Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-04-2010, 02:41 PM

42,554 posts, read 86,968,624 times

Advertisements

Phone an optometrist or two, and explain the situation to the receptionist, and ask if there is any chance they would refract her eyes pro-bono. Once you have an Rx in your hand, you can get really cheap glasses from online places like Zenni. Or the school nurse might have a contact that she can refer you to.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-06-2010, 01:24 PM

1,309 posts, read 1,362,447 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by txtqueen View Post
What do you think about a mother who doesn't take her kids to the dentist, eye doctor or a regular doctor no matter how bad it is?

That girl I reported abuse on recently told me she thinks she needs glasses.
She says things are blurry, etc.
I was only 2 years younger than her when I found I needed glasses and I still need/wear glasses till today and she experiences a lot of what I experience.

People's faces and things being blurry at a distance they aren't for people with glasses on or 20/20 vision.

She told me her mom thinks she's faking it. I don't get how you can fake bad eye sight...but whatever..
And she refuses to take her to the eye doctor because she doesn't want to pay any amount of money for her exam etc.

She was sick for a month and a half a few months back and her mom wouldn't take her to be seen at all. She was deathly ill, hacking stuff up and her mom refused to take her.

This just pisses me off.
It's not like she's asking for new clothes etc..
She wants a frikkin eye exam and glasses so she can see right.

Should I report her parents again via CPS and tell them they refuse to take her to the doctors of any kind and she needs to be seen?
Good golly miss Molly! So your one of those people that have nothing better to do other than to completely destroy a family so you can hold your head up and say you did what was best? You are the reason I feel people that get reported should be allowed to confront their accusers.
I'm sure you would have offered to assist these folks or maybe even pay for whatever they needed under your fine guidelines of what other families should do if your intentions were genuine.
How about this, you mind your business and stop your busy body selfish home intrusions because you are bored and have no life of your own.
What the hell were you doing having these kinds of conversations with someone else s kid anyway?
I'll bet you take pride in the degradation of others to fall to your level. Absolutely pathetic!

Old 06-06-2010, 01:51 PM

3,430 posts, read 4,336,164 times
Report them again. This is child neglect. I don't understand how a mother cna do this to her own child. She has serious problems and I find it very disturbing. How can you watch your child suffer like that and do nothing at all?

Old 06-07-2010, 07:47 AM

4,507 posts, read 9,062,720 times
If you've already reported them to CPS why doesn't the girl discuss her health issues with the case worker? Something doesn't seem right here. I'd be surprised if she couldn't quickly and easily get the help she needs given the family is already 'in the system'. . She could probably go into the nurses office at school and get a quick eye check....and determine from there if she needs a full eye exam. With her parent's permission, I'd bet she could find an eye doctor to do the exam for free (she's a minor, they'd have to consent). Tell her to call her case worker. That should be your answer to her EVERY TIME she has new complaints about her parents....I don't know why you end up in the middle, you don't belong there.

Ordering the glasses on-line is an excellent idea to keep it affordable for her. Even if she is able to get glasses via CPS intervention she should order a back up pair on-line.

Old 06-07-2010, 08:41 AM

6,190 posts, read 7,971,885 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PCincorrect View Post
Good golly miss Molly! So your one of those people that have nothing better to do other than to completely destroy a family so you can hold your head up and say you did what was best? You are the reason I feel people that get reported should be allowed to confront their accusers.
I'm sure you would have offered to assist these folks or maybe even pay for whatever they needed under your fine guidelines of what other families should do if your intentions were genuine.
How about this, you mind your business and stop your busy body selfish home intrusions because you are bored and have no life of your own.
What the hell were you doing having these kinds of conversations with someone else s kid anyway?
I'll bet you take pride in the degradation of others to fall to your level. Absolutely pathetic!

Are you kidding me?
This girl is in an explorers program with me and told me this stuff ON HER OWN!!!
She told me about being hit and being put in a head lock.
She told me about being forced out of the house mid-february in a t-shirt and shorts and no shoes.
She told me about how she goes without showering for days on end.
She told me about how she is only allowed to shower every other day but it never happens because she has to ask permission to take a shower and her mom and step-dad always say no.
She told me about how her step-father smokes weed.
She told me about the emotional abuse that goes on.
She told me about how her vision is crappy and her mom thinks she is faking it and refuses to get her to get seen.
She told me about she was once grounded from showering for a week.
She told me about how her mom slammed her sisters head into a wall.

She came to me on her own and told me all this stuff.
She and I are the only females in the program and of course she and I bonded and are like sisters and she looks up to me.

And being a police officer is about listening to people and helping them and finding them the help they need.
And I have offered to pay but her parents hate me since the last time they were reported and nothing happened because the system is flawed. I have offered to help.

And by the way I DO have a life of my own.
I have friends I hang out with.
I have explorers I go to.
I have sports I play and I work out.
I go to the mall with friends.
In fact today in 2 hours I go to a fitness program and then out with a friend I haven't seen since high school and then my two friends who have been out of town come back and we are going to hang out later in the afternoon.
Oh and just the other night I did a ride along with the sheriffs department and busted some pot heads and then spent 4-5 hours on a fatal and very sad motorcycle vs. deer accident.

So I do have a life and this girl who I consider a friend and a little sister CAME TO ME and told me of things that happen in her life that concern her and hurt her and that are WRONG.

So what do you do for people and your town? I bet NOTHING!

Old 06-07-2010, 08:59 AM

OP, you are not a police officer and you aren't in a place of authority to 'help' this MINOR child. Report it to CPS or to their case worker and that's all you can or should do.

Old 06-07-2010, 09:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NCyank View Post
OP, you are not a police officer and you aren't in a place of authority to 'help' this MINOR child. Report it to CPS or to their case worker and that's all you can or should do.
AND THATS WHAT I DID!!!!!
I listened, offered advice like any other same aged person would do, confided in my mom for help and then my mom told the proper authorities.
Nothing happened so YET AGAIN I am going to make a report to child services and get this taken care of.

And what are you going to say once I am POST certified? (meaning a police officer)
What then?

Old 06-07-2010, 09:15 AM

6,497 posts, read 11,814,317 times
You know what, you've done what you can. Now quit telling people off here for something that can't be taken care of. You asked what we think, and we told you. Why do you keep telling people off here when there is no viable solution?

You want to do something... pay for her exam and glasses. That's ALL you can do. CPS isn't doing anything, drop it. You really have to get over this super ego you have. You're not all that powerful to make people do something.

If you don't intend to pay for her exam and glasses, then DROP IT.

Old 06-07-2010, 09:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by txtqueen View Post
AND THATS WHAT I DID!!!!!
I listened, offered advice like any other same aged person would do, confided in my mom for help and then my mom told the proper authorities.
Nothing happened so YET AGAIN I am going to make a report to child services and get this taken care of.
Why are you asking
Quote:
Should I report her parents again via CPS and tell them they refuse to take her to the doctors of any kind and she needs to be seen?
if you have already done it? You asked if you should, I answered....why you getting so emotional about it?

Quote:
And what are you going to say once I am POST certified? (meaning a police officer)
What then?
I'm not one to put the cart before the horse but since you asked....

I certainly don't see any other police officers here asking what they should do about this or that or what we think of their mother or their brother or should they move out of the house or should someone else move it and why shouldn't they be able to use their computer in the hotel room on vacation, etc. If you are still here, asking the same sorts of questions once you are a real police officer (with a gun!! ) I would have SERIOUS concerns. Much more so than now.

But again, I'm willing to wait it out and see how you do.....you have a long way to go.

Old 06-07-2010, 09:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by steelstress View Post
You know what, you've done what you can. Now quit telling people off here for something that can't be taken care of. You asked what we think, and we told you. Why do you keep telling people off here when there is no viable solution?

You want to do something... pay for her exam and glasses. That's ALL you can do. CPS isn't doing anything, drop it. You really have to get over this super ego you have. You're not all that powerful to make people do something.

If you don't intend to pay for her exam and glasses, then DROP IT.
You know what? You know NOTHING about the law, NOTHING about what [i] can do, NOTHING about my options and you know NOTHING about helping people...

All you do is "judge" and then tell people to accept it and DROP IT.

Some help you are.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting