U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-08-2006, 07:41 PM

1,153 posts, read 3,384,523 times

Advertisements

Is Everett In The Bedford County Area?..........is It A Nice Area To Relocate To?.........how Are There School Systems?........any Info Would Be Greatly Appreciated!!!!!!!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-08-2006, 09:56 PM

6 posts, read 18,980 times
ugh, bedford is pretty dead. the people are nice but the town is very factory like/industry like my pa.rents have a place down there but i try not to go there when possible becuase its depressing. its about 45 mins south of altoona and my friends down there drive 45 mins to altoona to hang out and thats not sayin much becuase altoona so has nothing to do.

Old 08-11-2006, 07:05 PM

1 posts, read 3,967 times
Hi Deeds,

My Grandparents had a cottage on the Juniata River right outside of Everett. It is your typical old fashion town, everything closes down by 6/7pm. There is not much to do in town, but there is plenty to do depending on your location. My family absolutely loves spending every weekend over at the cottage. Nothing can beat it. Nature, the Juniata River and Friends (or just to get away from everyday lviing). -- Point is, you need to love nature, respect your neighbor and be willing to travel if you want night life. Everett is a quaint little town that has lots to offer the nature lover or someone looking for an escape of the everyday mundane chores. I do not know much about the school system or the local government though.

TrysMC
Windber, PA

Old 06-26-2007, 01:33 PM

4 posts, read 20,661 times
Everett is a nice place. I have relatives who live there. The iron bridge is named after my cousin.

Old 01-17-2009, 01:30 PM

2 posts, read 8,098 times
everett is small but theres alot of friendly people and its right in between bedford and breezewood. i lived in the everett area all my life so im used to the slow pace of things around here. everett's schools are good there are alot of activities to do for all kids. theres a bunch of churches and thats the best way you can meet new people. in everett people dont really care what you look like or they may never even pay attention to you at all but were all friendly and nice. theres not that many stores in everett so we either have to go to bedford which is like 10 minutes away or altoona which is about 45 minutes to an hour away. everett has alot of history because its right along the lincoln highway (route 30). its small and quiet but its a great place to live and raise a family.

the high school band in everett is great as well as the sports teams and other activities...if u dont like competition its probably not the best school for you because everett school district is competitive but we know that winning isnt everything

Old 01-18-2009, 03:19 PM

1,185 posts, read 3,821,843 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by deeds View Post
Is Everett In The Bedford County Area?..........is It A Nice Area To Relocate To?.........how Are There School Systems?........any Info Would Be Greatly Appreciated!!!!!!!
FWIW, my parents own a home in Fulton county which is about 30 miles from Everett.

Yes, Everett is in Bedford County.

The area is gorgeous (that's coming from a guy who has had is share of trips internationally), all year round. Although as others have said, they do roll up the sidewalks around 5 PM.

I do not know the details of the school system, but here is a link to the district's website.

My frame of reference for things to do is more geared to some quirky things like Gravity Hill and places for nature photography such as the Abandoned PA Turnpike Tunnels. And, coming from MYC, I love the rides to Baltimore and Washington, DC. But if you hit the Bedford Tourism I'm sure you'll find good information.

Hope this helps.

Old 01-19-2009, 08:03 AM

4,270 posts, read 10,805,233 times
One good thing about Everett is that you still have a choice of two old fashioned hardware stores on Main Street, so if one doesn't have it, the other one across the street will.

My in-laws have been part of a long running legal battle with the Everett Area School District regarding the closing of an elementary school in a remote part of that territory. They won't say much good about it. That particular issue probably wouldn't have much relevance to those living nearer town.

Old 01-25-2009, 08:48 PM

24 posts, read 96,492 times
Reading some of the above responses has been pretty funny because I'm betting most people have either driven past my in-laws home business in Everett, PA, had some contact with them via their day jobs, or are related to them in a direct or round-about way.

As we are also considering a move to Everett, here are the pros/cons as I see them (to be clear, I'm an outsider, raised in the Deep South, but having travelled thru/spent time in small towns in PA for years) -

Everett is small, for sure, but it has many advantages. For one, it offers country living but keeps you within a day's drive of many larger cities and several states. Although it can look dreary and depressing if you're not used to the 'factory-town' look, it's not as bad as some small towns north of Altoona. The newspaper is not high-end and covers mostly local happenings, but you still have the advantages of the everyday basics (cable, fiber-optic, satellite, etc.) to fill in the gaps. Jobs are not plentiful; there have been a lot of recent cuts/losses lately, especially within the auto industry, but that's to be expected with the current economy. Genealogy and historical resources can be both plentiful and difficult to come by (depending on what you're looking for), and the nightlife seems limited to your own home, plus local activities in Bedford and Breezewood. If you are not from the North, be prepared for snow because there's a lot of it and for Fall Foliage Festivals when the leaves change color. And while Breezewood can offer more of that 24-hour feel, don't be shocked if someone says you can get great food from Sheetz (gas station). There is a Wal-Mart, but there are also still a lot of mom-and-pop stores. I've seen plenty of older people living there, but there also seems to be a younger generation evolving, which may improve school quality in the long-run. Everett-Bedford Area high school offers college courses as well as vo-tech training, and while I'm not sure of current test scores, it seems to hold its own pretty well.

There's something to be said about living someplace where deer and wild goats (yes, really) are nearby and the emphasis is on the simple rather than more, more, more. I've learned to relax there, something this big-city girl has never successfully accomplished anywhere else. And while in the winter, the entire state of PA can be best described as 'grey', Everett and Bedford are quite beautiful in the spring and summer. If the Juniata River is too small for your fishing/recreation needs, you can still head north to Raystown Lake which is also impressive or south to the Chesapeake Bay.

The town motto is something like 'The Little Town That Could', and that probably best says it all.

Hope this helps a little.

Old 04-07-2009, 01:03 AM

3 posts, read 9,625 times
Smile Everett - quaint quiet little town

My grandparents owned a plumbing business in town for many years and the whole family was raised on the mountain there in town. Gorsuch Street is named after them. I haven't been there for a good many years, but keep in touch with my aunt and uncle - like others have said, the streets roll up at night, and church is the best place to meet people. If you're looking for parties and night life - this is NOT the place for you, but if you love nature and the mountains and don't mind snow in the winter - it's awesome - Some of my best childhood memories are from there....watching the little creek that ran behind their property and throwing pebbles in it - My grandparents are buried at the United Methodist Church which was just across the road from their house.

Old 04-08-2009, 07:22 PM

93 posts, read 302,310 times
Wild goats.... now that i have never heard of...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania