Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-11-2007, 04:23 PM

Location: Phoenix...until next week, then Maryland...tick tock tick tock
169 posts, read 607,644 times

Advertisements

I've got a question for y'all...

My son is 16 months old & really isn't saying anything yet. I know he understands me, I can tell. He follows simple directions, even from people he doesn't know well. I have heard a couple of words out of him (it was really delightful when he clearly said GD in front of the "in laws" the 1st time I met them... *sigh*) but he will say them maybe once or twice (very clearly, I might add) & then that's it. he doesn't say them anymore. He babbles a LOT & you can have a very full conversation with him if you can think of things to say to his babble. He doesn't seem to have any signs of Autism or anything. He is bright, looks people in the eye, & seems to do just fine in social situations.

The thing with him (& I saw this with him when he was learning to crawl & walk) is that he doesn't do things unless he sees a good reason why he should. I could tell that he could've crawled much sooner than he did...he just didn't feel like it. Same thing with walking. (...geez, I wonder if he's just going to start throwing out sentences all of the sudden...both when he crawled & walked, he pretty much just started doing it... )

The point of all that was that I was wondering if you guys had any suggestions as to how I can encourage him to communicate with me. I've tried teaching him sign language, & he knows several signs...but he doesn't use them. He's starting to get miffed with me & have little frustrated "episodes" so I know it's getting to be time for him to start learning to communicate! Any helpful tips or suggestions?

Thanks in advance!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-11-2007, 04:33 PM

3,360 posts, read 12,264,630 times
Do you talk to him now?

Old 06-11-2007, 04:35 PM

3,684 posts, read 11,813,161 times
If he understands you then I wouldn't worry about it yet. I think they are supposed to say three words by 18 months (check this because I'm not sure if I am remembering it right). But if it will help to alleviate your concerns you can self refer to your state's Early Childhood Intervention program and they can evaluate him for speech delay or other problems. But like I said I wouldn't worry about it. My first son was always right on the edge of needing to be tested, he didn't really talk that others could understand him until he was 3. Actually to get him to speak more clearly I would repeat what he said to me, when he started to make sense I stopped and he would keep repeating himself until I finally would say it too....I think he came to think I couldn't hear him unless I repeated what he said...LOL Kids are funny.

Old 06-11-2007, 04:36 PM

3,176 posts, read 14,696,911 times
JUst takes time

Mine was a very late talker (after he turned 3) - he's 5 now and we have great conversations!

Old 06-11-2007, 04:54 PM

yep, I do try to talk to him & explain what I'm doing. I try to teach him what shapes, animals, & things are as they present themselves.

Also, "Sweet Pea, pet the doggie, don't hit/grab the doggie" is a very common phrase in our household!

It's just frustrating when other (much younger) kids are talking & he isn't. I know that he's intelligent, but he just doesn't want to. Likewise, I don't want to make him feel like there's something wrong with him when there really isn't.

Heh...& I guess there is a part of me who wants to have the "superbaby" that does everything faster & smarter than all other babies...hehehe

ps...thanks for the input so far! I already feel a little better about it...

Old 06-11-2007, 05:08 PM

3,684 posts, read 11,813,161 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MsB23 View Post
Heh...& I guess there is a part of me who wants to have the "superbaby" that does everything faster & smarter than all other babies...hehehe
Yeah you think that until they start answering back. If they can't talk yet at least they can't answer back!...LOL

Old 06-11-2007, 05:15 PM

62 posts, read 245,655 times
As long as you know his hearing and comprehension are okay,
I wouldn't worry . . . 16 months is still very young . . . he's got
plenty of time.
My 21-month old has 2 recognizable words - but clearly understands
most of what is said to her and has no problem following simple
directions . . . she also has 2 older sibs who dote on her and do her
bidding, so I guess she'll speak when she's ready.
My oldest daughter is 10. She didn't speak words that non-family
members could understand until she was over 3 years old . . . but
she knew more than half her alphabet when she was 12 months old!
She did have a year of speech therapy in preschool, which helped
with her pronunciation - but then, she may have been fine without it,
and simply continued to develop at her own pace.
Currently a 4th grader, she tests to be the brightest child in her
entire elementary school.

Old 06-11-2007, 05:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluewatergirl View Post
As long as you know his hearing and comprehension are okay,
I wouldn't worry . . .
Yeah, I'm pretty sure it is. He gets a lot of ear infections (he gets a little congested, then gets an ear infection which makes the congestion worse...insert vicious cycle here...) but I don't think he has any hearing damage. he seems to hear & comprehend well, altho he does ignore me sometimes... I suppose I should get used to that, tho!

Quote:
Originally Posted by irishmom
Yeah you think that until they start answering back. If they can't talk yet at least they can't answer back!...LOL
heh...I've heard similar things about them crawling/walking, too! You get all excited when they can do it...but now they are mobile which introduces mama to a whole new world...

I guess since he's my 1st & I'm still a relative NOOB, I'm a little more apprehensive than absolutely necessary... What you guys are saying about how long it took your little ones to talk really helps! A lot of those sites by "experts" have me expecting things that don't really seem normal, based on what actual parents are telling me...I wonder if these "experts" really have kids, or if they just study them from a distance or something...hmmm...

Old 06-11-2007, 05:38 PM

Location: Boonies of Georgia ~~~~ nuttier than a squirrel turd !
1,950 posts, read 5,158,550 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by irishmom View Post
Once they walk and talk, you can't sit them down or shut them up !

I wouldn't worry too much. Every child progresses differently. Have you talk to your Dr. about this.

Old 06-11-2007, 05:41 PM

Location: Boonies of Georgia ~~~~ nuttier than a squirrel turd !
1,950 posts, read 5,158,550 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MsB23 View Post
I've got a question for y'all...

The thing with him (& I saw this with him when he was learning to crawl & walk) is that he doesn't do things unless he sees a good reason why he should.
LOL sounds like a man in the making !
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting