Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-24-2010, 08:19 AM

139 posts, read 366,186 times

Advertisements

Has anyone been in involved in Americorps in Cambria County? There are several positions--teaching, tutoring, workshops--that I am interested in, but would like to know anyone's personal experience with them. Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-31-2010, 10:29 PM

1,932 posts, read 4,792,815 times
I am not in the education field, so I've never worked for them. I do know that AmeriCorp "employees" are funded differently than regular teachers, but they work at schools and other educational facilities. The most recent person I know of worked for AmeriCorp through the Intermediate Unit (8 to be specific). Her supervisor was in Ebensburg, PA but was assigned to work at the Windber High School.

It may not hurt to contact IU8, headquartered in Altoona, for more detailed information.

814-940-0223 == http://www.iu08.org:9080/iu8

Old 08-01-2010, 06:15 PM

I will look into it, and I know how to contact them. I was just wondering if anyone had any personal experience working with or for them.
I am just leaving a company that is taking advantage of its employees, and it would have been nice to have been warned about that. Sometimes you have to take a job whether it sucks or not, but at least if your eyes are open when you go in, you don't feel so violated when they ********* over.
I have only worked for 2 companies in 30 years that were concerned at all about their employees--it is every man (or woman) for themselves.
Anyway, I am a little bitter (can you tell) but am excited about starting a new chapter, changing jobs and meeting new people in my new home town, which I am just loving.

Old 08-01-2010, 09:03 PM

712 posts, read 1,971,412 times
Look at it like this.

They do not pay as much as does a regular school district and when your job assignment is over, you are not entitled to any pensions or benefits.

What it will do is give you some real world experience and some spending money in your pocket. If you do not have a job right now and you do not have any money coming in. Anything is better than nothing.

Look at it as a opportunity to get your foot in the door.

Most school districts - once they get a person to substitute teach, will not hire a person full time, when they know that they can jerk them around and call them 15 minutes before school starts and have them show up on a daily basis.

Full time teachers are a dime a dozen, but to get someone that is willing to work for less money and no benefits and that cannot plan what they are going to do from one day to the next, because they never know when or if they will be called to come to work that day - is real hard to come by.

At least working for Americorps - you will know where you will be working, how many hours a week and what the rate of pay will be.

If you go into a job with a bad attitude, you will never work out.

Take it from someone that has had 69 employers in his lifetime.

Old 08-02-2010, 06:33 AM

Thank you, Honest Bob, that is the info I needed.
(I have had 50 jobs )
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania