Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-01-2010, 04:27 PM

1,214 posts, read 3,643,604 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottzilla View Post
PARENTS deal with this all the time. THEY have the burden
Parents do deal with flat tires all the time (interesting analogy you picked) - their kids. The kids are their flat tires who need special attention from THEIR PARENTS. It's up to their parents to keep them under control and from annoying other people. If you didn't have kids you'd probably be the first to complain about other people's abominably behaved little monsters.

Old 07-01-2010, 04:30 PM

8,679 posts, read 15,267,934 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeyKid View Post
This thread is so beyond awesome... "NAH NAH gonna tell the manager on you!" I'm crying so hard even thinking about a manager "having a talk with me" about my kids. It would be so awesome if that ever happened - too bad I haven't been that lucky yet.

... and some Mom with 7 cats is telling parents to "order ahead"?! rofl

Anyway, please continue on with your entertaining stories!!!
Well, Mikey, perhaps your kids don't act out or cause problems in public.

However, if they did, would you rather people talk to you directly?

Or perhaps you'd rather they shush your kid for you?

When I suggested those things way back, some of the more rabid parents here pitched hissies.

Parents can't have it both ways. It's their responsibility to ensure their kids' safety and to make sure that their kids' behavior is not disruptive to a business or dangerous to those around them. If parents won't live up to that responsibility, patrons are well within their rights to ask a manager to come over and request that the children be reined in accordingly. Believe it or not, kids running amok can be bad for business.

Old 07-01-2010, 04:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coney View Post
I also wanted to add/explain that the little girl did talk to other patrons in a cutesy way and no one seemed to mind. They probably enjoyed it and under normal circumstances, I would have enjoyed her company too. I love kids and enjoy goofing around with them. It was her mother who was not respectful. Also, if the little girl had accidentlally pushed into me while she was twirling/jumping, it would have been a very serious injury for me. The mother was not respectful of my request and implied that I was some kind of child hater.

You said the girl was running around.

That is not acceptable in a salon for the reasons I stated. And now I'm reading that the patrons there are often elderly. Great. Nothing like tripping over a running child and breaking a hip.

But hey, some day the kid will knock over a tray of bleach and lose her eyesight, and then the mother can sue the salon.

Perhaps that's the method to the madness.

Old 07-01-2010, 04:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by I_Love_LI_but View Post
Well ya know his name IS a derivative of Godzilla ... he must be big ...
Or have scaly skin and lizard breath.

Old 07-01-2010, 05:42 PM

11,635 posts, read 12,703,351 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Avienne View Post
You said the girl was running around.

That is not acceptable in a salon for the reasons I stated. And now I'm reading that the patrons there are often elderly. Great. Nothing like tripping over a running child and breaking a hip.

But hey, some day the kid will knock over a tray of bleach and lose her eyesight, and then the mother can sue the salon.

Perhaps that's the method to the madness.
Ya, that's very true.

Younger people have to make a living and go on the weekend. The grey/blue hair crowd come during the week.

The other observation that I have is seeing toddlers and preschoolers eating out in restaurants at 8, 9, or even 10 O'clock at night. Some of them must be tired and cranky which leads to whininess and the "heebie jeebies." When I was a kid, both of my parents were super strict about bedtime. Then again, my mother didn't walk in the door at 7PM after a full day at the office.

When my kid was little, I kept a small tote bag packed with "to-go" toys ready at all times. I kept toys in there which were designated "wait-time" toys that were not in the child's room. There were coloring books, neon colored paper, glitter crayons, some popup books. Since they were not played with all the time, they were novelties only used when we were out of the house or in the car. Later, the toddler puzzles were replaced with a HiQ set and travel versions of checkers, chinese checkers, backgammon, and cards. We also used to play old fashioned games like geography and ghost when we had to wait around for something, including food being served.

Old 07-01-2010, 06:13 PM

496 posts, read 1,251,263 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 7CatMom View Post
Hubby and I went out to dinner last night to celebrate his retirement. Nice small restaurant we have gone to for many years.

Well, there were two mothers there, one with three kids, the other with two. They were seated towards the back which was nice, and actually, they weren't loud or obnoxious at all.

But what I came to realize is that they got served pretty quickly. I bet the mothers called in their food choices ahead of time so the kids wouldn't have to sit there getting antsy while waiting! One table had small personal size pizzas and the other just some typical spaghetti dishes.

Now, if parents could do that, call ahead, I'd bet it would make for a much nicer experience for the family as well as the other restaurant patrons.
sure, wait, let me put that on my to do list. 'mkayy, call restaurant ahead of time, so that we can sit, speed-eat and get out of the restaurant.'

mmm...how's NO?

Old 07-01-2010, 06:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndreaII View Post
Parents do deal with flat tires all the time (interesting analogy you picked) - their kids. The kids are their flat tires who need special attention from THEIR PARENTS. It's up to their parents to keep them under control and from annoying other people. If you didn't have kids you'd probably be the first to complain about other people's abominably behaved little monsters.
have you considered NOT having children? there are lots of options, like tying tubes, getting a vasectomy etc.

Old 07-01-2010, 06:19 PM

Quote:

When I suggested those things way back, some of the more rabid parents here pitched hissies.

Parents can't have it both ways. It's their responsibility to ensure their kids' safety and to make sure that their kids' behavior is not disruptive to a business or dangerous to those around them. If parents won't live up to that responsibility, patrons are well within their rights to ask a manager to come over and request that the children be reined in accordingly. Believe it or not, kids running amok can be bad for business.
instead of offering 'options' for parents, how about an option for the one being 'annoyed' by children: leave. leave the establishment, leave the environment you're in, exit the restaurant. just GO.

Old 07-01-2010, 06:36 PM

6,151 posts, read 10,028,251 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by I_Love_LI_but View Post
Encourage your kids to act up and it can happen to you too!
Quote:

You guys know I'm just poking fun mostly... my kids won't act like any of these "horror" stories, but I will let them be KIDS. It's the whole "kids should be seen and not heard" attitude that I take offense to.

The whole "danger" thing is also pretty laughable. It's amazing that suddenly stores and restaurants became war zones or something... I mean seriously!

Old 07-01-2010, 07:22 PM

244 posts, read 540,344 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scottzilla View Post
Heres a good analogy: You have a flat tire, so you drive at 11 mph down the left lane of the LIE expecting everyone to look out for you. YOU'RE the one with the flat-everyone elses tires are just fine-but you expect everyone else to accomodate YOUR special needs (The flat tire).
When you have a flat tire, you get the hell out of everyone elses way. YOU pull over and make arrangements on how to proceede under this special circumstance. It's your burden, not every of driver on the road.

PARENTS deal with this all the time. THEY have the burden, and don't need people who feel "Special" making life difficult for them. They don't ask for your help but at the very least, expect YOU to act like a freaking adult (Not the little child you so despise).

Now who's the one with the sense of entitlement??
To continue the analogy, as a PARENT, I am PREPARED. I personally TAKE THE RESPONSIBILITY of having a FULL SPARE TIRE IN THE TRUNK, AND the wherewithall to CHANGE IT MYSELF, and not drive down the highway putting others at risk.

As an analogy, it's pretty lame. You are missing the point. YOU would be the person driving down the road with the flat tire, not I. Your screaming kids (the flat tire), that you would defend with fists (drive on the highway putting others at risk).

As I said previously somewhere in this thread or maybe another, there are those that will get it, and those that don't. You continue to prove that you do not get it by putting forth this analogy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting