Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-28-2010, 07:53 AM

2 posts, read 4,705 times

Advertisements

I recently got into a relationship with a woman from Puerto Rico. Her primary language is spanish as is her daughters. They moved up here to the US and live with me in the midwest. Her daughter came too who is 18 years old. My issues are the parenting style and lack of discipline and follow thru by the mother. I have stressed to both of them that then need to continue to learn and practice english as language is everything here for securing higher end employment. It seems I get a lot of agreement, but all they do is talk spanish to each other. The daughter took an ESL (english second language) classes and was never serious, did not study, and failed them all by the test scores. She does not have a drivers permit either and says she is looking for a job but is too relaxed with it and basically nothing is happening there too. Neither one work and the daughter tends to sleep until noon everyday and the mother is okay with that. Her daughter's daily routine is to wake up around noon, get on the computer and facebook, internet surfing, calling friends and that is about it. I work full time for many years and am accustomed to getting up early and have a good work eithic and try to advance myself. It really bothers me that their ideas about life are basically to just relax and every thing in life kind of comes to you. I have had many conversations with the mother about it, and she has a real problem communicating when there is a conflict like this and shuts down and does not want to talk for a day or so. She might yell at her daughter to study, but does not follow thru. I could go on and on, but I am soliciting advice on how to proceed. I do love the mother, but something in my house needs to change soon. It has been 2 years not and I am not here just to support them so they can hang out all day.

Old 04-28-2010, 07:58 AM

758 posts, read 1,872,220 times
They are the way they are and if it hasn't changed in two years then I would venture to say it will get no better, probably worse.

You need to decide if this is the way you want to live, if not then it's probably best to get out before much more time elapses.

Old 04-28-2010, 08:01 AM

758 posts, read 1,872,220 times
I see that the title says wife but in the post he says he recently got into a relationship with her. Are you married to her or not?

Old 04-28-2010, 08:02 AM

43,011 posts, read 108,049,575 times
I doubt she'll change. Sounds like she considers you a free ride.

Maybe the threat of divorce will inspire her to learn English and get a job.

If not, I wouldn't waste any more time in the marriage.

Last edited by Hopes; 04-28-2010 at 08:21 AM..

Old 04-28-2010, 08:06 AM

2,884 posts, read 5,932,095 times
Stop providing privileges. If the daughter isn't working, she can't be on your computer. If they refuse to provide their portion of the necessities, you refuse to provide any of the luxuries. Call it frugality. You are happy to meet all their basic needs, but the luxuries are up to them.

Old 04-28-2010, 08:06 AM

494 posts, read 890,474 times
Yeah well she's Puerto Rican so she doesn't need him in order to stay in the USA. :: But apparently someone told you that since you edited your post.

Old 04-28-2010, 08:12 AM

8,309 posts, read 38,779,335 times
Just one man's opinion:

I've seen a lot of people who looked completely lost, clueless and without direction or discipline at 18 or at 22 turn things around and start "doing it right". A kid who is closer to thirty than to legal drinking age is less likely to get the ball rolling in the right direction and that likelihood becomes more and more remote as time passes.

It occurs to me that you are not this girl's father (nor, I assume, are you the mother's husband) and you are not acting as though you really have a huge problem with propping both of them up. If you did you would just pull the props. I don't get the sense that the mother believes this is a real possibility.

I'm not trying to be an ass, but it sounds like you have, indeed, been trained to support them so that they may hang out all day. You obviously do not want to kick them to the curb, but you do seem to want to supply internet, computer access, cable TV, privacy, and, I'm assuming, vehicles and walking around money. Why would anyone change if they have everything they want? You're holding the cards. The internet-at-large can't fix this for you.

Old 04-28-2010, 08:20 AM

43,011 posts, read 108,049,575 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Occam's Bikini Wax View Post
Yeah well she's Puerto Rican so she doesn't need him in order to stay in the USA. :: But apparently someone told you that since you edited your post.
I googled it silly!

Old 04-28-2010, 08:31 AM

2 posts, read 4,705 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skahar View Post
I see that the title says wife but in the post he says he recently got into a relationship with her. Are you married to her or not?
Sorry. I use the term wife to loosely. She is a girl friend at this point.

Old 04-28-2010, 08:39 AM

1,780 posts, read 3,931,766 times
Y'all are missing the basic problem: OP is trying to change the behavior of other adults, who can make their own decisions. Your first responder said it well: They are who they are.

I'm pretty sure the girlfriend didn't say to herself: "I'll get into a relationship with a man and let him change me into what he likes."

She's either a good match for you or she isn't. Stop kidding yourself! :-p
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting