Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-06-2010, 09:26 PM

43,011 posts, read 108,004,288 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoExcuses View Post
She said she never worried about any of them while she was in the bathroom because all four were outside the door crying for her to come out.
Hillarious! LMAO!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-06-2010, 09:54 PM

2,605 posts, read 4,691,053 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopes View Post
Hillarious! LMAO!
It's the truth. I thought she'd go nuts before they reached their teens. As it was, she learned to roll with it and she AND all four did well.

She called me early one morning before I left for work and asked if I could pick up her oldest (in kindergarten) because he refused to get on the bus. When I stopped she had 3 in the house screaming while she chased her oldest around the yard as he yelled, "I DON'T WANT TO GO TO SCHOOL". After she caught him, she strapped him in my back seat as he screamed and kicked. It was just one of those days. He was perfectly happy to jump out of the car and into school when I got him there.

Actually, he was a very well behaved child. I don't know what possessed him that morning.

Old 06-06-2010, 09:59 PM

3,422 posts, read 10,900,551 times
You know NoExcuses, mine were not that close together, but having a lock on the bathroom door is so wonderful for those times you just need a few minutes....so I can totally relate to your sister.

I lock our master bedroom door and use the master bath for an added cushion between me and the kids. Recently our door was not latching properly and I was unable to lock it for a few wks. My husband re-hung it and got it all fixed and it was like Christmas, my birthday, and my anniversary all rolled up into one present to be able to lock my bedroom door again.

Old 06-06-2010, 10:09 PM

43,011 posts, read 108,004,288 times
Regarding locking the bathroom door.

Every time I ran bath water, my children would come running to jump into the bathtub with me.

I'll never forget the day I decided to lock the bathroom door so I could have a relaxing bath in private.

They still heard the water running, and my husband had to come upstairs to pull them away from the door and distract them.

Old 06-06-2010, 10:19 PM

24,012 posts, read 28,444,796 times
Yep...started locking the bathroom door after one long day going into the bathroom and at some point realized I was carrying on a full conversation with a 4 yo a 1 yo (and just for good measure the dog and cat were in there too) while I was doing what I was in there to do, as if that was perfectly normal.

Old 06-06-2010, 10:25 PM

2,540 posts, read 6,228,513 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lisalan View Post
This question is for moms with grown children. Does parenting ever get easier? Does it get better when the kids are a certain age?
I have a 7 year old boy, 2 1/2 year old girl and a 7 month old baby girl and I am going out of my mind. Please tell me it gets better.
I babysat my nieces & nephews for 12 yrs before having my dd, and I loved every new venture w/ them. Part of it for me was understanding them and their behavior as to what was age appropriate. With my dd, I have loved every stage of her life and never looked at one stage as better than the other, but a new challenge. She is 14 now, and I have walked hand in hand w/ her into every new stage enjoying it to the fullest. I never took on parenting my child wishing for the day it became easier. I took it on knowing I was responsible for raising my child to be the best he/she could be in life and to meet her/his full potential.

Old 06-06-2010, 11:05 PM

5,696 posts, read 19,136,991 times
I agree with other comments that its a cycle. I have a 13 yr old and its easier where I can go to the store and if he wishes to stay home he can. But its harder when it comes to the emotional stuff. He is getting slightly interested in girls and some of these girls are mean! ugh. I watched him play basketball outside and a group of kids were sitting on the lawn across the street. Most of them were girls. I saw them call him over. He sat down in their circle and at first I was like ohhh how sweet! Then I could see his back stiffen and I just got that sense something was wrong. I then saw one of the girls take the basketball from him and whip it across the street. The group laughed. Oh man, mumma bear wanted to come out in me soooo bad. But of course I cant do that. He calmed walked across the street, retrieved his ball and went back to shooting hoops. I asked him when he came in if everything was okay. He said those particular girls are just mean to him. They started making fun of his shirt and then took his ball. He said he was fine and he really did seem like it was okay. Personally I think the one girl likes him who knows. I miss the days when you could say something to another kid or have a talk with parents if there is a problem. I really miss the toddler days. Enjoy them because they go fast.

Old 06-07-2010, 06:22 AM

47,525 posts, read 69,672,493 times
I would say newborn is the best age, there's something special about a newborn as they look around and start gaining control over their arms and legs - but then when they're starting to crawl is pretty special. Watching them learn to walk and talk could be the best time, but then watching them start school and learn to read and make friends is pretty enjoyable.

It's very nice when they're around 7-12 and you can enjoy hikes with them and not have to carry them most of the way, and they're great fun on family trips and you can really enjoy them at that stage. But it's also a lot of fun when they become older and are more help, and teaching them to drive and helping them buy their first car, watching their faces as they face their independence - well that's great also. And when you see their pride the day they bring home their first pay check - it's hard to beat that.

It's when they leave it gets hard.

Old 06-07-2010, 09:44 AM

486 posts, read 1,665,339 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopes View Post
Regarding locking the bathroom door.

Every time I ran bath water, my children would come running to jump into the bathtub with me.

I'll never forget the day I decided to lock the bathroom door so I could have a relaxing bath in private.

They still heard the water running, and my husband had to come upstairs to pull them away from the door and distract them.
I can totally relate... Anytime my child hears the bath or shower water going she wants to come in too.. and if I don't let her she's not happy about it. Although sometimes I just use this as an opportunity to get her clean too.

Old 06-08-2010, 05:05 PM

8,840 posts, read 4,802,296 times
I have a 21yo stepson, an 18yo stepdaughter, and a 7yo son. I raised my stepkids from when they were 2 and 4, so I've pretty much dealt with all ages at this point.

A lot depends on the child, but I will tell you that the teenage years by far have been the worst. Most of my friends have kids closer to my son's age, and when they say they can't wait until their kids get older so things will get easier, I just laugh. Bigger kids, bigger problems.

My son's temperment is much easier than either of my stepkids. With him three was the worst age - much worse than the "terrible two's". The last few years have been great. I think 5-7 is a great time overall. They're still excited by everything and interested in everything. They love to learn - their ability to read grows by leaps and bounds, and it's amazing to see. They're gaining independence, but you can still hug and kiss them as much as you want.

I know before long my son will start getting that pre-teen attitude, so I am enjoying this time!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting