Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-15-2010, 09:00 AM

712 posts, read 1,971,673 times

Advertisements

2010 Annual Rainbow Gathering - Welcome (http://www.welcomehere.org/gathering_of_the_tribes/annual/ - broken link)

I would say they are quite the tribe...

What is everyone else's opinion on the subject?

I believe that they last time they came, they cost the National Forest Service about $30K to clean up their mess and they cost the state about $300,000 in added expense - crowd control and state police protection, not to mention how much it cost the local merchants when the hippies came to town and stole everything except the statue in front of the court house in Ridgeway...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-15-2010, 11:05 AM

457 posts, read 1,280,392 times
Hopefully they get some of this great PA weather and it storms on them the whole time.

Old 06-15-2010, 12:32 PM

4,277 posts, read 11,789,634 times
Looks like Ridgway's spared, it appears to be in Warren County.

Old 06-16-2010, 06:02 PM

712 posts, read 1,971,673 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sr1234 View Post
Hopefully they get some of this great PA weather and it storms on them the whole time.
That was part of the problem the last time they came to town. It rained and they used open slit trenches for toilets. Women going pee right beside the men. They rolled around in the mud like pigs in a wallow.

After they were done, they all packed up and left and the park service spent a couple of weeks cleaning up everything and had to use about 10 garbage trucks to haul all the stuff away and had to use bulldozers to clean up the site.

I would compare it to Woodstock.

Old 06-17-2010, 06:27 AM

45,399 posts, read 60,592,880 times
****, I have to be up there the 5th-7th, no way I can avoid it.

Old 06-18-2010, 11:01 AM

30 posts, read 77,506 times
When were they at the ANF last? I remember it being awful for the area and that they left a lot of trash/clean-up behind them. How is the permitting for this type of event? I read their website 2010 Annual Rainbow Gathering - Welcome (http://www.welcomehere.org/gathering_of_the_tribes/annual/?Welcome - broken link) and it is infuriating to read the "runaway" section as well as how to deal with police. I have always lived with the notion of if you aren't doing anything wrong, you don't need to worry about antagonizing the local/state police. Somewhat rosy view, I know, but essentially true.

It looks like they will be back in the same location as they were in 1986 (?) and unfortunately near some of the prettiest areas of the ANF - Heart's Content, Tionesta.

Grrrrr

Old 06-21-2010, 08:09 PM

1 posts, read 2,066 times
Little Bevis, you really don't know what you are talking about. The rainbow family always cleans up not only their own sites but also the old garbage left behind in the forest by sportsmen, loggers, squatters and other people over the years. Family volunteers stay behind to re-seed the grounds and erase trails and leave the forest better than found. Actually, the truth is quite the opposite of your statements concerning the stores and merchants. There may be a few shoplifters, very few. but the merchants in towns near the gatherings always make lots of money on the purchases of the Rainbow family. Where do you think they get their supplies, Bevis? I'll bet the merchants of Ridgway wish the gathering were coming back near there this year. Your estimates as to the cost of the Rainbow gathering to the state can not be confirmed and are no doubt quite untrue. Sanitation at a Gathering is, as you say, through the use of the slit trench, the Composting slit trench. It is NOT an open trench. The trench is filled in as used with ash, lime and dirt by all users so no waist is exposed and there are no flys! Do you wash your hands, Bevis? Well you could at a Rainbow toilet because each one has a sanitary hand wash! And Privacy at the trench is respected. Actually, it's the, "forest service" not as you imply, "the park service" who control the National Forest. Finally, please visit the gathering if your in the area. The folks make good healthy food and make nice music on drums and guitars. Toad

Old 06-23-2010, 08:51 PM

1 posts, read 2,040 times
Rainbow Family of Living Light Unofficial Home Page go to LEGAL DOCUMENTS, then click NFS Reports, then click on 1999 Final Impact Study

This is the official report and final assessment filed by the district Forest Service following cleanup at the 1999 Penn. Gathering near Ridgeway. Read for yourself the truth of our impact there. BTW...ridgeway merchants reported revenues of over 1,000,000 from Rainbow's presence there. Not bad I think. I was there...I went to Ridgeway for several supply runs and was warmly and respectfully received. Our kitchen wasn't serving main circle so we funded ourselves and spent over $2000 during the course of the gathering in Ridgeway. The misinformation I have read here is ridiculous and akin to fish tale style oral tradition. If you weren't there, didn't walk the site during, after, or since then...well, you are just talking B.S. Grow up, green eggs and ham...your judgement is without value and reflects badly on you. Anyway...read the report. And pray for a better world for our children and grandchildren cause things are pretty bad right now. Love, respect, and ohmmmmm

Old 06-23-2010, 09:21 PM

457 posts, read 1,280,392 times
Well, Ridgway is lucky this year because the gathering will be an hour away.

I hope it dumps rain on them the whole week.

Old 06-26-2010, 06:30 PM

167 posts, read 354,250 times
Is this some kind of gay thing?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania