Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-25-2012, 03:29 PM

2,551 posts, read 2,897,070 times

Advertisements

I have 4 kids... 2 boys and 2 girls. The boys are older and have been playing sports. My oldest daughter is just now getting to an age where she can participate in sports. The problem is... I am not very interested or excited about her sports as I was with my boys. Meaning, I don't care what sports they play, I don't care if they are any good, etc. So it's difficult to act like I am interested. I feel like she can see right through me...

Is this a natural feeling with a father that has both boys and girls? I realize this is a double standard and I am struggling with how to get past it. I have never been one to downplay women's sports either, so this feeling is really puzzling me.

Anyone else go through this themselves, a relative, spouse, friend, or even parent?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-25-2012, 05:10 PM

14,204 posts, read 12,288,761 times
It could be you are also just plain tuckered out too. One of my friends sisters got into sports hardcore, and the parents were always there helping out, cheering them on. But by the time my friend *a boy* got into them they were just like "meh". Could that be in you think?

Old 06-25-2012, 05:18 PM

33,942 posts, read 22,541,024 times
I've seen it with my friend but she is not as aware if it as you are. It's not a boy/girl thing though - she has two boys.

First son was a very good athlete; Parents extremely involved; etc. First son graduate and goes to college and to play his sport.

Second son is not as good. He doesn't make the varsity team his junior year. Mom loses interest and resents the time attending all the games takes.

I saw two things ~ one being that she was worn out after doing everything for first son, while working FT. The second being that it was not as fun when her second son was not the star. Not only not the star - but not really a good player.

Dad was even worse about attending second son's games.

I hope you find a way to work it out.

Old 06-25-2012, 05:19 PM

Also could it be you felt more connected because you played the sports they did?

Old 06-25-2012, 06:23 PM

1,988 posts, read 5,386,741 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucidkitty View Post
It could be you are also just plain tuckered out too. One of my friends sisters got into sports hardcore, and the parents were always there helping out, cheering them on. But by the time my friend *a boy* got into them they were just like "meh". Could that be in you think?
This is what I was thinking too... By the time one gets to child #3, boy or girl, some of the enthusiasm may have died down.

Old 06-25-2012, 06:54 PM

Quote:
I never thought about this actually but this is possible... Especially because there is a huge age difference between my oldest son and my next son. So I had a chance to go through the excitement of my older son... and then get reinvigorated with my 2nd son. And maybe I'm having a hard time recreating that excitement again.

Quote:
Also could it be you felt more connected because you played the sports they did?
I was thinking this is more the genesis of the feeling though... I am a huge football fan. And I played in college so its feeds a lot of my energy of watching my sons play it. My son's also compete in Karate, Baseball, and Basketball too. Other sports that I am deeply passionate about. Where my daughter is in gymnastics, soccer, and I'm sure eventually she will play Volleyball (my wife played and coaches at the club level)... those are sports I am just not into. Although I would love for my girls to play tennis. I love tennis.

The other thing I have been considering is the fact that the competition aspect has not kicked it with daughtesr yet. Maybe when she they get older and and the competition is more fierce I may get into it then...

I hate to say it but I really prefer my daughters just take dance and play instruments or something. I don't care to see them compete. And I don't expect them to have that instinct of wanting to win like my boys. I see them more as dainty girls... Why? I cannot explain... because my wife is very athletic and loves to compete. So its very weird...

I'm just kinda lost on it. Having a hard time trying to articulate it. Ultimately I just do not want to cheat my girl's experiences and I don't want to be the parent who did not push them to their potential... that's all.

Last edited by Mr. GE; 06-25-2012 at 07:30 PM..

Old 06-25-2012, 07:04 PM

32,516 posts, read 37,194,204 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. GE View Post
I was thinking this is more the genesis of the feeling though... I am a huge football fan.
Hey, Mr. GE I was juuuuust going to bring that up.

Girls don't play the game.

I don't think it's you. I was thinking your love for football may be playing into it.

Old 06-25-2012, 07:17 PM

13,425 posts, read 9,960,461 times
Wow, I really admire your candor and desire to get past this for the sake of your daughters, OP.

That's really insightful of you, well done dad.

Old 06-25-2012, 07:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DewDropInn View Post
I don't think it's you. I was thinking your love for football may be playing into it.
Yea, I better learn how to appreciate other sports in the next few years...

Quote:
Originally Posted by FinsterRufus View Post
That's really insightful of you, well done dad.
Thanks for the kind words... I'm just realizing how flawed my feelings are in this. I'd rather ask for help than do nothing.

Old 06-25-2012, 08:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. GE View Post
Yea, I better learn how to appreciate other sports in the next few years...

Thanks for the kind words... I'm just realizing how flawed my feelings are in this. I'd rather ask for help than do nothing.
yes yes YES!! Go out on the volley ball bleachers with a painted face, and a sign . Of course then they might not want you to cheer them on.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting