Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-03-2010, 07:30 PM

546 posts, read 2,203,902 times

Advertisements

hi, do any of you know if the generic brand is ok for the equavalant type of recalled medicine, such as the generic brands for motrin?

do u know if we are allowed to return them to costco where I got mines from if we already used half a bottle?

do any of you worry that has already been given to a child for years? I know they say it won't be an issue for this case, but still, this was recommended by all doctors to use, and now they are all being recalled. very worrysome.

any thoughts to share? thank you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-03-2010, 07:37 PM

705 posts, read 1,759,236 times
All meds have a number you can check against the recalled numbers. I did that for my generics, just to be safe, although for one of them it was clear it was manufactured in a different place. I have no idea if anywhere is accepting returns; I have 3 bottles of meds that are affected.

MCNEIL PRODUCT RECALL

This link has info about getting a coupon or refund, and you can click through to where to put in your lot #s to check the meds.

Old 05-03-2010, 07:48 PM

24,873 posts, read 36,164,079 times
I'm not sure what to think. I have 3 half empty bottles in front of me that are included in the recall. My kids apparently haven't had any adverse effects. I tend not to be alarmist about things. My husband just said he thinks we should keep it and use it only if one of the kids really needs it, since I guess all of these aren't available in stores right now. I'll probably hang on to it and wait for more info, or wait until it is available in stores again, then get rid of it.

Old 05-04-2010, 02:51 PM

14,780 posts, read 43,682,136 times
My wife went through all the meds the other night when we heard. We used the recall site and applied for the replacement coupons. Our big issue was the Zyrtec since my son has asthma and his allergies really affect him this time of year. We found out that none of the generic drugs of any of the types recalled is affected. So, in our case we were able to switch from "Zyrtec" to "cetirizine" and picked up the drug store labeled one.

None of my 3 kids that had taken the recalled medicine had ever experienced any issues with it, but it is better to be safe than sorry. In an emergency and if it was all I had I wouldn't hesitate to give my kid one of the medicines, but better to replace it.

Old 05-04-2010, 03:04 PM

6,066 posts, read 15,046,326 times
We had a Children's Tylenol that we had to toss. Our son had taken a few doses of it a few months ago. Are they saying exactly why they are recalling it? I've been trying to find out but it's like they aren't giving a clear answer.

Old 05-04-2010, 03:33 PM

705 posts, read 1,759,236 times
My understanding is that the recall is because 1) there could be particles of something in the meds 2) the active ingredients might not be at the right concentration (too weak), and then I think there was a 3, maybe the inactive ingredients weren't right either.

We threw ours away, and applied for the coupon/refund on the site. I bought a generic of the motrin today to restock. Luckily we had the costco brand of Zyrtec; that isn't affected.

Old 05-04-2010, 03:47 PM

16,066 posts, read 21,138,178 times
Mc Neil is asking consumers to contact them directly. Our retail store is not accepting returns of these products, we have been told to refer our customers to the Mc Neil hotline or website.
Generics/store brands are not a part of the recall.

It's supposed to be because of quality control issues, not so much safety concerns. As in "oops we put in 2 drops of grape flavoring instead of 3, this no longer meets our standards" or something similar. Usually when we have a recall because of safety issues our recall letters state that fact, it doesn't seem to worded that way in this instance. I've seen recall s for metal shavings, ground glass, wrongly stated ingredients, etc. This one doesn't give a specific reason like that.
When the first recall went out on the adult products, several months ago, the rumor was that some of the product had a funny smell, so practically all the adult products were recalled. I guess they want to make sure they cover their backsides and just recall everything now.

Personally, if it were me and I'd used a half bottle with no adverse affects I'd finish the rest of the bottle. If I had an unopened bottle in the medicine cabinet I would probably swap it out for a store brand.

Old 05-06-2010, 11:20 AM

6,066 posts, read 15,046,326 times
So now they are saying it was a bacteria issue. I don't see where it mentions the bacteria found in the products on the FDA site, but several media sources are reporting that as the reason.

MCNEIL PRODUCT RECALL

Tylenol recall: FDA found bacteria in ingredients - CSMonitor.com

McNeil Recalls Infant and Children’s Liquid Products Including Tylenol and Motrin

FDA: Drug maker McNeil knew of contamination - USATODAY.com

Old 05-06-2010, 01:02 PM

4,502 posts, read 13,468,962 times
I had 3 bottles of Tylenol --- 2 opened/used, 1 brand new -- and a 1/2 full bottle of Motrin. I brought them to WalMart yesterday and they took them and gave me a store gift card for the full price of all the items.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting