Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-29-2010, 05:31 AM

955 posts, read 4,088,644 times

Advertisements

My wife and I spent a long weekend in Shippensburg this past week. Looking at houses, walking the town and the college campus. We're considering this area for possible retirement location in a couple years. Shippensburg seemed too quiet for us.
Which leads me to my question about Chambersburg. Its a larger town, seems to have more going on, and is still in the same area. So my question is this: was my first impression correct? What advantages or disadvantages does Chambersburg have compared to Shippensburg?

Old 06-29-2010, 08:25 AM

4,277 posts, read 11,782,509 times
Chambersburg will have some more stores than Shippensburg - the mall's in between the two. Wilson College is pretty small without much effect good or ill.

Maybe think about Carlisle as an alternative - seems to have more tasteful development with more of a sense of preservation vs. just plain sprawl around Chbg. Dickinson College, the U.S. Army War College, and proximity to Harrisburg offer probably more cultural flavor too. Many Army officers seem to retire to the area after seeing a lot of the country and the world. Carlisle has its own Target but the next level up in shopping is only about 10 miles away.

Old 06-29-2010, 09:10 PM

1,312 posts, read 4,774,816 times
Chambersburg is larger than Ship and has more shopping, restaurants, etc. If you choose to live in Ship, you will end up driving to Chbg for most of your shopping, and Hagerstown or Carlisle for more stores and restaurants. We chose Chbg over Ship just over 2 years ago, but we were considering job commutes and school districts as well.

You also don't want to live by Ship Univ...I am always reading in the paper about how the Ship students are noisy and about the destruction they cause to local lawns, etc. I've never read anything like that about Wilson College, but of course it's much smaller.

If you would like more specific info on Chbg, please feel free to send me PM and I will try to answer whatever I can for you.

Old 06-30-2010, 05:28 AM

955 posts, read 4,088,644 times
KiOeh:
We kind of eliminated Carlisle from our search. The fact that I81 and Pa Turnpike both run thru town doesn't appeal to us.
Firefightermom:
We're kind of familiar with the area, my wife grew up in Etown (between Lancaster and Harrisburg). The eastern side of the river is just too crowded for me. I've worked at colleges most of my life, so the kids don't bother me too much, but we plan to be somewhere not too close to campus wherever we end up.
Thank you both for your suggestions.

Old 08-06-2010, 12:02 PM

2,011 posts, read 3,877,955 times
We're also considering retiring to the Chambersburg area. We're looking for a fairly large piece of land in the 10-20 acre range. What are taxes like in this area? I has got to be better than Long Island, NY. We have a 40X100 plot and pay over $7,000 here. Thank you.

Old 02-19-2011, 08:58 AM

152 posts, read 321,738 times
Default I am from Long island

I guess it depends on your age, but i find there is really not alot to do here. If you just want to buy land and build a house , you may like it. Y
You have to travel to find things to do. I usually don't mind doing the driving, but you may. The mall here is very small, but if you go to hagerstown, md, or even west virginia you can find alot of stores/shops/ malls.

The people are not the brightest individuals in the country that's for sure. They definitely have a southern mentality... even though it's just north of the mason dixon line.

I do prefer the people of NY more then here, but i'm in my fourties. I find that the work environment is not as employee friendly here. They actually give people "a day on the street" as they say if they call in sick too much (this doesn't make sense to me , as they probably like a day off?), or if they do something not to their liking. I have a good job and make a good living here. I am looking to move back to upstate NY though as i think that may be more to my liking. They are also big on what i call "tattletaling". The whole he said , she said nonsense. Where in NY you did your job and went about your business. None of this Joe was making a personal phone call and i worked so hard nonsense. (in ny the tattler is usually not to be believed as they have an ulterior motive).

All in all , it is a good place. I have made many friends here, and i may come back to visit. But it's just not my cup of tea. (I have talked to other NY'ers and they agree on the above).

Old 02-19-2011, 09:54 AM

It sounds pretty good to me. I'm sure upstate NY living is way different from LI so that would be more to my liking as well, but the taxes in NY are ridiculous no matter where you live (worse on LI for sure) and I'm very Conservative politically so no where in NY suits me as it is such a blue State. "Southern mentality" works for me way better than Liberal mentality.
The taxes, overcrowding nasty people (in Manhattan where I worked) have gotten to me and I have to get out. As for people talking he said, she said, I never found that so prevalent than where I worked! It was a constant rumor mill so nothing new there lol.
We need a slower pace of life, more small town. Chambersburg seems like a good possibility. We will be visiting probably in the spring/early summer to try and get a feel of the place.

Old 04-16-2011, 12:03 PM

well when i was saying redneck mentality or southern mentality i wasn't speaking politically... i was talking about that they don't value education (taxes) and think it's ok to shop in walmart for the cheapest possible junk. They like to drink, hunt, have lots of guns which create alot of stories in the paper about people shooting themselves while sleepwalking, shooting their wife as they thought she was an intruder, shooting their neighbor in the back as he was walking away and almost off the property and killing him, etc....
Yes , NY has alot of taxes, but when you come here you will understand why NY has high taxes. The schools are awful, i cannot believe how simple these folks are. I cannot begin to tell you how many things i've had to explain in many terms to get them to understand. You often have to dumb it down.
The roads don't get plowed well during snow, or salted during ice storms. This leads to either no work, or if you have to work like i do, and my suv won't get through the snow, you have to find someone with a bigger truck to pick you up for work. They often have to pay employees to stay in a nearby hotel, since they know the roads will not be cleared.

Garbage pickup is usually one day a week and with little recycling , you have more garbage to throw out. I didn't mind recycling (regardless of whether it works or not), you just have less garbage, and more clean garbage (the recyclables)
The police are not real professional, my friend got pulled over on her way home from work (in a professional field), they were looking for a similar car (?) and wanted her permission to search her and her car, if she said no they would call the judge and get a search warrant. She agreed, they frisked her ( a very cute 25 year old) and completely emptied everything out of her car ( car seat, baby clothes she had packed up for donations) and then they found nothing , and just drove away and left her to put everything back, and this was at 11:30 at night.

So you get what you pay for. I don't have kids in school, but would be worried if i did. The mercersburg private school seems to be top notch.

The DUI rate is very high here , there is nothing to do , so they all join the VFW, KOC, american legion, etc... and go there to get drunk. There are only like 5 bars otherwise. You can't buy beer in a store, so they go to the bars for them (or you go to a beer distributor).

There are a large percentage of people on SSDI , or disability because they are obese and diabetic and can't work. Yet they can buy nice guns and go hunting every chance they can get. (if you can hunt, i'm pretty sure you can work). Real tree camo is the main style of clothing around here.

I like the carlise or mechanicsburg area, even lancaster area for the people are more intelligent and you can have decent conversations with them.

Yes, you have backstabbing in every job and gossip. But the managers here believe the gossip and give you a day on the street for it. In NY if they didn't see it, or it couldn't be proven. It didn't happen. I have not been the victim of this scam, but have seen it done to my co workers, and can't believe it. The companies have alot of control over employees here, you have no rights as an employee. They give tickets in employee parking lots ??? . They think if they say jump, you should say "how high?". I can't really explain it, i've never seen anything like this before. And it's not just my job. It's every job here.

well good luck in your decision, but like i said , i wasn't talking politics, that's a whole different ball game.

Old 04-16-2011, 08:09 PM

Wow, you need to move, I think. Do you really believe people are shooting each other all over the place? I have a lot of guns and have for many, many years, funny thing, I've never shot anyone.
You have some pretty wacky, pre-conceived notions, it seems. I really can't take what you say seriously.
If peoples behavior was as bad as you say, Chambersburg would be in the news every day.

Old 04-17-2011, 04:56 PM

I am moving and yes, i can give you a list of the daily accidental shootings.It's not all over, only where people mix poor judgement and guns. Maybe you'll fit right in. i'll name a few, one guy shot himself while sleepwalking, one guy accidentally discharged his gun in his sleep and it went into to next trailer over. a man killed his wife as he thought she was an intruder. a man killed his neighbor as he was almost completely off his property and had his back to the shooter. A man killed his son, the police arrested him, let him out on bail, then brought in a whole bunch of depts to rearrest him as he was known to have alot of weapons. an elderly man shot his wife as he was cleaning his gun. a man fell while hunting and shot himself... i don't know if you want me to go on. It is in the paper almost weekly,I can give you more examples, the local paper is the public opinion, read it online, don't listen to me. I do not have "wacky and " pre conceived" notions and i have no idea what you are talking about. I am saying it as i see it (darn that NYer is coming out of me)

on the next point of taxes , which was really the main point of my post since you said you want to get away from the high taxes (and you choose to only hear what you wanted....maybe then again you will fit in)... the taxes in NY are high because you get better services... better education, better police, better garbage pickup , better road maintainence. It does show in the types of people you will encounter hear (ie.. not smart enough to put the guns away when drinking or sleepwalking etc...) (not smart enough to NOT drive drunk...and there are no cabs here.) If you are ok with dealing with this type of mentality , then you may like it. I work with alot of educated people, that is probably why i have been able to make it here so long.

I was going to suggest you look into newburg or shippensburg also as they have more property and farms up that way. shippensburg has a little college town feel. newburg only has one traffic light (or red light as they say). plus you'll be closer to carlisle or mechanicsburg for shopping and things to do. There is a hockey team in hershey and sometimes alot of events there. carlisle has alot of car shows if you're a motor head type. It's pretty well known for that. this way you can live in the country but be closer to some activities.

I was trying to be helpful, and i'm sorry that the people here do these things i said,i don't make it up, i wish i could stop them...lol good luck with your move, you don't have to believe me, but look into the other towns i mentioned. I will be moving back to westchester or orange county as soon as i can sell my home (in the snooty neighborhood here as they say).

Last edited by cincur63; 04-17-2011 at 05:05 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania