Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-01-2010, 01:42 AM

1,224 posts, read 3,374,593 times

Advertisements

I go out of my way not to by name brand clothes for anyone in my family. I try to buy everything on sell. Its just the way I was raised we had nice things just never name brand.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-01-2010, 08:22 AM

88,580 posts, read 84,795,337 times
When my daughter wanted a coach bag in ninth grade, I bought her for her birthday a gift card for $50. She had to get the rest together from birthday money and her part-time job at the horse stable. I taught her from a young age that it's WRONG to pay full price for anything, so when she wanted a particular name-brand she would wait for sales. Certain things she cared about the name brand and other things she didn't-for example, she had a hard time finding jeans that fit her the way she liked, and she ended up finding Levis to be the best fit for her. It seems as if around eighth and ninth grades the name brands were important to her and her friends, but then as they got a little older and had part-time jobs and became more conscious of costs, they developed a sort of anti-name-brand snobbery and talked about their classmates who dressed in Abercrombie for wasting so much money on clothing that wasn't worth it.

As the other poster said, this was north Jersey, where the name-brand thing is rampant. You can use it as a lesson to teach your kids to compare prices and see what they are getting for their money other than becoming a walking advertisement for a brand.

Old 05-01-2010, 11:37 AM

36,499 posts, read 54,084,735 times
Just in case you might be thinking this is a problem only for the last generation or two I want you to know that I am almost 64 and when I was in High School we all HAD to have Villager blouses and dresses with Circle Pins-monogramed of course and Weejuns, a kind of loafers.

One day I caught a cheerleader buying some fake weejuns at Belk and she was mortified. They were pretty similar but a discerning eye could tell the difference. She called me up later and said she would invite me to a special Cheerleader party and tell everybody we were friends if I promised not to tell about seeing her buy an off brand shoe.

We laughed about this story at our 45th reunion.......BTW it was the worst party I've ever been to!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting