Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-26-2010, 12:02 PM

6,151 posts, read 10,022,564 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gpsma View Post
Having more than 2 children is environmentally selfish.
Do you seriously live in the suburbs?!

Quote:
Originally Posted by I_Love_LI_but View Post
They are not lying per se. They most likely cope by using the older children as unpaid labor.
No, no - IT'S A CONSPIRACY!

Old 05-26-2010, 12:04 PM

939 posts, read 2,310,628 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeyKid View Post

Parents with 3 children realize how exponential it becomes when they have to initiate a zone defense. They can't play man-to-man anymore.
ahahahahahaah

Old 05-26-2010, 12:14 PM

3,686 posts, read 8,702,873 times
Quote:
Do you seriously live in the suburbs?!

As far as I can recall, Long Island is still considered a suburb. So the answer is yes. Any other questions?

Old 05-26-2010, 12:17 PM

6,151 posts, read 10,022,564 times
Quote:
As far as I can recall, Long Island is still considered a suburb. So the answer is yes. Any other questions?
I was just wondering because my idea of the suburbs is where you go to raise children... Which means you'll end up surrounded by people who all have children. Who invariably will have kids that don't act according to your expectations.

It just seems your whole outlook is more suited to an urban environment. Unless like I said earlier, things are changing that drastically on LI.

Old 05-26-2010, 12:18 PM

1,917 posts, read 5,343,094 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Avienne View Post
It was. Everyone had a great time. In fact, a few said it was among the most fun they'd ever attended. Any other astute commentary today?

They complained about how boring it was on the ride home. Most people, when asked by the bride "How was my wedding?" don't respond, "It sucked".
I'm sure many had to leave early to get home to their children. This is a great way to get out of a boring event. "Gotta go-kids".
See? Kids aren't totally worthless.

Old 05-26-2010, 12:21 PM

16,408 posts, read 33,292,576 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigMike50 View Post
Sounds like you don't have any children
Your experiences are always with other people kids ie nieces and nephews.
You want bigger class sizes when most people with children want smaller.
Teachers make way too much, etc
Thank you, detective!

Old 05-26-2010, 12:23 PM

16,966 posts, read 34,702,389 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Port North View Post

Children belong at weddings, weddings are family events. The same goes for wakes and funerals. They need to see the family's traditions for all parts of life. That is called culture, I know there isn't much of it on Long Island, so you probably couldn't understand.
Not all weddings I have been invited to are for family. My children have been invited to family weddings, but not to the weddings of HS and college friends. I was not offended in the least. These were people I partied with before I was a parent. I would never think of being miffed and asking to bring my kids along. Heck, I want some fun time for mommy, too! I don't mind hiring a sitter at all.

Quote:

I haven't taken them to any concerts because I know it would be too much for them at their age. When they are older (over 10) I would consider taking them it if it is someone they really wanted to see. I went to concerts with my parents when I was a kid (probably from 8 or 9) and throughly enjoyed them.

I do see parents bring kids to concerts and I won't judge them because every family situation is different.
My youngest was 7 when she saw her first Broadway show, Spamalot. She laughed at the parts she understood, had some fly over her head. She sat in her seat mesmerized by the music and movement. The twit adult behind me who snuck in a noisy plastic bag of snacks should have taken an example from my daughter.

This year has been the year of the Disney concerts. Miley Cyrus, Jonas Brothers... The little one (10) is having a ball, though. She's also looking forward to seeing Roger Waters this fall.

I started the kids on age-appropriate local theater and movies, where I was able to teach them proper audience behavior. Dining out was the same. It really doesn't take much to teach a child how to behave in a restaurant. And should that child decide to act up, it doesn't take much to whisk them right out of there out of consideration for the other diners.

Old 05-26-2010, 12:29 PM

8,679 posts, read 15,263,675 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scottzilla View Post
They complained about how boring it was on the ride home. Most people, when asked by the bride "How was my wedding?" don't respond, "It sucked".
I'm sure many had to leave early to get home to their children. This is a great way to get out of a boring event. "Gotta go-kids".
See? Kids aren't totally worthless.
Maybe your wife was tacky enough to go around soliciting feedback for your wedding, but my mother raised me better than that. And no, no one went home early.

But keep trying. You clearly have nothing better to do with your day than try to bring people down. It says a lot about you, actually, all of it disappointing. I didn't figure you for a troll, but hey, on the Internet, no one knows you're a dog. One can only imagine what your kids are like with you as their model.

Old 05-26-2010, 12:29 PM

16,966 posts, read 34,702,389 times
Quote:
You can't "know" what's it like to be a parent without actually being one... Sorry to break the babysitter or "very involved" aunt/uncle analogy. You THINK you know - but really? come on

Parents with 1 child are like the minor leagues, but they don't realize it until they have another.

Parents with 2 children are shocked that it's more then double the work.

Parents with 3 children realize how exponential it becomes when they have to initiate a zone defense. They can't play man-to-man anymore.

Parents with 4+ children LIE to the parents with 3 children trying to convince them "after 3 it makes no difference".
Are you sure their lying to the parents with 3 children, or lying to themselves in order to cope?

Old 05-26-2010, 12:34 PM

1,199 posts, read 2,868,368 times
Quote:
Having more than 2 children is environmentally selfish.
Not true, if you know anything about demographics you would know that it takes an average of 2.1 children per women to replace a population. Since near 20% of women have no children (and among certain groups this is much higher) there can be a sizable percentage of women who can have 3 or more children without getting the average over 2.1. By the way the U.S. average is 2.05 or so, our birth rates are not too high.

Would you rather we be like Europe which is on its demographic deathbed?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting