Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-18-2010, 02:36 AM

5 posts, read 9,846 times

Advertisements

my X applied for first time PA unemployment on the 2nd of June 2010...He owes back support of 7000 and probation has told us this will come out of his PA unemployment...we still have not received anything....does anyone know exactly how long this takes? for first time applications when do they get their first check...we were told unemployment is backed up...Also I understand that there is some issue with extensions and such...but can anyone tell me if and when he does get his unemployment---for how long can we expect it? how long is the original time, 26 weeks?---since he never told us he lost his job and that we would not be getting any support, I highly doubt he will ever tell us when the unemployment runs out...thanks for any help we can get here
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-21-2010, 09:35 PM

712 posts, read 1,960,692 times
You need to call your lawyer and domestic relations.

Domestic Relations will take care of the situation for u and will probably put a lean on his unemployment comp.

I would figure one week - waiting week, two weeks, then a call in on the first Sunday after that and then another week until he see's a check.

It should be of no concern to you - when he gets his first check - because the Domestic Relations is the ones that should be collecting the money for you and not the other way around.

Old 07-22-2010, 12:52 AM

Default Thank-you Bob

I thank-you for responding...it has been nine weeks since we have seen any money from him...eight weeks since he applied for unemployment...I have contacted my attorney but her response was~~~it is one thing to get a court order and another to get compliance with that order...we can not get food stamps because we have to state the amount the court has ordered him to pay us (which gives us to much total income)...we are living in a hotel because the State told him to pay the mortgage but he did not...for two years...and we were not notified because our name was not on the mortgage...only when it was time to evict us did the State say anything to us...I do not know what to do now...we have no money and this guy is not paying...I though his unemployment checks would be garnished automatically but after eight weeks I am not certain

Old 07-22-2010, 08:06 AM

712 posts, read 1,960,692 times
You would have to have some money from some place to live in a hotel.

When you found that you were going to be evicted - you should have found a place to live.

First stop would have been kin folks, second stop should have been friends and the third stop should have been an apartment or even a mobile home.

You telling us that you were thrown out of your house and you did nothing to try to pay the bills on your own tells me that you were just sitting around, waiting for the checks to come in and that you are not working and trying to support yourself.

Domestic Relations is the place to go to get what you want.

When they cannot collect the money, they go after all the licenses he has.

Professional licenses like building contractors, personal licenses like drivers license, hunting license, fishing license.

With him being laid off - he is going to have a hard time finding another job - this late date in the game.

One thing that comes to mind is what I saw on a news report one night on the television. People actually staying together and working it out, even if it means that they have to live in separate rooms of the house - because they could not afford to get divorced.

At 8 weeks, if he got his unemployment - he should have had a check by now. Now if he could or couldn't afford to pay your mortgage after paying his own expenses - that is anyone's guess.

Sometimes Domestic Relations will actually reduce the amount that he has to pay - when a person looses their job - due to no fault of their own.
Most times they just say tough and tell you to hit the bricks and look for another job.

My other suggestion would be for you to look for another man to take care of you. It is obvious that you cannot afford to live on your own.

Old 07-22-2010, 10:24 AM

9,846 posts, read 22,586,000 times
I doubt a wife's cut of some guys unemployment check will be enough to pay a mortgage or sustain someone, so I think it's time to go get a job and move on with life.

Old 07-22-2010, 04:10 PM

actually, while I understand your opinion, the court ordered him to pat the mortgage when we first seperated (before the divorce)...my name was not on the mortgage so I was not entitled to any payment information...I, mean while had to pay all the utilities and bills, which I did...for two years while I fought for my divorce...we got no additional monies from him...when we were evicted we had two weeks notice...I have no family in the area and one cannot just impose on friends...the court at that time ordered him to pay emergancy child support of 250 a week -- that with my weekly pay -- made it possible for us to get a hotel room and eat--then when the divorce finally went thru he was ordered to pay us more...now he never paid us what the court had ordered and we had to wait each week to see exactly what he would pay...the court said so long as he was paying something we could do nothing and that eventually he would have to pay all he owed...mean while I had to declare bankruptcy because I could not pay the bills and feed the kids...I am not trying to be evil here but I can't get a place unless I have a substantial amount to put down and as it is we don't have anything to even start with...we lost everything in the eviction...I did not sit around waiting for the bills to get paid...I work everyday at the same job I have had for 30 years...I am a single mother trying to take care of her children...he is a thrice convicted felon who gets away with whatever he wants...I just wanted to know if unemployment was backed-up because if he was indeed getting a check we could at least count on something...thanks for everyones thoughts

Old 03-01-2011, 02:45 PM

1 posts, read 2,113 times
I live in philadelphia and I get unemployment does anyone know of any places where I can rent an apartment??

Last edited by toobusytoday; 03-01-2011 at 08:02 PM.. Reason: fixed typo
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania
View detailed profiles of: