Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-15-2010, 02:00 AM

14,100 posts, read 28,524,892 times

Advertisements

Next time you get in the vehicle with your young kids, think about the day they start to drive a car. Think about how you expect them to drive. Then you begin to drive the way you expect your children to drive. If they see you regularly rolling through stop signs, not using turn signals, slamming on brakes at last minute, getting angry and impatient, frequently driving over the speed limit, cutting off other drivers, and multi-tasking while driving then that's how your children will drive,...only worse because teenagers will push the limits and if you drive in such a way then you've set the limits pretty high. Teach by example. You don't want them cursing, don't curse. You don't want them drinking or using drugs, don't drink or use drugs.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-15-2010, 04:19 AM

6,190 posts, read 7,971,228 times
That's good but you have to teach them that things happen with age.
I drink but when I have kids and they are 13/14 of course I won't want them drinking but does that mean that I won't drink, no it means I will teach them that certain privileges come with age.

Would you give the same rules to a 15 year old that you would give a 10 year old? No, of course not.

Old 05-15-2010, 04:26 AM

14,100 posts, read 28,524,892 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by txtqueen View Post
That's good but you have to teach them that things happen with age.
I drink but when I have kids and they are 13/14 of course I won't want them drinking but does that mean that I won't drink, no it means I will teach them that certain privileges come with age.

Would you give the same rules to a 15 year old that you would give a 10 year old? No, of course not.
Don't set rules by age, set them by level of knowledge, maturity, and responsible nature. I've known some mature and responsible 11 year old kids who make some 15 or 16 year olds look like babies. All depends on how they matured and how responsible they are. What I probably should have said was not get drunk around the kids. I never saw my parents drunk but I did see them drink.

Old 05-15-2010, 05:18 AM

20,793 posts, read 61,297,575 times
While I agree to a point about showing kids how to drive properly, I think that your example of not drinking promotes kids that don't drink is off base. What we CAN show our kids is that ADULTS of LEGAL AGE, can have a drink or two and be responsible (not drinking and driving and not getting drunk every time they have a drink).

I have 3 teenagers, one, a senior in high school and 2 freshmen (who take their driver's permit tests on Monday as a matter of fact). None of them drink, nor have they attended parties where drinking is involved--and YES, I can say that with authority only because our oldest is not very social and most of his socializing happens at our house. Our twins can't drive yet so everywhere they go, we take them. I am under no delusions that when our oldest goes off to college in the fall that he won't drink or attend parties where alcohol is served. We have had many talks about this topic already and basically have said that he is underage but if he chooses to drink, be smart about it.

For the past several years when situations arise while driving, I have pointed them out to the kids and talked about what to do. Very often it is a car coming to an intersection that you just KNOW is going to pull out in front of you and how to judge those types of situations.

Old 05-15-2010, 10:04 AM

1,988 posts, read 5,384,295 times
I'm with you on the driving thing. I take it a step further and point out why we have these rules (like stopping and looking both ways before turning right on red to check for pedestrians). So now I have a 4 year old back seat driver that could probably pass the written driving test (once she learns to read better). lol

Old 05-15-2010, 03:17 PM

2,605 posts, read 4,692,355 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eresh View Post
I'm with you on the driving thing. I take it a step further and point out why we have these rules (like stopping and looking both ways before turning right on red to check for pedestrians). So now I have a 4 year old back seat driver that could probably pass the written driving test (once she learns to read better). lol
I've always done the same thing. I ask, 'Do you know why this is against the law?', and bring to her attention things that are laws.

Last evening we were driving into town during rush hour. We were stopped at a light and a police car went by going in the opposite direction. The guy was talking on a cell phone. My daughter brought it to my attention that since it is common sense to not talk on a cell while driving, that officer must be pretty ignorant. She wrote his plate number down and I called when we got back home to report him.

We talk about yielding, light, changing lanes, all kinds of things. The only thing I don't understand is why she isn't interested in driving at all. She's 16 and has no desire to drive. She says that when she wants to, she will.

Old 05-16-2010, 04:24 AM

20,793 posts, read 61,297,575 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoExcuses View Post
I've always done the same thing. I ask, 'Do you know why this is against the law?', and bring to her attention things that are laws.

Last evening we were driving into town during rush hour. We were stopped at a light and a police car went by going in the opposite direction. The guy was talking on a cell phone. My daughter brought it to my attention that since it is common sense to not talk on a cell while driving, that officer must be pretty ignorant. She wrote his plate number down and I called when we got back home to report him.

We talk about yielding, light, changing lanes, all kinds of things. The only thing I don't understand is why she isn't interested in driving at all. She's 16 and has no desire to drive. She says that when she wants to, she will.
This is getting more and more common. Most of my DS17's friends don't drive yet. My theory is that we drive them around too much. When we were kids we walked or rode our bikes most of the time so by the time we turned 16 we were more than ready to drive. My 17 year old probably wouldn't have his license if he hadn't HAD to get it (he it taking a class at another high school in our district and has to drive himself back and forth). Our twins take their permit tests tomorrow. Our DD CAN'T WAIT but out son isn't all that excited. Once they actually start driving and get their license and learn what it really is about, they tend to want to drive more.

Old 05-16-2010, 08:27 AM

2,605 posts, read 4,692,355 times
^^I agree. Back when I turned 16, getting a license to drive was a rite of passage. Besides that, we lived in a rural area. Our high school was even way out in the country and miles from our house. My mother was more than happy for us to drive, and I was more than happy to be able to, until I discovered I would be the one to run into town to get milk and the Sunday paper every week.

It seems odd that so many kids aren't in a hurry to drive, yet cars are so freely given by parents to teen drivers. Mine would have to earn hers, but in a lot of families kids are given cars automatically.

And I do agree that it's just easier for parents to drive everywhere for the teens. Easier for the teen, that is. Here they have to take a test, pass it and get a permit, take Driver's Ed., pass another test and get a restricted Jr. license with no other minor allowed in the car unless there is an adult in the car as well, then finally at 17, a real driver's license. With the Junior license there are also restrictions on nighttime driving and other restrictions.

Years ago it was; take Driver's Ed. at 15 and at the end, get a permit to drive with a parent, then at 16, take the paper test and drive with a police officer and get a real license. It was easy.

Old 05-16-2010, 09:26 AM

897 posts, read 2,454,870 times
most kids here get license when they turn 16drivers ed isn't required but most take it b/c of the insurance discount- I got my D a used car-

Old 05-16-2010, 05:30 PM

6,190 posts, read 7,971,228 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoExcuses View Post

Wait you reported the officer?

Now, is it even illegal to talk on the phone while driving in your state? Because it isn't in my state. Here if you are 18+ you can talk on the cellphone while drive, but no age is allowed to text and drive. They are different rules and regulations for police officers on duty.
Police officers not only have their personal cell phones in the car which a lot leave in their duty bag but they have a "nextel" which is a business phone for the police to call each other and share information etc that cannot be and is NOT allowed to be said over the air, it also used to call judges, for sergeants to speak directly with a their officers and in case the radios go down or the air is held for an emergency.

So generally officers don't just chit chat away on their phones, he could have been talking to his sergeant etc.

And officers also have laptops in their cars which they use to message each other and dispatch, civilians are not allowed to do so.

I know you were trying to do the right thing but I think you went too far because there are exceptions for officers on duty.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting