Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-29-2010, 06:24 PM

29,391 posts, read 55,596,323 times

Advertisements

How does one handle meal times with a 2-year-old who looks at what adults are eating and wants it, for example Romaine lettuce with 4-inch chunks of raw carrots? Are adults supposed to say,"We are all sitting down together at family mealtime but you can't have what we are eating"? Or give them the huge carrot and let them choke?

How do I handle a toddler who wants grown-up food? - CNN.com
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-29-2010, 06:26 PM

24,873 posts, read 36,171,415 times
cut it into smaller pieces. I didn't read the article.

Old 04-29-2010, 06:53 PM

43,011 posts, read 108,049,575 times
I didn't read the article either. I started feeding my child adult food at 6 months old. It's totally not a big deal.

I can't understand why some parents don't have common sense and need to ask silly questions like that. Just cut up the carrot!

Old 04-29-2010, 06:55 PM

177 posts, read 471,227 times
NO NO NO NO NO. allow them to try very small portions. limit them completely. i suggest starting them on "grown up" food such as a diet. ive seen WAY too many kids start out like this early and they end up being overweight by 10-15 lbs by age 7. dont want to see you in that position because its HARD to teach a 7year old to eat healthy-they begin to tantrum

Old 04-29-2010, 07:27 PM

11,642 posts, read 23,909,503 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by John1960 View Post
How does one handle meal times with a 2-year-old who looks at what adults are eating and wants it, for example Romaine lettuce with 4-inch chunks of raw carrots? Are adults supposed to say,"We are all sitting down together at family mealtime but you can't have what we are eating"? Or give them the huge carrot and let them choke?

How do I handle a toddler who wants grown-up food? - CNN.com
Just cut it up into smaller pieces. Why is this an issue?

Old 04-29-2010, 07:45 PM

1,429 posts, read 4,283,080 times
heck, I had this hand grinder for my son. "toddler" foods are just a marketing ploy to keep making parents buy their product.... about the same as pull ups for kids over 3 (except where medically needed)

Old 04-29-2010, 07:47 PM

1,988 posts, read 5,385,202 times
Just cut it into pieces and enjoy it while it lasts. With a lot of that age it will soon become a battle to get them to eat anything healthy.

That reminds me of the time my daughter (just turned 3 at the time) was watching her dad eat a really super spicy taco. She asked for some. He said no, that it was too spicy hot. She kept persisting vehemently. So he finally said "ok but you might not like this".... and let her have a bite. To her credit, she didn't cry - just got real big-eyed and gulped the glass of milk I had ready for her. And now she knows what we mean when we say something is spicy.

Old 04-29-2010, 08:49 PM

2,839 posts, read 9,983,568 times
We fed our kids the same thing we were eating since they were old enough to chew real food! (We did not give them big chunks of raw carrots, of course, we chopped it up very small or simply left chokable foods off of their portions.) Feeding small children "real food" reduces the chance that you will end up with a six-year-old who will only eat chicken nuggets and peanut butter and jelly. My kids eat EVERYTHING, including "yucky" foods like asparagus, spinach, and fish. My seven-year-old daughter helped me make chicken florentine the other night, and ate two whole pieces herself! We almost never made some special "kid food" for the children, unless DH and I were going out on a date night or something.

Old 04-29-2010, 10:01 PM

4,796 posts, read 22,906,689 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mistermister View Post
NO NO NO NO NO. allow them to try very small portions. limit them completely. i suggest starting them on "grown up" food such as a diet. ive seen WAY too many kids start out like this early and they end up being overweight by 10-15 lbs by age 7. dont want to see you in that position because its HARD to teach a 7year old to eat healthy-they begin to tantrum
WTF? The article is about a kid wanting to eat lettuce and carrots. This isn't a kid that will need to learn healthy eating at age 7.

Old 04-29-2010, 11:21 PM

55 posts, read 210,060 times
My daughter has been eating "adult" food since she was 6 months old. She refused to eat baby food, so her pediatrician advised feeding her whatever we were eating, just making sure that it was small enough that she wouldn't choke on it. My 2 year old son eats raw carrots all the time and doesn't choke on them. As soon as they have some molars they can eat things like that. If you're still worried about him choking, use a cheese grater and grate his carrot over some lettuce. You're lucky yours wants salad, my son won't even try anything that looks like lettuce.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting