Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-29-2010, 09:28 AM

36,499 posts, read 53,766,574 times

Advertisements

Has anybody else had this problem? One of my daughters simply will not use toilet paper. Otherwise she is careful to show me when her nails need cutting, washes her own face before school and cares about clean clothes. But her underwear is stained and I have tried everything.

She has lost privleges, I've made her hand wash her soiled underwear but nothing works. I know she is in a hurry to get back to playing or whatever she was doing but at this age she should automatically be using toilet paper after every trip to the bathroom. She remembers to wash her hands every time but this other problem is driving me crazy.

Any suggestions?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-29-2010, 09:34 AM

2,839 posts, read 9,953,621 times
Are you sure that she is not using and simply not wiping well enough? Or is she maybe in a cycle where she does not wipe well, so everything down there gets red and irritated, then it hurts to wipe, so she doesn't? Has she never used TP, or is this something new?

Have you tried buying her those Kan-Doo wipes? My DD likes those... Or maybe give her one of those peri bottles that they give you after you have a baby to use to rinse herself off? Maybe a sticker chart on the bathroom door that she has to check off each time she uses the bathroom?

Good luck! I'm sure this too shall pass, but it sounds like a frustrating problem!

Old 04-29-2010, 01:38 PM

5,244 posts, read 4,695,759 times
Yikes...does it irritate her to use regular paper? Oh, and I have also seen at school that the paper is hard to get off, too tight on the roll so maybe she just gives up.

I buy the paper with lotion in it for my girl because regular paper is harsh on her. HAve her take some to school in a small purse if need be (explain to teacher that this is needed for her sensitivities.) Try that, maybe...good luck.

Old 04-29-2010, 02:51 PM

1,207 posts, read 2,912,011 times
My son who is 6 refuses to use toilet paper either. He insist on baby wipes.. Its gotten to the point where he makes such a mess wetting toilet tissue. I am not clear if she wipes at all or just doesnt like the tissue.. Pack her a few wipes in a case so she take to school.

Old 04-29-2010, 03:18 PM

43,011 posts, read 107,590,543 times
Some cheaper toilet paper is really rough.

For years, I always bought Scott Soft because it was super affordable----lots of long lasting toilet paper.

One day, my son told me that he was getting sore back there from the toilet paper.

I upgraded to a more expensive toilet paper.

I guess there's just some things we shouldn't be cheap about.

Even I'm enjoying it more.

Old 04-29-2010, 03:28 PM

4,796 posts, read 22,833,498 times
Seems like the place to start would be to ask her why she doesn't want to use toilet paper.

Maybe its irritating. Maybe she's having trouble with coordination. Maybe she heard some bizarre playground story about how toilet paper attracts the monsters under the bed.

Given that she seems conscientious about other hygiene matters, it doesn't sound like punishment/loss of privileges will change her behavior. If anything it might make it worse.

Old 04-30-2010, 05:30 AM

36,499 posts, read 53,766,574 times
I had thought about baby wipes but I'm afraid of plumbing issues. Up till a year ago we were in a house with septic system for 25 years and you have to be so careful about what goes down the toilet.

Thanks to all for the ideas.

I always buy the softest tissues and she always waits till she gets home to do her business so that isn't the issue. She said she just doesn't want to deal with it, that she might get her hands dirty. I told her that is why we always wash our hands after using the bathroom. We will work on it and I'm sure she will come around. She is excited about using the baby wipes but I told her only one.

Anybody have plumbing problems with flushing baby wipes?

Old 04-30-2010, 07:46 AM

2,839 posts, read 9,953,621 times
Don't use regular baby wipes; those will clog your pipes/septic system! Buy the flushable toddler wipes... one brand is Kan Doo, but there are others as well. Good luck!

Old 05-26-2010, 09:44 PM

3,872 posts, read 8,684,052 times
OP, same problem, same age, same gender!!! It's driving me CRAZY. I even threatened w/ getting pull ups. I got some free online and made her wear them around the house one weekend. That worked for almost 6 months - she wiped and all was good. Just recently she's stopped again. ugh.

Old 05-27-2010, 01:57 AM

3,644 posts, read 10,904,655 times
There was a thread on the "flushable wipes" thing recently... "flushable" is no different from the regular baby wipes, except that they are smaller.

As I do not like TP either anymore, since researching the whole wipes issue, I bought a CHEAP brand of sandwich sized "Ziplocs" and a trashcan with a good lid on it. Works well, and after reading the horror stories online of what is happening to sewer systems because of the "flushable" wipes, I'm really glad we're on septic now!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting