Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-15-2012, 05:41 PM

9,328 posts, read 13,002,482 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cry_havoc View Post
I didn't trash Philly. It is a fine city but it is no Pittsburgh.
And Pittsburgh is also no Philly. Do you see why simplistic blanket statements like that are absolutely meaningless?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-15-2012, 06:53 PM

6,347 posts, read 9,874,162 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HeavenWood View Post
And Pittsburgh is also no Philly. Do you see why simplistic blanket statements like that are absolutely meaningless?
Yes it is better.

Old 09-15-2012, 06:55 PM

Quote:
Yes it is better.
Care to expand on that?

Old 09-15-2012, 07:30 PM

Quote:
Care to expand on that?
Sure Pittsburgh is a superior city having more better qualities and fewer bad qualities than Philly.

Old 09-15-2012, 07:57 PM

932 posts, read 1,944,511 times
Quote:
Sure Pittsburgh is a superior city having more better qualities and fewer bad qualities than Philly.
That's not expanding, that's simply rephrasing. Please give us some criteria for what Pittsburgh is better at.

And yes, Pittsburgh is a small medium city. I think of cities from 250k-500k to be medium sized, Pittsburgh is on the lower end of that range. It's certainly not a large city, as you seem to be arguing. I think small-medium is the right designation for Pittsburgh. I will say Pittsburgh's reputation and visibility nationally are much larger than the city itself, but the city itself is a small-medium city. Allentown, Erie, Reading, Scranton, et al are small cities, yes. The funny thing is, the Little 6 (the arc around Philadelphia from Lancaster to Easton) all feel similar in size, despite their rather vast population differences.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SPSGuy View Post
Just curious, but why would Bethlehem be so low? It is far more attributive then Allentown and Reading with the help of good universities, vibrancy, and the preserved historic downtown.
Probably because I've spent a lot of time in Allentown and Reading, but not a whole lot in Bethlehem because there's never been anything that attracted me there. In short, my ranking is far from scientific.

Last edited by BTA88; 09-15-2012 at 08:09 PM..

Old 09-15-2012, 07:57 PM

429 posts, read 654,170 times
Just let it go. This argument has no merit. Pittsburgh has no Old City, Philly has no Mt. Washington.

Old 09-15-2012, 09:05 PM

Quote:
So what you're really trying to say is that you're one of those Pittsburgh homer mouth breathers who has the adversarial skills and critical reasoning ability of a fourth grader?

Old 09-15-2012, 11:03 PM

Quote:
So what you're really trying to say is that you're one of those Pittsburgh homer mouth breathers who has the adversarial skills and critical reasoning ability of a fourth grader?
Im not a Pittsburgh homer. Im not from Pittsburgh, never lived there, and only visited both Pittsburgh and Philly. I am also someone who traveled the world and knows many cities. Philly cannot hold a candle to Pittsburgh. Dont get me wrong Philly is great but pales in comparison to Pittsburgh. There is better cities than Pittsburgh in the US, but PA Pittsburgh reigns supreme.

I am not trying to offend. Philly is nice.

Old 09-15-2012, 11:20 PM

Quote:
Im not a Pittsburgh homer. Im not from Pittsburgh, never lived there, and only visited both Pittsburgh and Philly. I am also someone who traveled the world and knows many cities. Philly cannot hold a candle to Pittsburgh. Dont get me wrong Philly is great but pales in comparison to Pittsburgh. There is better cities than Pittsburgh in the US, but PA Pittsburgh reigns supreme.

I am not trying to offend. Philly is nice.
I'm not offended that you like Pittsburgh more. I'm just asking you to name reasons why you think Pittsburgh is better, which for whatever reason you're unable to do.

Old 09-15-2012, 11:31 PM

Quote:
I'm not offended that you like Pittsburgh more. I'm just asking you to name reasons why you think Pittsburgh is better, which for whatever reason you're unable to do.
Because the city and the people are better. I keep giving them. If you have specific questions I will gladly answer them, but if you ask a broad question you will get a broad answer.

The more narrow the question the more narrow the answer.

Also realize I am not dissing Philly. I think it is a great city.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania