Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-18-2011, 07:02 PM

10,227 posts, read 16,811,894 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cincur63 View Post
Pman you live in philly?? enough said.
really? doesn't seem to mean anything. I've lived in a small town and big city. I got along fine with both.

I'm glad you found out rural pennsylvania is rural. please don't leak it out.

Last edited by toobusytoday; 05-01-2011 at 05:44 PM.. Reason: removed personal comment

Old 04-19-2011, 05:09 AM

955 posts, read 4,087,917 times
Nice to see the post was resurected, but could we get the discussion back on track?

Old 04-19-2011, 06:53 AM

2,011 posts, read 3,877,477 times
You're %100 correct. Anyone else currently living in Chambersburg or know about it who can give us prospective residents ideas? Thanks in advance.

Old 04-19-2011, 07:43 AM

152 posts, read 321,703 times
chambersburg is a lovely town to live in . Our property taxes are fairly low, our schools are excellent, we rate very high in the standardized tests each year. The crime is non existent. The people are all so friendly and smart. They will go out of their way to help you out. You can sleep with your doors unlocked. you can leave your keys in the car if you want, it is so darn safe here. We attract only the finest police officers in the country, they make sure every one abides by the law. There are no drugs here. There is no teen pregnancy or out of wedlock children born here. Our groceries are the most reasonably priced in the northeast. We have excellent weather, we have long dry cool winters with no snow. Our summers average about 80 degrees with no humidity. There is every restaurant and store you could ever need here. The health care is top notch and all the best doctors are attracted to this area. You have so much to do, parks, fairs festivals, art shows, theater , concerts, malls. Keep your calenders handy so you can plan a fun filled year. The town takes such good care of things, they even shovel my sidewalk if we happen to get that once in 10 year snowstorm. Please let us know when you will be moving so we can all be off from work to assist you. we look forward to meeting you

Old 04-19-2011, 05:35 PM

13,254 posts, read 33,507,910 times
Terms of Service reminder //www.city-data.com/forumtos.html

Quote:
Be civil, no personal attacks, flaming, or insults. We may attack ideas (politely) but we do not attack the speaker of the idea. Be careful with your words, there is a point where being direct crosses a line into blunt, in-your-face hostility. Please, report bad posts instead of engaging in flame wars on the boards. Insulting another member or a moderator will not be tolerated anywhere on this website. This includes Direct Messages and Reputation Comments.

If you disagree with something, say so, but explain WHY.

Stay on topic. Attempts to hi-jack threads by switching topics or going off topic will be deleted and infractions issued. This is not a chat room - when people hi-jack threads by posting messages that are of interest to only few people, the threads often stop being useful discussions of initial topics.

Hate speech, racism or bashing of ANY sort will NOT be tolerated. Rude posts will be removed and infractions issued. Do not quote or talk to trolls or your posts will also be deleted. Use the report feature instead.
and
Quote:
Our opinions on a location or issue are just that, opinions. Highly subjective. Personal preferences. Quirks, even. Leave wiggle room for dialogue, others may not see things the same as you, or been there as long as you, and any one of us can be wrong. Pouncing on someone you disagree with runs contrary to the spirit of this board and its members. We are here to help each other.

Any Questions on how to use this site? See this.

Realtors, See This.

Moderator - Lehigh Valley, NEPA, Harrisburg, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, Delaware, Education and Colleges and Universities.

When I post in bold red, that is Moderator action and per the TOS can be discussed only via Direct Message.

Last edited by toobusytoday; 04-19-2011 at 06:30 PM..

Old 04-19-2011, 09:11 PM

Quote:
chambersburg is a lovely town to live in . Our property taxes are fairly low, our schools are excellent, we rate very high in the standardized tests each year. The crime is non existent. The people are all so friendly and smart. They will go out of their way to help you out. You can sleep with your doors unlocked. you can leave your keys in the car if you want, it is so darn safe here. We attract only the finest police officers in the country, they make sure every one abides by the law. There are no drugs here. There is no teen pregnancy or out of wedlock children born here. Our groceries are the most reasonably priced in the northeast. We have excellent weather, we have long dry cool winters with no snow. Our summers average about 80 degrees with no humidity. There is every restaurant and store you could ever need here. The health care is top notch and all the best doctors are attracted to this area. You have so much to do, parks, fairs festivals, art shows, theater , concerts, malls. Keep your calenders handy so you can plan a fun filled year. The town takes such good care of things, they even shovel my sidewalk if we happen to get that once in 10 year snowstorm. Please let us know when you will be moving so we can all be off from work to assist you. we look forward to meeting you
I hope you all realize i just posted this to please the others, this is nothing what it's like. I have lived in small towns near seattle washington, and a small town on the north fork of long island. The other two were very similar , this town is not. Be careful , the grass isn't always greener. You pay high taxes in Washington and NY , but you get really good services. If you don't need them services then come here. Your taxes are just a write off on your taxes. People don't want to hear the truth . Some retirees have too much time on their hands. Pman and some others here have never lived here. thank you

Old 04-19-2011, 09:37 PM

Quote:
Our opinions on a location or issue are just that, opinions. Highly subjective. Personal preferences. Quirks, even. Leave wiggle room for dialogue, others may not see things the same as you, or been there as long as you, and any one of us can be wrong. Pouncing on someone you disagree with runs contrary to the spirit of this board and its members. We are here to help each other.

Old 04-19-2011, 09:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeepejeep View Post
We're also considering retiring to the Chambersburg area. We're looking for a fairly large piece of land in the 10-20 acre range. What are taxes like in this area? I has got to be better than Long Island, NY. We have a 40X100 plot and pay over $7,000 here. Thank you.
I can now understand why you want to leave, valley stream is really a very busy area. I would think you'd like it anywhere in Pennsylvania or new hampshire too

Old 04-20-2011, 02:13 AM

7,268 posts, read 10,585,214 times
Quote:
I hope you all realize i just posted this to please the others, this is nothing what it's like. I have lived in small towns near seattle washington, and a small town on the north fork of long island. The other two were very similar , this town is not. Be careful , the grass isn't always greener. You pay high taxes in Washington and NY , but you get really good services. If you don't need them services then come here. Your taxes are just a write off on your taxes. People don't want to hear the truth . Some retirees have too much time on their hands. Pman and some others here have never lived here. thank you
I apologize if my initial post was too dismissive of your opinions and off-topic, but my point was basically just to keep things in perspective. Of course, the experiences you share should not be considered less valid simply because they've been negative. However, when you compare small towns in suburban Long Island and suburban Seattle to a relatively remote small town in rural PA, I think the biggest difference you'd find is fewer amenities of more major metro areas, less affluence, and unfortunately lower levels of educational attainment. In other words, I'm actually validating your opinion but also trying to offer some insights as to why not all small towns are the same. There's a broader context that needs to be considered.

Old 04-20-2011, 07:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duderino View Post
I apologize if my initial post was too dismissive of your opinions and off-topic, but my point was basically just to keep things in perspective. Of course, the experiences you share should not be considered less valid simply because they've been negative. However, when you compare small towns in suburban Long Island and suburban Seattle to a relatively remote small town in rural PA, I think the biggest difference you'd find is fewer amenities of more major metro areas, less affluence, and unfortunately lower levels of educational attainment. In other words, I'm actually validating your opinion but also trying to offer some insights as to why not all small towns are the same. There's a broader context that needs to be considered.
I do know that, and the towns i lived in were smaller than chambersburg,yet we did not have the negative things i encounter here. There are plenty of amenites within driving distance, i have said that. I have said i like it here, and will have friends to return to visit. The one thing you cannot control in this area, is the intelligence and common sense and mentality of the locals. I work with people who have shown me these things, they taught me the word pensyltucky and HD (humdinger), that is how they refer to the people they have grown up around. So we make fun of my accent and rude NY'ers and we have fun talking of the locals. It's ok to make fun with things that are true. I should realize that when someone wants to relocate, they really don't want the truth. They really only want the good to come out, and really nothing anyone says on this board will make them change their minds. (i know , i have been there, i should have been more intuitive as to what i was told.) thank you
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania