Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-09-2010, 04:52 PM

4,471 posts, read 9,831,554 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by aidxen View Post
Kids should not be exposed to adult movies period.
Kids would ruin the experienec for adults present. Even if they were quiet, some adults would feel uncomfortable about the kids being there and therefore not enjoy the movie.
Kids should be at home in bed at the hours described.
If the parents couldn't get a baby sitter then they should forgo the movie. They after all made the decision to have kids and sometimes they just have to make a sacrifice and not do something for their own enjoyment.
Every time there was a sex scene I would look back and the kids would be starting right at it. It was funny tho because we walked in and we where like "wow should their be kids at this movie?" and we sat relatively near the door and everytime anyone walked on our side you where hear them say the same thing.

On another note. My mom was telling me about when she had me there was something called "the infant movie showing" where they would show a popular movie during the day and all infants and mommies where welcome with the understanding that a little crying wasn't a big deal.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-09-2010, 08:10 PM

1,492 posts, read 3,232,250 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ohiogirl22 View Post
Every time there was a sex scene I would look back and the kids would be starting right at it. It was funny tho because we walked in and we where like "wow should their be kids at this movie?" and we sat relatively near the door and everytime anyone walked on our side you where hear them say the same thing.

On another note. My mom was telling me about when she had me there was something called "the infant movie showing" where they would show a popular movie during the day and all infants and mommies where welcome with the understanding that a little crying wasn't a big deal.
Yes they have those here. Cant remember exactly when but I think wednesdays. They do advertise that the sound is lower volume and the lights are not dimmed completely to black. I have a vague idea that they even mentioned breast feeding was encouraged or acceptable or something on the flyer.

Old 06-09-2010, 09:40 PM

1,128 posts, read 1,644,832 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by manderly6 View Post
So you have total control over how a 2 year old would act late at night in a boring setting?

And comparing it to other places is probably not the best example. How many places do you go where no talking is expected for 2 hours at a time?
I didn't say a two year old should be out late in a boring setting where theres other people around and they need it to be quiet. I mentioned a drive in not a theater.
I wouldn't take a two year old or a five year old or even a 7 year old out real late. After that it depends on the kid. And whats late to one person may not be late to another.

Old 06-10-2010, 05:08 AM

1,364 posts, read 4,145,379 times
Quote:
What's the point of rating movies if parents ignore this and take their kids anyway. I think it is cheap and disgusting to hold back on babbysitting fees just so an adult can go see a movie.

Why don't the theaters enforce these ratings and not allow children in these movies? I know they are accompanied by an adult but that does not make it any better.

These will be the same parents whose kids end up in trouble and the parents will wonder "what did we do wrong?"
The point of rating these movies is to give an idea of what type of scenes, themes, and language are going to be present in the movie and is a GUIDE, not an end all be all of "a 13 year old absolutely cannot see it simply because it's rated R". I would think a responsible parent would not only look at the rating, but also determine WHY it's rated that way and make their OWN decision about whether or not it's appropriate for THEIR child, assuming this is a child old enough to ask to see a particular movie. Now a 5 or 6 year old being forced to watch Sex in the City or Terminator because their parents are too lazy to get a babysitter or don't care about the rating, yes, I agree is lazy parenting. However, I think it's unfair to group ALL parents as being bad or irresponsible because they've decided their child IS capable of understanding and processing a movie with adult themes.

Quote:
Kids would ruin the experienec for adults present. Even if they were quiet, some adults would feel uncomfortable about the kids being there and therefore not enjoy the movie.
If the parents couldn't get a baby sitter then they should forgo the movie. They after all made the decision to have kids and sometimes they just have to make a sacrifice and not do something for their own enjoyment.
Define "kids" and define "adult movies". A child doesn't just magically turn 18 and all of a sudden, is capable of processing movies with adult themes. Some may not "get it" until they're around 18. Some may be 12. I don't think there's a magic number. Parenting involves one gathering the information (or using information and experiences already known) and making a decision in the best interest of your child. That decision may be very different from someone elses.

If a child of reasonable age is at a rated R movie, without causing a ruckus of any sort, and accompanied by a parent, why is it my problem if other people are uncomfortable simply by a child's presence? Why would your enjoyment be interrupted? I consider that a YOU problem.

In the OP's case, yes, I think the ages and the time of the movie are highly inappropriate, and the parent's should have gotten a babysitter or foregone seeing the movie. However, I don't think every case of a child under 18 seeing a rated R movie=bad parenting.

Old 06-10-2010, 05:32 AM

1,413 posts, read 3,230,769 times
Default Be a parent, not a fool!

If you can't afford a sitter, you probably should'nt be at the movies. Spend the extra 10-15 dollars for a babysitter and enjoy an adult night out. Or stay home and rent a G-rated movie.

Children need regular bed times and should not be exposed to a lot of violence/sex/drama prior to bedtime.

Reminds me of the many times while visiting Vegas, where so-called "parents" are pushing their babies around in their strollers at 3:00 o'clock in the morning, kevetching about the kids whinging! Please!! Get those kids in bed and feed them regularly and your problems will disapear!

Old 06-10-2010, 07:43 AM

17,573 posts, read 46,123,839 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phoenixscorpiogirl View Post
I didn't say a two year old should be out late in a boring setting where theres other people around and they need it to be quiet. I mentioned a drive in not a theater.
I wouldn't take a two year old or a five year old or even a 7 year old out real late. After that it depends on the kid. And whats late to one person may not be late to another.
Here is your post I responded to:

When my kids were a lot younger we went to see Terminator 2 and the youngest was a baby but he was good the whole thing through, if he did cry one of us would have taken him out. The other 2 kids at the time were like 2 and 5 they were both fine also. I don't know about everyone but I don't think it's that hard to control a child if you do it right. If you can't then where can you take them? Not to the movies, not out to dinner....
But people who talk loudly on their cell phones at the movies are really annoying too.

Not sure what you are talking about.

Old 06-10-2010, 07:53 AM

24,873 posts, read 36,152,786 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joliefille View Post
If you can't afford a sitter, you probably should'nt be at the movies. Spend the extra 10-15 dollars for a babysitter and enjoy an adult night out. Or stay home and rent a G-rated movie.

Children need regular bed times and should not be exposed to a lot of violence/sex/drama prior to bedtime.

Reminds me of the many times while visiting Vegas, where so-called "parents" are pushing their babies around in their strollers at 3:00 o'clock in the morning, kevetching about the kids whinging! Please!! Get those kids in bed and feed them regularly and your problems will disapear!
I agree, except that the sitter would be more like $10-$15 PER HOUR. Not an excuse. I'm just sayin'.

Old 06-10-2010, 09:01 AM

45,218 posts, read 100,676,096 times
Quote:

When my kids were a lot younger we went to see Terminator 2 and the youngest was a baby but he was good the whole thing through, if he did cry one of us would have taken him out. The other 2 kids at the time were like 2 and 5 they were both fine also. I don't know about everyone but I don't think it's that hard to control a child if you do it right. If you can't then where can you take them? Not to the movies, not out to dinner....
But people who talk loudly on their cell phones at the movies are really annoying too.

I am appalled that any parent would be so clueless as to take a 2 and 5 year-old to a movie like Terminator

Old 06-10-2010, 09:19 AM

356 posts, read 916,449 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aidxen View Post
Kids would ruin the experience for adults present. Even if they were quiet, some adults would feel uncomfortable about the kids being there and therefore not enjoy the movie.
I agree and live by almost all of these statements except one ..the one about bedtime..

Different families live on different schedules. It is not fair to automatically assume that because children are out late, it is poor parenting. Some families have a later schedule because of a parent's work hours. I think there are also some cultural influences. Some kids (like mine) will be up until midnight anyway if they have a good nap in the afternoon, so why not take them somewhere, esp. if you know they will be able to sleep in the morning. In my opinion, late bedtimes are not a mistake for all kids or in all situations.

However, when we take our 3- and 6- year old children to see our first theater movie as a family (Toy Story 3 in just a few weeks ), we will probably not go to a 10:30 pm show..maybe 8:30 pm though...

Old 06-10-2010, 11:45 AM

1,128 posts, read 1,644,832 times
Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovesMountains View Post
I am appalled that any parent would be so clueless as to take a 2 and 5 year-old to a movie like Terminator
Look, my kids enjoyed all of the Terminator movies, I never forced them. Sorry my kids happen to like action and think machines and robots are cool (or did, when they were younger). At the same timme we saw all the Disney movies too. In fact the one time any of my kids cried was when Mufasa died on The Lion King! when you think about it, it was a childrens movie yet involved violence and murder.
I think most people on this thread are being very judgemental. I agree with some things like not taking preschoolers out to a late night indoor theater ...but if a person has kids that are mature and can think for themselves then why does anyone have to judge them? There are plenty of kids that grow up with very strict parents and end up heroin addicts or in jail.....on the other hand there are people like me that teach their kids what is real and what isn't, what is right and wrong, and help them make their own decisions as they get older.
You can call me a bad parent because I let my kids watch a few R rated movies or play video games but my kids are mature and hard working and honor roll students... so I guess that's what my bad parenting brought up.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting