Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-06-2010, 01:06 PM

2,725 posts, read 5,189,775 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by malamute View Post
Light teasing does immunize a child but the difference between teasing and taunting has a lot to do with power plays.

Teasing is among peers, two friends might tease one another or a parent lightly teases a child only to the point the child still finds it amusing. An adult provoking a child to the point that the child can only cry is a bully - no matter if it's a parent, no matter how politically high up the parent.

Jenna Bush seems well-adjusted, pretty tolerant of the politics in her life but we never read of her parents picking at her, taunting her, and reducing her to tears. It's never necessary for a parent to out-right bully a child and torment a child, no matter how much they crave power.

When children are teasing each other, the teasing stops when one side weakens and shows hurt and pain. Bullies will see hurt as a signal to go on at which point it becomes taunting and cruel. Other kids will just back off because they realize they took it too far.
Malamute, that was a great post. You articulated your thoughts very well.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-06-2010, 01:51 PM

26,727 posts, read 26,812,827 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by malamute View Post
An adult provoking a child to the point that the child can only cry is a bully - no matter if it's a parent, no matter how politically high up the parent.
There was no bullying, from what I read. Maybe I didn't explain this correctly. Chelsea would cry because she couldn't believe that anyone would say things (that the Clintons would role-play...the Clintons being the media, hypothetical kids at school, etc). They would reassure her but try to get her to realize--as a small child, before she had to confront this--that she would hear some awful and untrue things about her family.

Quote:
Jenna Bush seems well-adjusted, pretty tolerant of the politics in her life but we never read of her parents picking at her, taunting her...
Right, and she had a sibling. One of the reasons the Clintons did this was because Chelsea was an only child.

Old 06-06-2010, 01:59 PM

2,725 posts, read 5,189,775 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CA4Now View Post
There was no bullying, from what I read. Maybe I didn't explain this correctly. Chelsea would cry because she couldn't believe that anyone would say things (that the Clintons would role-play...the Clintons being the media, hypothetical kids at school, etc). They would reassure her but try to get her to realize--as a small child, before she had to confront this--that she would hear some awful and untrue things about her family.
Thank you for mentioning the role-play. I think it is a very important thing for parents to do at home with their children so they can get some "practice."

Old 07-02-2012, 10:09 PM

1 posts, read 673 times
Default teasing vs taunting

I was spending the weekend with my sis and brotherinlaw. He teases often and sometimes exceeds the limits of human endurance but I have always been able to handle it. I had a very bad migraine and had been vomiting this day and I asked him if I could have a little of his two liter 7up. He said sure. In a few minutes when I felt like getting up to get it I got up and reached for the bottle (i had a glass and was gonna pour a little init). He grabbed the bottle before I could and started laughing and switching it from one hand to the other so I could not get it. Feeling as I did and not knowing when I would throw up, I did not feel much like playing games so I left the room without a word and went into the room I am staying in .... my sister running after me and saying over and over "'he was just teasing" ... but it felt like taunting to me. At any rate I probably overreacted but was a bit shocked that he would pick this time and circumstance to pull this. They went on to town to eat as planned and when they returned I tried to explain but both were just mad and rude and would not listen so I went back to my room. Mind you we are all ... are supposed to be ... adults. I was very upset and don't know what to do now but still feeling pretty bad and am going to bed.

What do you think???

Old 07-03-2012, 05:51 AM

2,731 posts, read 6,118,789 times
I think he's a jerk.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting