Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-28-2010, 08:39 AM

914 posts, read 1,806,671 times

Advertisements

I was raised in a very fairly religious household and even the words "idiot", "dummy", and "shut up" were frowned upon by my folks when I was mcuh younger. Until this day, I feel it very uncomfortable to use vulgar language around my folks, not even the word Ass. When I go to my friends places and sometimes have a chat with their folks (obviously if they're living at home or having a family gathering), they chat very casually and most of them swear around each other. I continue to not cuss around them, and sometimes use silly words in replace of a swear word. I think it's super weird how uncomfortable I get when mom and dad's swear around their children (not literally, young adults and older) and vice versa.

I guess the question is, do you swear around your family casually, and do they swear back? I'm not talking about a heated fight or a verbal assault. Just people who swear regularly. Also, how do you feel about it?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-28-2010, 08:44 AM

2,605 posts, read 4,692,872 times
I NEVER swore until I was in my 30s, but I do now from time to time. Not in conversation. I don't appreciate being around an overly aggressive cusser, but I think swearing is so commonplace that people don't think about it.

Old 05-28-2010, 08:46 AM

914 posts, read 1,806,671 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoExcuses View Post
I NEVER swore until I was in my 30s, but I do now from time to time. Not in conversation. I don't appreciate being around an overly aggressive cusser, but I think swearing is so commonplace that people don't think about it.

Same here; although I didn't swear until I was out of High School. I've got a mouth like a sailor around the comfort of just my friends, work, and playing video games, but will not swear in the company of adults or parents.

Old 05-28-2010, 08:53 AM

24,012 posts, read 28,455,426 times
Occasionally. I did not grow up around too much swearing (my mom might say something if she dropped a carton of eggs on the floor, and I've never in my life heard anything vulgar come out of my father's mouth). If/when I swear, I'll either do it privately out of frustration or in good humor. I don't swear at people. DH can have a bit of a potty mouth. My DD (19) will swear around us from time to time but my son (16) doesn't unless he's repeating something - and then he apologizes beforehand. It's like anything else. Knowing when it's appropriate and when it's not is paramount.

Old 05-28-2010, 09:14 AM

24,873 posts, read 36,167,496 times
I don't swear in front of my kids or my parents. I was raised not to swear, and am teaching my kids not to swear. We don't even let them say "stupid" and stuff like that. I don't mind it all that much if someone is hurt or startled and it's not in front of kids. But swearing does bother me when someone does it in front of my kids or just throws it into normal conversation.

Old 05-28-2010, 09:44 AM

1,476 posts, read 2,024,753 times
Good topic. I have two children, 8 and 11. We do not swear around them. Don't swear much at all, in fact. Anyhow, we don't watch much t.v. or even use the vulgar words heard there and up until this year, my kids thought the "s" word meant "stupid!"
Then, flash forward to my eldest entering middle school in 5th grade. The books read aloud to them in class and sent home from their school library are filled with profanity, including even the "f" word. Then yesterday she came home and told me one of the teachers was playing the game, "Truth or Crap" with the kids in school! And I notice that my child is saying the word "crap" out loud and not whispering it to me as she previously had, knowing it was a disrespectful word. Thank you to the school for that one!
Now, I know that kids will be kids and will learn all kinds of stuff from other kids. So, I was not surprised when she would come home and tell me of some of the "choice words" kids on the bus were using. But, I really don't appreciate it coming from the school, itself. That is endorsing it and I just don't think its right. Shouldn't the school be setting examples of better behavior and more intelligent forms of communication? Parents can do their best to monitor their kids t.v. habits, movie watching and internet experiences as recommended by all, but school attendance is not an option and we all pay taxes to pay for the public schools and this is what we get?
BTW, my children will continue to look to our family for their values because we are a very close, supportive family. And my kids are still not swearing or even calling someone "stupid," but I really don't appreciate them being forced to listen to vulgar language and swearing in school. Another one of the reasons we will not be returning to the public schools next year!

Old 05-28-2010, 10:01 AM

414 posts, read 1,009,849 times
No swearing for us. My husband and I had this discussion and we do not want our daughter (who is only 5 1/2 months old) and future children to swear. It is a bad habit and really doesn't represent you in a positive way. I hear way too many young children swearing and talking like they are 18 and I think society has made our children feel as if they have to grow up right away. I hate that. I mean, look at the shows on TV. I grew up watching Disney movies and older TV shows. I loved my childhood. I'm 23 and still watch Disney movies to this day so does my husband.

I think teenagers in society are under the impression that you have to act and talk a certain way to be "cool" or in the "in crowd" and that's completely false. My husband and I both played sports (me-volleyball him-football, wrestling and track and college football) were in choir and show choir and were in student government. We never had to act the way some kids do now.

I'm pretty sure if I walked into our local high school and started talking about the type of movies I enjoy they'd laugh me out of the building. Now the definition of being "cool" is swearing, drinking and all sorts of things high schools have no business doing.

Did many of my friends do some of these things...of course. But not to the extent they do now. I know I got a little off subject here, but I'm simply trying to say that children learn from their parents and what they learn from us they will always carry with them. Why use profanity and set other bad examples? My parents never did...of course things slipped from time to time as I'm sure they will from me and my husband, but no one's perfect right?!

So no...we don't swear in front of our daughter! (long story short...sorry for the little tanget!)

Old 05-28-2010, 10:14 AM

5,747 posts, read 12,052,379 times
Occasionally, yes, and I'm not proud of it.

Old 05-28-2010, 10:30 AM

2,884 posts, read 5,931,696 times
Yeah. We teach our kids, "there are no bad words, there are only inappropriate situations for some words".

Old 05-28-2010, 11:02 AM

2,856 posts, read 10,433,028 times
We never swear in front of our children, or at all really. I think it's completely unnecessary to do so in any situation.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting