U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-09-2006, 07:07 PM

165 posts, read 497,455 times

Advertisements

Hi,

As a follow-up to my thinking of moving to either the Allentown or Philly areas: How does PA rank as far as the school system? Florida ranks somewhat poorly, especially on the elementary level, and it has been a nightmare for our son who just entered K.

Thanks
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-10-2006, 05:56 AM

1,942 posts, read 8,280,518 times
Default Ex-Philly teacher

I taught in Philly for 2 years, after living there all my life. I have 2 children- and I put them in Catholic schools, if that is a hint. What good children are exposed to by other children-it's a disgrace. Check out the report card scores on the district website. There are a handful of good public schools, but you have to live in that neighborhood. It is a shame that I choose to pay money when there is free public education out there, but I was too afraid to use it for my children. After what I had witnessed: we do have some very poor neighborhoods with a lot of crime/violence/neglectful parents (that is actually all over), and while the schools in those neighborhoods are deplorable (I TRIED to teach in one of those but wound up only being a security guard)...those children are bussed into all of the other schools.

Old 08-10-2006, 08:54 AM

976 posts, read 3,703,075 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spongedaddy
Hi,

As a follow-up to my thinking of moving to either the Allentown or Philly areas: How does PA rank as far as the school system? Florida ranks somewhat poorly, especially on the elementary level, and it has been a nightmare for our son who just entered K.

Thanks
My wife's family that lives in West Palm Beach, Ocala and Fort Lauderdale are trying to get out of Florida for some of those reasons. Some are staying, but most are leaving. My brother-in-law and his wife are moving to TN, and by other brother-in-law and his wife are moving to Hilliard, Ohio outside of Columbus. They all want their kids to have a better education. The price of living is getting crazy down there, and hurricanes are getting out of control. I was suprised to still see damage in downtown WPB just this July. School systems rank 49th in the country. Pennsylvania has a great school system overall, its ranked 23rd i believe. Not bad for a state of 12 million. I left PA about two years ago because my job moved me to Ohio. But PA is a great state. I think you will like it.

Old 08-10-2006, 08:31 PM

1,330 posts, read 4,941,523 times
Not all school districts in PA are created equal...

But I think that any larger city like Philly and Allentown is going to have their issues with education in the less desireable districts. It is kind of self perpetuating...bad crime, bad schools, bad reputation, noone wants to go teach there.

Old 08-11-2006, 05:41 AM

221 posts, read 964,052 times
Default Depends

I think it all depends upon what you are looking for in a school district. I taught third grade this past year in a "good district", and I can tell you that the MAJORITY of the year was spent testing the kids- and prepping them for the PSSA. Third graders! Yes, it was not inner city, the kids were nice and most (certainly not all, not by a long shot) of the parents were OK, but I believe, like everything, YOU as a parent must really, really look into what you want out of your child's school. Public education is so different now. We don't teach thinking skills or creative problem solving- we teach what is on the state test. Trust me on this. The days of creativity in the classroom to meet individual needs are LONG gone with the wind. But, like anything, you need to stay on top of your child's education. Go visit you kids' school, join the PTA, ask questions. Please know that most of what we do is dictated to us, and, like you, we have no idea why we are being asked to do it!

Ooh, that sounded bitter. I'm not, I'm just telling you what I have experienced from the other side of the desk.

Old 08-12-2006, 05:09 PM

165 posts, read 497,455 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldiebutgoodie26
Ooh, that sounded bitter. I'm not, I'm just telling you what I have experienced from the other side of the desk.
Not bitter at all. Our system is challenged right now. I just tried to make a career change to transition and I could tell some horror stories. I suppose every state will have good and bad with some states having more "good" schools.

Old 08-14-2006, 03:57 PM

179 posts, read 1,031,351 times
there are a number of good systems in the phila area I would suggest checking out this site for more info, stats. www.schoolmatters.com

Old 09-01-2006, 08:14 PM

84 posts, read 403,464 times
The Parkland SD and the East Penn SD in the Lehigh Valley are both very good. They consistently rank high on PSSA's (state testing) and there are tons of new housing developments going up nonstop (so many people moving in to these two districts). I taught in Parkland for 7 years and as teachers we were definitely expected to stay up to date with new educational/technological advancements. Parents were always amazed at how much school had changed since they went, and how much the students were learning at a MUCH younger age.

GraysMom

Old 09-02-2006, 06:20 AM

21 posts, read 85,451 times
Oldiebutgoodie26 is absolutely correct. I teach in a highly rated public school district in PA and I am horrified that teachers have been relegated to do nothing more than prep kids for the PSSA by taking and scoring practice test after practice test. Every spare second is spend scoring, recording scores on spreadsheets, and going to meetings where the scores are analyzed. I cannot wait until my own children graduate because we are headed down the worst possible path.

Old 09-02-2006, 07:12 AM

1,794 posts, read 3,134,165 times
Default DELCO Schools

You said that your were interested in the Philly "area." I can tell you that the DELCO schools of Radnor, Wallingford/Swarthmore, Marple-Newtown and Haverford rank very well. ANd of course, the schools on the Main Line are up there - but the housing costs are obscene, so there's a trade-off.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania