Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-05-2010, 10:20 AM

177 posts, read 471,227 times

Advertisements

i agree with KH02. meet in a public place. people are less prone to treat you badly if you arent on their private property. if they dont like it, do the project on your own and get your grade. inform your professor,intstructor, whatever about what is going on. the girls parents cant force you to come over there. nor can they overstep school regulation or work. the work must be done.

what if your partner's parents were registered sex offenders with history of abuse of 20 year old females? would you be obligated to go then?

noone can control you except you.

also i would try doing a webcam of some sort.

basically the parent wants to be present to make sure you all dont get to talking about her and her husband. to make you "stay focused" on your work.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-05-2010, 01:20 PM

486 posts, read 1,665,863 times
Totally agree with Hopes here... Don't go!

Your mom should let you use the car if you do go... or you should meet in a public place (without the mom).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopes View Post
I don't think you should go. You should NOT be required to go to a house where you reported abuse.

If a program adviser got you into this mess by reporting it, the program should make accommodations for the fact that your partner can't work on the project with you.

If the adviser isn't involved in the program, you need to talk to the instructor. Her parents are the ones who are making it impossible for this project to be done, not you.

Stand your ground and have your program make accommodations for you to get this project done.

After all, your program is through the police department, and no police officer should make you go to a house where you reported abuse!

Old 05-05-2010, 01:38 PM

3,422 posts, read 10,904,348 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopes View Post
I don't think you should go. You should NOT be required to go to a house where you reported abuse.

If a program adviser got you into this mess by reporting it, the program should make accommodations for the fact that your partner can't work on the project with you.
absolutely excellent point

Old 05-05-2010, 05:42 PM

3,422 posts, read 10,904,348 times
She is a junior cop or whatever its called. There is some program she is in before she goes to the police academy next year. There is only one other girl in the program with her. I am pretty sure this is what this thread refers to.

I only remember this b/c there were some dramatic threads regarding her home life earlier this year that I recall reading.

Old 05-05-2010, 05:46 PM

45,217 posts, read 100,729,092 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lisdol View Post
She is a junior cop or whatever its called. There is some program she is in before she goes to the police academy next year. There is only one other girl in the program with her. I am pretty sure this is what this thread refers to.

I only remember this b/c there were some dramatic threads regarding her home life earlier this year that I recall reading.
That was my impression as well - though be careful, you'll be accused of making assumptions

Old 05-05-2010, 06:29 PM

4,502 posts, read 13,470,736 times
Do NOT go to their house!! You have no idea what they're thinking or planning.

If I were you, I would meet at a neutral place such as the library. If her mom wants to come supervise, then fine, let her sit there and supervise.

If they refuse, do your own project and tell the program coordinator what happened.

Old 05-05-2010, 06:36 PM

17,573 posts, read 46,144,871 times
Do not go. Simple as that. No way it is worth putting yourself in danger .

Old 05-05-2010, 07:32 PM

6,190 posts, read 7,972,786 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NCyank View Post
I agree, don't go.
What kind of 'program' are you in? I'm guessing it isn't a program for model citizens...maybe something court mandated???

This sounds like a very unhealthy situation over all.
Are you in any sort of position to be a role model to this girl? Yes
Are you in any position to give counsel or advice to her? Yes
Are you in any position to be repeating to your mom what she has told you, presumably in confidence? I was asking my mom for advice and yes some of the things worried me, so I felt it necessary to go to someone who could better help me.
Are you in any position to know what is really going on in her home and life? She confided in me as an outside source, she was coming to me for help.
Its an explorer post, meaning yes I am a "junior cop".
She told me all this stuff and I said it back to my mom.
When the officer(my supervisor) was at my house, my MOM told him everything, I wasn't even going to say anything about it to the police because I had already made a report to CPS.

Quote:
Originally Posted by maciesmom View Post
I have to agree with Hopes on this. I find it odd and inappropriate that a police officer would put her in that position. Something about that is off.
Our explorer post supervisor(the officer who was at my house) is NOT the one who gave us the project.
We were in explorer academy since January and the academy adviser was the one who gave us the project to do. He gave us the project before the reporting incident happened. The academy is SEPARATE from our explorer as it is run by another department. So they had no idea this was happening. Her mom wouldn't let her do it anywhere else but HER house, so her mom could be around.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marlow View Post
Don't go. It's that simple. Either meet in a public place or forget about it.

You say you have to go. Why? What kind of program is it?

Explain what's going on to the person in charge and tell them you're not going over there.
We HAVE to do the project because we were assigned to make a trophy for the academy out of a belt buckle that broke on team building day.
The trophy is due tomorrow.

Its an explorers program.

Old 05-05-2010, 09:12 PM

687 posts, read 1,119,567 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by txtqueen View Post
Its an explorer post, meaning yes I am a "junior cop".
She told me all this stuff and I said it back to my mom.
When the officer(my supervisor) was at my house, my MOM told him everything, I wasn't even going to say anything about it to the police because I had already made a report to CPS.

Our explorer post supervisor(the officer who was at my house) is NOT the one who gave us the project.
We were in explorer academy since January and the academy adviser was the one who gave us the project to do. He gave us the project before the reporting incident happened. The academy is SEPARATE from our explorer as it is run by another department. So they had no idea this was happening. Her mom wouldn't let her do it anywhere else but HER house, so her mom could be around.

We HAVE to do the project because we were assigned to make a trophy for the academy out of a belt buckle that broke on team building day.

Its an explorers program.
How about you bring someone else along if you are really worried? I have a feeling nothing will happen in front of you. Doubt the mom would have let you come over at all if that was the case. Could be wrong but I think keeping your wits about you and not panicking is most important. Let us know how things go but I'm getting the feeling it will be fine in the end.

Old 05-06-2010, 06:04 AM

43,011 posts, read 108,049,575 times
Quote:
Then you should inform them about what is happening. If you're planning to be a police officer, you should learn to stick up for yourself. No police officer, adviser, or supervisor of a police program would expect a student to go into a house where they reported abuse. You're not trained. You're not armed. It's just downright insane. And you have a responsibility to make sure this doesn't escalate into a police emergency by avoiding the situation entirely.

Quote:
I guess this is all a mute point. It's due today. That means you went to her house yesterday. I guess it all worked out. Next time, speak up for yourself. Don't ever put yourself in a dangerous situation until you are an officially trained and badged police officer.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting