Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-20-2011, 09:16 AM

152 posts, read 322,143 times

Advertisements

It's a great place for retirees as long as you have a good sense of humor. Be careful with the local doctors though. Research is needed if you need anything major done.

Old 04-20-2011, 10:41 AM

sperlings best places to live has a tool where you can compare cities and they have alot of stats, if that's more what you would like to use.

Old 04-20-2011, 01:40 PM

Here's a list by medical specialty of what is available here or nearby:
Pediatrics - local - if a pediatric specialty then out of area
OB/GYN - local - preemies are out of area
Neurology- some local , most prefer out of area
Neurosurgery - out of area
Cariac - good cardiology group but limited in what they can do, can do caths and stents. Open heart surgery, bypass, valve replacements, EP studies, Pacemakers, ablatations all have to go out of area.
General surgery - avoid unless dr carter, otherwise go out of area.
Orthopedic - most procedures can be done locally, long waiting list to get in.
Rheumatology - most go out of area, and still a long waiting list.
podiatry - local
opthomology- local
cancer - out of area
blood disorders - local
Any type of transplants - must go out of area
Urology - local mostly , some go out of area
GI - local mostly, some go out of area
Lungs/pulmonology - some local, many don't like, so go out of area
ENT- local , some go out of area
general practice - mixed reviews, complaints of having trouble getting appointments, finding one they like etc... very mixed reviews (just like the boards)
Diabetes - could be better, but many stay local

Old 04-20-2011, 03:26 PM

Some more info:

Gas on this date is for regular $3.79 a gallon
the local papers are the public opinion and the record herald (more waynesboro)

Giant , one of the local supermarkets, has a great selection, boars head cold cuts, good bakery, even decent seafood from what i'm been told. Most here say they are expensive. I think they are fair priced , but for every $100 in groceries you spend, you get 10 cents off per gallon of gas at their gas station. Giant here is also know as martins or stop and shop in other parts of the country.

There is a small local market in chambersburg, open like fri and sat. You can get fresh food there. the mennonites sell alot of things there and their baked goods are wonderful (pumpkin roll!! chocolate cake with peanut butter frosting, whoopie pies etc...) and they have hot food also. In the back is like a little flea market.

The mennonites are a wonderful group of folks, i work with some and i am impressed with their simple thinking but that they are so willing to learn about others ways. They love to learn of other cultures and it's refreshing to see. The amish are mainly in shippensburg.

The whole area is surrounded by farms, so often you will smell them, some say you will get used to it. Again, i am not criticizing it's what is true.

There are some folks here that say breakfast , dinner , then supper... in other words they don't use the word lunch. So if you're eating lunch and someone refers to it as dinner ...don't be confused.

Some folks talk in a different "dialect" and can be difficult to understand. The locals say oh that's just dutch... don't worry , you can also get used to that.

Old 04-20-2011, 03:32 PM

Again:

Closing on a home was very simple. In my former states you needed a lawyer, here you just go to the real estate's office and close. It was much less complicated here.

There are no helmet laws for motorcycles here.

They have not outlawed cell phones and driving here yet, but south of the border in maryland they have.

Old 04-20-2011, 03:41 PM

outlets:
Hagerstown has a huge outlet
gettysburg has a medium sized outlet
Hershey has a medium sized outlet
Lancaster has the kings of all outlets.

gettysburg also has alot to do, very touristy. This area is rich in civil war history and it can really be entertaining to try to follow it all.

Lancaster has two theaters also , one for religious (sight and sound) and one for general shows , american music (?)

There is a small theater in chambersburg, but not too happening.
The luhrs center at shippensburg university is pretty good.
The totem pole past mont alto is ok.
There are some shows at hershey park stadium, and also hockey.
Hershey park does alot of seasonal events also (halloween and xmas)

Old 04-20-2011, 04:31 PM

Two other land/ geological type things to know:

Radon gas - you will have some here, usually done with a home inspection for a test and can be remedied i think.

Marcellus shale / gas/ fracking - becoming popular here, been in the paper here alot. I have not fully investigated it, but you should if you plan to buy land in the south central pa area. i will attempt to provide a link , i've also been told to watch a movie called gasland, a documentry from HBO. I am not an expert on this , nor do i pretend to be one. but i think it's something to beware of.
Latest Videos - TIME.com

Old 04-20-2011, 04:48 PM

Some date on the local schools, so you can see what i'm talking about:

City-data.com school rating (using weighted 2009 test average as compared to other schools in Pennsylvania) from 0 (worst) to 100 (best) is 69.

Pennsylvania Dept of Education - Academic Achievement Report

They had full day kindergarten since like 2007, now due to budget constraints they are considering cutting back to half day kindergarten, since the residents don't think that's important.

Old 04-20-2011, 05:23 PM

right after i posted about the fracking i hear on the news about an explosion at one in bradford county ? not near this area , but interesting to learn more about and then i read the following article. This seems to not be in the direct area we are discussing, but something to be aware of.

Fracking Wastewater Disposal Process To Be Altered In Pennsylvania

Old 04-21-2011, 07:24 AM

as far as medical, i forgot one
kidney/dialysis - local and good

also get an ambulance club membership, you go to the local fire dept where you live , it's like $100 a year, this way if you ever need an ambulance you won't get hit with a big bill. (it's worth the investment). They don't do this all over the country so it may be new to you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania