Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-17-2011, 06:09 PM

152 posts, read 320,480 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rtom45 View Post
KiOeh:
We kind of eliminated Carlisle from our search. The fact that I81 and Pa Turnpike both run thru town doesn't appeal to us.
Firefightermom:
We're kind of familiar with the area, my wife grew up in Etown (between Lancaster and Harrisburg). The eastern side of the river is just too crowded for me. I've worked at colleges most of my life, so the kids don't bother me too much, but we plan to be somewhere not too close to campus wherever we end up.
Thank you both for your suggestions.
Also try newville, newburg.... but i'd stick with shippensburg as there are some retirees there. and it's close to carlisle, harrisburg (nice artsfest), and mechanicsburg. All with good shopping and restaurants. Shippensburg college has the luhrs center with some interesting shows, my friends volunteer there and get to see some shows that way. Also a theater in gettysburg and totem pole out by mont alto. So there's some options on what to do. good luck

Last edited by cincur63; 04-17-2011 at 06:42 PM..

Old 04-17-2011, 10:56 PM

2,011 posts, read 3,864,059 times
I also have Shippensburg and Carlisle on my short list and I'll add Newburg.
It still seems a little far fetched that these shooting accidents happen as frequently as you say but I will check it out further. Thank you for your insight. It just seems that as I've read up a fair bit on Chambersburg and not just on this forum, I would have heard about these things by now. Yes, there are stupid people who do stupid things with guns, cars, knives and more. Here on LI there has been a rash of home invasions where thugs break in with guns and rob, sometimes kill the residents. My taxes here do not give me much service, I can tell you that. There's so much political corruption in Nassau County and waste, it's disgusting. It seems no matter which party is in, it continues. Schools here are fair but getting worse instead of better and police? They are over paid in Nassau county and pretty ineffectual. The over crowding and traffic are horrible. I truly hate it here.
The instance of the guy shooting his son, being released then being arrested again just because he has a lot of guns seems like poor law enforcement to me or possibly there's a lot more to the story. Were his guns legal? Was he forbidden the possession of firearms due to mental or criminal history? Simply because he had guns is no reason to arrest him unless one of these things were in place. Yes, you are saying it as you see it but maybe not as the real facts bear it out. It seems like you have a problem with people who own guns in general as you even bring up a hunting accident. This happens in every state in this Country unfortunately. They are called accidents. A little hoplophobia maybe? Whatever the case, I will indeed look further into your assertions of rampant gun crimes in Chambersburg.

Old 04-18-2011, 08:06 AM

10,220 posts, read 16,729,984 times
There doesnt seem to be much data to support the idea that chambersburg has ramoant gun crime. seems like a decent if quiet small town

Old 04-18-2011, 10:42 AM

OMG, i said so much more then about guns. I do not have a problem with law abiding citizens who use good common sense with guns. The problem i see often here is legal guns, alcohol, and not too smart all mixed in together. I guess you will only read and hear what you want. I never had my neighbors on long island sleepwalking with guns , or walking in a field and shooting themselves by accident (in both cases lucky the only person hurt was the moron with the gun). I talked about so many other things. I never said it was crime, i said alot was stupidity with a gun. which really isn't a crime. So jeep jeep with that being said , i think you'll fit right in , come on down. You'll also be very happy to know that they just introduced the castle doctrine. Again , i'll try to move away from the guns and the politics since that is NOT what this is about.

You do get alot for your taxes in NY, you may not realize it until you come here. Yes the police and teachers get paid very well on long island, but you will figure out why ...( did you not see what my co worker went through here , getting searched, car stripped etc...) The long island children get a very good education... you will see that when you move here also. Not going to try to explain it. Many who graduated do not even want to move on to college or a better life, they want to work at letterkenney army depot, the target, kmart, staples, etc.. warehouse. I don't think too many go on to super jobs. The roads get cleared very well in NY salted during ice storms etc... Here a big snow or ice can almost shut down the town. I have pictures if you want. I live in a neighborhood with police, doctors, town members etc... Last winter a plow didn't come around for 24 hours with like 2 feet of snow on the ground. But since you'll be retired that won't matter. The interstates get plowed well as that is run by the penn state dot.

So what i am really saying , is you get what you pay for as far as taxes go. I have learned that lesson by living it. I have also lived in seattle, and that was more comparable to long island as far as smart, hard working people . My property taxes here are like 3200 on long island they were 8000 (for half the size of property). But in hindsight i got what i paid for on long island. My taxes have gone up a bit in three years here and i'm sure they will continue to go up, as people move here and the need for more services climbs. I am not sure the taxes in newville, newburg etc.. but i would think they'd be better. And if you're not working and have no kids in school, you will probably like it.

Old 04-18-2011, 12:30 PM

cincur63, with all due respect, it sounds like you, with the so called good education, didn't have a clue what you were doing when you moved to a small town in PA versus living in a big city. most of your gripes are basically city versus country. your complaints are mostly that you are unhappy than legitimate. PA doesn't have the same amount of snow or ice that ny gets (last year excepted) particularly in southeastern pa. if you wanted high taxes and good snow clearance, you moved to the wrong place. new yorkers always leave their home and then ***** that it isn't the same as where they left. if you want to compare long island in apples to apples, you'd have to compare with a Philadelphia suburb. you also have to look at income taxes if you work, which in ny are substantially higher than PA. do you get what you pay for? probably not..at least for most areas of ny. chmabersburg is more similar to depew, ny. how much are they getting for their taxes?

Old 04-18-2011, 02:07 PM

OK going beyond the gun issue (and yes you were talking partly about crime) I'm not only talking about local taxes and even state tax. The real estate taxes here are out of sight. I pay well over $7,000 a year for a modest 55 year old house on a 40x100 piece of property. Do not get me started on snow removal! We had a lot of snow this winter and snow removal was horrible all over LI and I don't know how you missed the problems NYC had. 24 hours? Try 3to 5 days with many streets not seeing a plow! Please do not tell me how the schools are here and what services I get as I'm living here and you are not and as far as I can tell, you have not for some time. There are bad cops everywhere. There has been more than one cop on LI in the past 5 years or so who was stopping women and trying to get them to have sex in order to beat a ticket. You can pick and choose these instances where ever you live. DUI's? My god there are more people killed and more accidents on LI caused by drunks than you can imagine. Per capita, LI has a huge DUI problem. Seems like you have a lot of sour grapes about where you chose to move. Good luck moving to Westchester and living with the taxes there. I hope you have a very well paying job lined up. I flat cannot afford to live there and I've had a very well paying job for the past 25 years.
I've lived in this house for 32 years and the changes in the schools (gang problems, sub-par teachers, classroom crowding and on and on) after putting 3 kids through the system has gotten pretty bad. No, I cannot compare the school systems between here and there as I don't live there but I have spoken to people who do live there and this is the first I'm hearing of it. All my kids are out of school so it's a moot point to me anyway.
To me it seems as though you do not like small town life and that's fine, to each his own. I'm more than ready for it and yes I do have some experience with it as I own a summer place in up state NY and while I don't spent as much time there as I do on LI, it has shown me that that is the lifestyle I need.
It just seems as you are trying to make Chambersburg to be a terrible place, full of un-educated people who go off shooting each other and themselves. I find that hard to believe.

Old 04-18-2011, 02:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeepejeep View Post
To me it seems as though you do not like small town life and that's fine, to each his own. I'm more than ready for it and yes I do have some experience with it as I own a summer place in up state NY and while I don't spent as much time there as I do on LI, it has shown me that that is the lifestyle I need.
I think that about sums it up. it's not for everyone

Old 04-18-2011, 02:17 PM

356 posts, read 831,035 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pman View Post
cincur63, with all due respect, it sounds like you, with the so called good education, didn't have a clue what you were doing when you moved to a small town in PA versus living in a big city. most of your gripes are basically city versus country. your complaints are mostly that you are unhappy than legitimate. PA doesn't have the same amount of snow or ice that ny gets (last year excepted) particularly in southeastern pa. if you wanted high taxes and good snow clearance, you moved to the wrong place. new yorkers always leave their home and then ***** that it isn't the same as where they left. if you want to compare long island in apples to apples, you'd have to compare with a Philadelphia suburb. you also have to look at income taxes if you work, which in ny are substantially higher than PA. do you get what you pay for? probably not..at least for most areas of ny. chmabersburg is more similar to depew, ny. how much are they getting for their taxes?

I have to agree with everything you said. (Except one, nwpa gets a ton of snow, lol, but they are very good at removing it too ).

Old 04-18-2011, 04:41 PM

Yes, pman, income taxes are way less and PA does not tax retirement income, NY does. All in all this area of PA if not Chambersburg it's self seems like a pretty good fit for me.

Last edited by jeepejeep; 04-18-2011 at 05:28 PM..

Old 04-18-2011, 05:01 PM

Pman you live in philly?? enough said. i did with my education look into it. But if it were not for working with such smart people i would have fled long ago. I did not want it to be like ***** long island. I wanted a nice place to live and this isn't it. Unless i want to sit home and do nothing all the time.

jeep jeep, i know you are the one with sour grapes, as i was there at one time, not anymore. I have learned the grass isn't always greener on the other side. it was in seattle, it isn't here. I got what i paid for. My well paying job will paid for my move here. so i didn't waste much money, now if the house market would ever pick up, i could sell. I have said in my posts that i've made many friends here and will come back to visit, i have said that i liked it here, it just wasn't my cup of tea. You seem to think i'm argueing with you , i am not. I can go on about all the good and bad, but i won't because apparantly , again , you only read and heard what you wanted. Like i said you'll fit in, come on down, expect to make a ton of friends and have a good time.

So they even have a word for this mentality here , it's called pensyltuckey, please look it up on urban dictionary.com so you know. i am not making up stories. You can't make this up.

I have plenty of money to relocate to NY and pay taxes and live the life i once enjoyed. The wonderful, intelligent, funny, down to earth people of ny. I think i understand why you encounter so many rude and unfriendly people in NY, you reap what you sow. (i still read NY news , so i know all about the crime , the criminals are the ones with the guns in ny, opposite of here. I am not afraid of guns, i have a pretty pink one, but i'm smart enough to know when to use it. NY and many others couldn't keep up with the record snowfall this year, but thank god we didn't get it here, i wouldn't have left home for days, at least in NYC you can get to a store if snowed in. House break in's , i'm sure you are not a target on li as i never was. You either need to be a drug dealer, or uba loaded with jewels and cash)

enjoy pensyltuckey. I am sorry i leaked out the truth.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania