Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-24-2010, 08:58 PM

43,011 posts, read 107,997,463 times

Advertisements

WARNING: This is a RANT!

My son's friend's parents hold him strictly accountable for his grades. That's cool because he works very hard at keeping his grades up so he can have privileges. Unfortunately, he struggles in English and risks failing that class since his grades for the last three quarters were B, F, F. He has a C right now, but he risks falling to an F very quickly for the fourth quarter. (I think he has a learning disability in the language arts in addition to his ADD.)

Last week, I was visiting at their house. He came out of his room and announced to us that he was having trouble reading To Kill A Mockingbird----couldn't understand any of it. I squealed that I loved the book. His parents asked me if I would help him. Of course, I willingly accepted and told his parents that I would buy the book---it has been 30 years since I read it. I bought the book on Saturday and finished it over the weekend.

He's chapters behind the rest of the class and they have already had some quizzes. When I got his work schedule for the week, tomorrow after school works best for me to help him study. BUT HIS FATHER says he can't study tomorrow because he has to chores. PLEASE! I would think that my schedule should matter. Afterall, I'm offering to help tutor their child! I CAN'T UNDERSTAND why chores would be more important than studying since they hold grades as the MOST IMPORTANT thing in the family. I'M SO FRUSTRATED!

Why do people put their children in lose/lose situations? The kid isn't going to get any help. He's 50 pages behind the class and doesn't understand anything. He failed one quiz and the teacher temporarily postponed his taking the next two quizzes until Wednesday (day after tomorrow). Tomorrow afternoon is the only time I have to help. He'll fail the class. And he'll be grounded for the entire summer. It almost seems like they want him to fail so they can ground him.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-24-2010, 09:12 PM

24,012 posts, read 28,443,002 times
Unfortunately, I think there are people out there that DO want their kids to fail. It's a way of keeping control. If he's grounded all summer they can deny him whatever they feel like without anything more than bringing up his English grade. So much easier than actually having to think about each thing a teen wants to do. Plus they can keep on making him feel stupid and worthless. It just amazes me that people have children then don't want them to succeed. Or feel that the most appropriate way to do this is to ingrain in them a feeling of worthlessness or inferiority. Very sad.

Old 05-25-2010, 12:57 AM

1,492 posts, read 3,232,250 times
Maybe offer to totor him for money (that the parents would pay). If people are paying money they often place more value on it.

Old 05-25-2010, 05:28 AM

1,476 posts, read 2,023,965 times
You say, "his parents" asked you to help. But was it indeed both of his parents or was it just the mom? Are you sure the boys dad was really "on board" with you helping him or maybe just didn't want to speak up at the time? What is your relationship with the dad? Its the dad who said the boy had to do chores at the time you had available to help the son. Maybe the dad, for some reason isn't keen on having you tutor the boy and just doesn't know how to come out and say that diplomatically so he's finding excuses. Maybe try offering the family the name of a good, professional tutor (if you know of one.) Sometimes, there's an undercurrent that goes on amongst family/friend relationships that just makes these seemingly helpful situations just not work. Good luck.

Old 05-25-2010, 07:07 AM

43,854 posts, read 51,148,202 times
I had a son who was in gifted and he wouldn't have wanted to read that book either. Nothing wrong with the book, but some kids just don't find it interesting. I feel sorry for a lot of kids out there. Between the school's expectations and so many daft parents....no wonder these kids are all messed up emotionally.

Old 05-25-2010, 07:29 AM

6,497 posts, read 11,809,810 times
Tell the parents what you wrote here.

Old 05-25-2010, 07:43 AM

486 posts, read 1,665,245 times
I agree with steelstress... I'd share your outlook on this with the boy's parents- in a softer tone though and leave out the part about maybe they want him to fail. Essentially I'd point out how important grades are to them and if they are serious about having you help their son, then maybe they could make an exception with his chores so that he can get caught up (up to speed) with the rest of the class on the book. Say, you offered because you care and think you could indeed help him, but your schedule is a little tight right now.

Hopefully these parents are on board together and aren't trying to sabotage their son. That would be bad.

Old 05-25-2010, 01:49 PM

2,605 posts, read 4,690,775 times
Don't make so much of the 'chores' thing. The father may have said that because the real reason isn't any of your business. Just ask the boy to give you a call when he has time to go over the book.

You could also help him via Email. My daughter had a tutor 1000 miles away in NYC for months. They Emailed back and forth a few times each week for months. They learned a lot from each other even though he is a teacher and she's a teen.

Old 05-25-2010, 02:20 PM

24,012 posts, read 28,443,002 times
Quote:
The father may have said that because the real reason isn't any of your business. Just ask the boy to give you a call when he has time to go over the book.
Except the boy's parents are the ones that requested she help. Typically, when you are asking someone for a favor, you do it at their convenience not yours. That's simply common courtesy. Chores or other family obligations may need to be rearranged if this is what worked for the person who is willing to help.

Old 05-25-2010, 02:26 PM

2,605 posts, read 4,690,775 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by maciesmom View Post
Except the boy's parents are the ones that requested she help. Typically, when you are asking someone for a favor, you do it at their convenience not yours. That's simply common courtesy. Chores or other family obligations may need to be rearranged if this is what worked for the person who is willing to help.
Ok, whatever; but I think she's making too much of nothing. Instead of making it a big deal, all she has to do is give the boy a call and they can either talk it over on the phone or through email. Through Email, it can be at the convience of both.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting