one she has really indicated an interest in seeing.

There is enough violence in the world without using it as a form of entertainment for a child in grade-school.
Quote:
Originally Posted by andthentherewere3 View Post
I'm another person who fails to see the similarities between the SAW movies and AFHV.

My daughter and I always loved to watch horror and suspense movies, but 9 is just too young for the gore of SAW. That's very hardcore violent and bloody. I agree that it depends on the child, but for that level of violence I'd think more like 11 or 12, but even that's pushing it. At 9 I'd stick with less violent suspense movies, and yes, AFHV.
Come on folks, read my reply above. Gees
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting